Thread: methanol on n/a ls1 with standard ecu?

Tuner in Training

methanol on n/a ls1 with standard ecu?

can standard ecu be used to tune an n/a ls1 on methanol?

Advanced Tuner
    Of course it can. Change stoich value to methanol and tune it like normal.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by matty b View Post
    Of course it can. Change stoich value to methanol and tune it like normal.
    ok I thought could just do that, then just up the ve table to suit? do I need a wideband that reads methanol or the normal one will work?

have you done it before?
    Last edited by Powerhouse; 03-16-2016 at 10:38 PM.

You will need a special wideband.

Methanol reads down to like 3.0 to 7.0.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You will need a special wideband.

Methanol reads down to like 3.0 to 7.0.
    ok no worries and then it'll read with my dyno dynamics software and hptuners?

No idea with the dyno stuff.

But yeah, HP Tuner should be able to read the wideband if you wire it into it. Just running straight meth needs it's own special wideband because of it's really low AFR.

I just don't see the need to run straight methanol on a N/A LS1, that doesn't sound like a power plant that will be making huge numbers and really needing to run this type of fuel.

I can see using a water/meth pump on certain setups though.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    5FDP answered the pertinents. The PCM will do what its programmed to. Running straight methanol is getting into areas where high impedance injectors aren't gonna cut it and you are gonna wanna start looking at standalones so you can run injectors that perform better from a dynamic standpoint. You say NA LS1, are we talking a 5.7 or are we talking some kind of hardcore 7 sec door slammer?

Advanced Tuner
    surprisingly a lot of dumb aussies are running cam'd ls1's on methanol for burnout cars down under. I don't see the point really, in either running methanol on a n/a car or running them with bloody carbies...

E85 is a much better choice for both imo, at least with a boosted car.

I've seen more ls1's go rods out on carb'd methanol tune ups than I can count. I had a guy blow up 3 motors (all threw rods out block) prior to me tuning it, his motor I tuned lasted over 12 months doing more competitions etc then all previous 3 motors combined... he went to another shop to run methanol carb's. first comp he entered blew it up again. I think he's up to engine number 3 again since he switched...

Tuner in Training
    It is a burnout car, Only reason I wanna run meth is to keep it cool, it's a big cammed ls1 5.7ltr with bit more compression. Engine usually has an 8/71 blower on it with mechanical injection but that is off at the moment as replacing a few parts and getting stuff made for new setup.
    So for now it's just the cammed n/a engine in it and still want to skid it, took it to skid last week on just normal 98 octane unleaded and it got hot really quick.
    It has a 2 speed glide in it and sheet metal 9" with 3:0 diff gears so the little ls1 struggles to hold top gear when backing off. So I thought meth would help keep it cooler and can pretty much just hold it at 7000rpm the whole time.

Advanced Tuner
    Just run Ethanol. You dont need methanol unless you like the smell and like buying uber expensive injectors and widebands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    surprisingly a lot of dumb aussies are running cam'd ls1's on methanol for burnout cars down under. I don't see the point really, in either running methanol on a n/a car or running them with bloody carbies...

E85 is a much better choice for both imo, at least with a boosted car.

I've seen more ls1's go rods out on carb'd methanol tune ups than I can count. I had a guy blow up 3 motors (all threw rods out block) prior to me tuning it, his motor I tuned lasted over 12 months doing more competitions etc then all previous 3 motors combined... he went to another shop to run methanol carb's. first comp he entered blew it up again. I think he's up to engine number 3 again since he switched...
    ^^ Amen. The FB experts are generating a cult following for this.

As to the comments about special widebands for methanol. Lambda is lambda and as long as the sensor is capable of supporting methanol or leaded fuel or diesel or LPG then you're good. Also seen plenty of high impedance injectors support meth just fine. You just create extra maintenance for making sure they're flushed.

Tuner in Training
    It used to be e85 with the 8/71 on it and it was never ending problems as the fuel always had dirt or water in it from the bowser and now isn't available anymore, and also was always inconsistent. That's why the blower is off at the moment and getting all parts to change it to meth and can buy methanol by the drum locally aswell for a pretty good price.
    I've got the injectors, fuel system and wideband to run methanol in its n/a form so it's not costing me anymore then what it already has.
    Just wanted to know if the stock ecu could do the job.

Just wanted to know if the stock ecu could do the job.
    Yes

I use a NGK wideband with NTK sensor which will read down to .62 lambda (3.96 AFR with methanol). N/A methanol should be happy 4.75 - 5.0 AFR (.74 - .78 lambda). Methanol is a very forgiving fuel with a generous tuning window (OP - I know you know this already but just throwing this out for others benefit)

what injectors are you running btw?

Tuner in Training
    Ok my dyno reads down to 4.4afr with the alcohol selected.
    I've got it tuned at around .76 lambda and 34 degrees timing with 1000cc injectors at about 60% duty cycle.

Awesome! sounds like you got it going your way! Did you pick up a bunch of power over gasoline with the methanol?

Tuner in Training
    Not sure on the power as it maxes out the 250kmh on the roller dyno, pretty much just wanted to get afr right. It's a burnout car so has powerglide and 3:0 diff gears.