Thread: Need help with initial tune for idle

Tuner in Training

Need help with initial tune for idle

I read the how to idle guides, but I'm still having trouble.

1 bar SD enhancement, no maf at all on car. Starts fine idles according to AEM wideband gauge full red LED with "---" display. Scanner is saying 18.8. Reading through the EGR pcm pin. However, I pulled plugs to check and they are very black as if car is rich.

Any help/guidance with changes would be appreciated. Am I going about this in the right order by trying to set idle first and get the "idle adapt (STIT) as close to 0 as possible (if it would idle long enough)

Also just FYI, car only has long tube header, I have not finished the full exhaust if that makes a difference. Wideband is after the merge collector a couple inches before the end.

current file with 2.24 editor
    2.24 current.hpt

current file with 2.25 beta
    5.hpt

start and idle log until car shut itself off
    idle 8 - 5.hpl
    Last edited by Mysta Joe; 01-13-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Plugs are black because fuel trims are adding 75% fuel by the end of the log because the NB O2 voltages are so low. Fuel trims are trying to drive the O2s above 450mv. Almost looks like you are running open exhaust or open headers with NB O2s close to the opening. Is that the case? You can't run closed loop with open exhaust. If you need to run the car with open exhaust reset the fuel trims and unplug the O2s so it stays in open loop.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 01-16-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks 2xLS1.

Yes, just as you thought and asked, currently open headers only. The NB o2's are less than 6 inches from the opening. I thought that may be the issue so I decided to stop worrying about trying to test/figure it out until I finish the full exhaust. Hoping the piping gets to me this week so I can finish my complete exhaust.

I'll update once done.

first make sure your injector data is exact then you need to tune the VE table completely.

then you need to use the RussK idle config from a cold start to dial in your base running airflow.

then tune your idle ve cells again....make sure your spark is correct for your application as well.