Thread: I'm new to tuning and have a strange question

Tuner in Training

I'm new to tuning and have a strange question

Any help at all is appreciated. I have a 2002 Silverado 5.3 with a turbo and cam. I had this exact setup in a 2003 Silverado and it was professionally tuned but unfortunately I wrecked the truck. I would like to buy Hp Tuners and learn to tune myself. I still have the PCM from the 2003 truck sitting in my garage. I was wondering if I could pull the tune from that PCM and upload it to the 2002 truck. If not, how hard is it to transfer the data in the tables from one PCM to another? One is a Blue/Green connector, and the other is Red/Blue, so I cant just swap them out.
    Last edited by Turbo Silverado; 03-07-2016 at 07:21 PM.

You would need to have a setup to power up the ecm to remove the file.

Tuner in Training
    I still have the whole wire harness from the 03 truck. I planed on buying a OBD2 port from ebay and wiring it up to 12V to power it up. I just wanted to make sure that copying the info from one and transferring it to another wasn't too difficult. If its something fairly simple then I will buy Hp Tuners Pro.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Silverado View Post
    I still have the whole wire harness from the 03 truck. I planed on buying a OBD2 port from ebay and wiring it up to 12V to power it up. I just wanted to make sure that copying the info from one and transferring it to another wasn't too difficult. If its something fairly simple then I will buy Hp Tuners Pro.
    Most likely it is tuner locked and you will not be able to access the data. Second, was your 03 DBW? If so, most likely the 02 is not and copying and pasting tables is not gonna help you much. Just start from scratch and learn to tune. Computers in cars are not going away anytime soon........
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Tuner in Training
    I know that it isn't locked for sure but the 03 is DBW and the 02 isn't. The tables would be different on the DBW vs the cable?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Silverado View Post
    I know that it isn't locked for sure but the 03 is DBW and the 02 isn't. The tables would be different on the DBW vs the cable?
    Yes. Get a stock 03 5.3 and a stock 02 5.3 tune and use the compare feature to verify the differences. You may be able to work through it but, by the time you get it sorted out, you might as well started from scratch.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfarlnd View Post
    Yes. Get a stock 03 5.3 and a stock 02 5.3 tune and use the compare feature to verify the differences. You may be able to work through it but, by the time you get it sorted out, you might as well started from scratch.
    Thank you so much for the help. I'm ordering HP Tuners tomorrow then. Where is a good place to download the stock tunes from?

There are stock 2003 5.3 tunes in the HPTuners repository: HPTuners.com/customers/tune.php
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP