Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who needs help with LNF's

Tuner
    it's winter, i'm not tuning any of my cars until March, or more likely April.
    Besides, the questions i would have are more about the "approach" of doing things, or "strategy", and i need a bit more testing before i post my opinions here.

Advanced Tuner
    Most of tuning is applying theory and seeing real world results and seeing what all truly effects things. Post what you think or what questions you have. I'm out of the tuning game now and I don't want to move on with everything I've done, so screw it, let's help each other out. I think giving tables and stuff is the wrong approach to have people truly learn, but others always argued with me, so ask and I'll tell what I know and post whatever tables I can to go along with it.

I need to do lots of reading lol. looks completly different from lsj. I did one lnf in 09 but only tuned the maf for him. its like starting all over as a newbie

Potential Tuner
    What about idle tuning? I've researched a lot, but I seem to be in the minority with my setup. Ever tuned an auto LNF with zzp maf relocate and cat warmup off? My issue is I can tune my maf at idle in Park like cssob explains in one of his threads, but then I get idle surge during normal driving at stop lights, etc. when in gear. During my regular logging if I don't idle much in Park, all the idle cells with hits are from sitting at lights, etc. while in gear. That fixes the idle surge at stops in gear, but then get surge while in Park lol. Right now I've kind of got an average of both, and it's working ok. Timing isn't the smoothest, normally bouncing around between 10 and 15 advanced, but it's doable. Would working with the DALs help this? I've tried adjusting them in the idle areas, but seems to make things worse either way I go. Thanks for any suggestions Mike.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloBoost View Post
    What about idle tuning? I've researched a lot, but I seem to be in the minority with my setup. Ever tuned an auto LNF with zzp maf relocate and cat warmup off? My issue is I can tune my maf at idle in Park like cssob explains in one of his threads, but then I get idle surge during normal driving at stop lights, etc. when in gear. During my regular logging if I don't idle much in Park, all the idle cells with hits are from sitting at lights, etc. while in gear. That fixes the idle surge at stops in gear, but then get surge while in Park lol. Right now I've kind of got an average of both, and it's working ok. Timing isn't the smoothest, normally bouncing around between 10 and 15 advanced, but it's doable. Would working with the DALs help this? I've tried adjusting them in the idle areas, but seems to make things worse either way I go. Thanks for any suggestions Mike.
    Your Optimum spark is too high in the coast down idle area's.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    Idle is a big one that a lot of tables will effect it. I will make a new write up tonight and I will go over a lot of different stuff. I'll try to have it done tonight, but no guarantees. I'll even show some stuff I've done to make idle stick around 18deg timing and allow for a smoother transition into the throttle where you won't see false KR when you tap the gas. Keep in mind that the tables I will post will not be universal. Each setup, and each location of tuning (different states and cities etc) will all change it. Getting idle perfect is a pain but is completely doable.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    No one wants help with any table? I will give free advice and even include tables, and no one jumps at it? Everyone complains that we hold onto so much info, and they demand we share tunes, and I'm offering full details on how tables work and no one asks any questions.
    Hey Mike,

What about throttle hang in-between shifts or when pushing the clutch in? Is this a symptom of shifting the Constant for fueling with ethanol?
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Advanced Tuner
    To be honest, I never really researched throttle hang. I've seen it worse in some tunes vs others, and if I had to take a good guess it most likely has to do with OP Spark. Those tables control the throttle blade in most every way, and usually I saw it worse when I was making a more full out race tune. If I was to take a really good guess, I would say smooth out the table the way I describe in my write-up, avoid having too high of numbers which is what cause the throttle to want to be further open, and most likely it won't hang. My best guess on why I say that is because there is a point to where the throttle won't open any quicker, but we are asking too much of it through the OP Spark Table (which is an urgency table) and it is causing the hang. Again I have no evidence of this, but if you are noticing the issue, I would only make changes to those tables and see if you can fix the problem.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    To be honest, I never really researched throttle hang. I've seen it worse in some tunes vs others, and if I had to take a good guess it most likely has to do with OP Spark. Those tables control the throttle blade in most every way, and usually I saw it worse when I was making a more full out race tune. If I was to take a really good guess, I would say smooth out the table the way I describe in my write-up, avoid having too high of numbers which is what cause the throttle to want to be further open, and most likely it won't hang. My best guess on why I say that is because there is a point to where the throttle won't open any quicker, but we are asking too much of it through the OP Spark Table (which is an urgency table) and it is causing the hang. Again I have no evidence of this, but if you are noticing the issue, I would only make changes to those tables and see if you can fix the problem.
    Appreciate Mike. I can't say that my OS is aggressive at all, especially in the lower loads? I'll have to play around with it.

Advanced Tuner
    It could be some other torque related tables. I've used so many methods of tuning (depending on what people wanted out of the car) that I never bothered narrowing that issue down. It was never a concern. If it is at idle it could just be that the tables don't flow correctly. I mention it a little in my idle post. You may check that out and see if that helps any.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Hey Mike,

What about throttle hang in-between shifts or when pushing the clutch in? Is this a symptom of shifting the Constant for fueling with ethanol?
    Bill has figured this out before when he did auto x testing. im pretty sure its related to high rpm low load dal request and optimum spark. try searching his posts, it should still be up in the forum.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Waldner View Post
    cobalt ss. so manual
    OH, there be some 4-speed auto LNF Sedans.......so so rare

Advanced Tuner
    He is well known on cobalt forums . Ya first I wanna get my tune good. But, I blew my 3rd gear today so that will have to wait.
    You really do have a ZFR.......they are notorious for sheering off the teeth in the transmission. So much power.

Advanced Tuner
    Too be honest, the only car I would really want to see the ZFR on is the automatic Kappa's. Every other LNF car I think is a bad car to have that turbo on. That is just my opinion. I honestly feel there is a lot better options out there then that turbo.

Potential Tuner
    Wondering what your other choices and recommendations are for turbos? Was looking at upgrading at some point to a ZFR. Seem like they are okay with a boost ramp. Interested to know your thoughts.

Advanced Tuner
    PSmith, that would depend on which car you have, what setup you currently have, what you are planning on using the car for, and what your overall goals are. That's how a turbo should be picked.

Boost ramping a turbo in my opinion is a bit ridiculous. Why do you need a big turbo to have that much power at that low of an rpm? That just tells me you don't know how to drive your car if you have to have it spool that low.

At least that is my opinion.

Advanced Tuner
    There is some need to have a turbo spool that low, but a lot of applications don't require it, and people still want it.

Tuner in Training
    Can u explain dal table to me? where do u want ur tuned dal for wot?

Advanced Tuner
    Can u explain dal table to me? where do u want ur tuned dal for wot?
    Courtesy of Chris@HPT

Desired air load - This table is what the ECM uses to translate the final desired torque (after limiting) to a desired air load, this value then gets used by the ETC code to control the throttle such that the desired air load = the measured air load (ie. measured by the MAF). In theory this should control the boost as well (more than confirmed as of now, this was posted WAY back when)

Optimum engine torque - this is the inverse of the air load table, it takes the air load and RPM and calculates the base engine torque.

Max air load table - this table is used by the ECM to calculate the maximum desired air load allowed. The torque value here is fed into the desired air load table and the resulting air load lookup is used as a maximum that the regular (pedal torque based) air load cannot exceed.

All of these are interrelated tables. Read this to better understand how - http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ad-Information
    Last edited by T-Man; 02-24-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll try to post up tonight with a write-up about DAL's and other tables that relate to it. It'll be a good write-up.