Thread: 2006 Cobalt running rich / Stalls

Potential Tuner

2006 Cobalt running rich / Stalls

I attached a log file. Purchased a 2006 cobalt ss/sc, starts right up but loves to stall usually once you start driving and come to a stop sign. Smells rich from the exhaust pipe (and is drinking gas badly). Runs fine while accelerating. Was hoping maybe someone would see a major problem from my log file. To me it looks like the o2 sensor is maxing out as rich.... Should the throttle position be where its at before i start the car? any ideas where to start? Log starts from b4 I start the car, and is idling, I do step on the gas a little bit near the end of the log.run time.hpl

LSJ with M62 Supercharger
    ZZP 2.8 Pulley
    ZZP 1.0 PCM (06 C SS H 60# 827S ZZPCAI) (REID 113657)
    DC Sports Header
    Exhaust
    AEM CAI
    Other mods?

Senior Tuner
    the problem lies with three letters in that ecm. Canned tunes do not work on lsj's. Need to get the trims back in line, or fix the problem that is causing the issue.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Potential Tuner
    So basically I should get a new PCM and start with a fresh tune and try to get it perfect. I was told this car ran fine about 6 months ago and was parked for winter. Any idea what sensors could cause such a bad issue with A/F and idle? I'm kinda thinking about the MAF, possibly MAP and o2. It is throwing a code for the o2 (p0132) and I know these cars need their MAF and throttle bodies cleaned time to time...

Advanced Tuner
    No, you can tune that PCM. You just need a custom tune. Even ZZP will tell you that their tunes are just bandaids to help your car survive long enough to get a proper tune.

That's why they are $125........The real deal costs more than that.

And the LSJ is a picky picky SOB

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info psykosteve, just hard when you have no idea the history, or mods done to the car and who tuned it etc. I tried to read the pcm in HP tuners 3.0 editer, with my mpvi interface but I get a error "Controller Unlocker: X11 Service Not Support" which I have another thread open about. I was told that the PCM most likely is locked. Any way to unlock one?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if it has been tuner locked the only way you can unlock it is if you know the person who originally tuned it so his password can be entered.
    If that is not an option then you will have to buy a new computer. might be able to recover it with a gm reflash but i dont remember if they can flash over a locked access.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Thankyou cobaltssoverbooster. That's what I was afraid of. Probably easier for me to just to buy a used stock PCM, I'm sure it would be more cost effective than the dealer.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    if it has been tuner locked the only way you can unlock it is if you know the person who originally tuned it so his password can be entered.
    If that is not an option then you will have to buy a new computer. might be able to recover it with a gm reflash but i dont remember if they can flash over a locked access.
    ^ This is unfortunately true. ^

I do not like locking ECU's for this reason. If I were to head down the route of protecting my work I would prefer to use the newer methodology of making the written tune a slave to my cable ID. This would allow a future tuner to come in and write their own tune, and save mine as a backup, but not open the tune and observe or compare data. I haven't ventured into that area yet, but that appears to be a high level explanation of how the Master/Slave encoding works on the newer HPT software.

Senior Tuner
    wait a second. since when can you lock the lsj ecm?
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    ZZP does not lock ECU's, you should be able to read it.

Edit: I should probably add I've gotten one of their ECU's a few years ago, wasn't an issue back then.

Potential Tuner
    Ccrunner84, it could of been tuned by someone else after the zzp tune, not sure since it's a used car.

And thanks steve, I totally agree, guess it's time for a pcm, going to try to read it one more time today before I order a used one that hasn't been tuned before.