Thread: BlueCat VE Program

Tuner in Training

BlueCat VE Program

Can someone give me the Cliffs notes on this program and why it is essential to tuning? Also, where can a copy of this be obtained?

Thanks!!!!

Advanced Tuner
    You should be able to search it out in the forums. Its useful in Virtual Volumetric tables where the # in the table doesn't match your hp tuners #'s.. He basically wrote a program to decipher between the two, making tuning the VVE tables easier if I recall correctly.
    Thanks,

Dustin

APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

Use 2.25 beta instead
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by old66tiger View Post
    Can someone give me the Cliffs notes on this program and why it is essential to tuning? Also, where can a copy of this be obtained?

Thanks!!!!
    The short version is newer ECM's (E38 and newer) don't have a VE table. They use equations/coefficients that the ECM plugs MAP/RPM values into and it calculate a VE value that way. Works great for the ECM.. but it makes it pretty impossible for a human to just edit like you would a regular VE table. Open up a stock tune for pretty much anything made since 2007 and go under airflow-->speed density. Start looking at some of those tables.. that's what the computer uses for figuring out what the volumetric efficiency is. Good luck editing those!

Bluecat's (and 2.25 beta) will show you what the VE table would look like (base off those equations/coefficients). You can then make changes and it will calculate new coefficients that match the VE table you want.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Before the 2.25 Beta, and the Blue Cat tool, how did people program with the basic HP Tuners tool?

-Ran MAF only, disabling SD/VE altogether
    -Used custom OS's that HPTuners and others have developed that add back a regular VE table

Tuner in Training
    Has anybody had issues with HPtuners 2bar OS not working properly? Link http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ged-Conversion

I'm just wondering if I should try the bluecat tool? Thoughts?

That sounds more like tuner error and/or bad injector data

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    That sounds more like tuner error and/or bad injector data
    Look at my VE table and then my log file - it doesn't make sense. I have positive fuel trims at light to medium load. My VE map has no change in values from light map to high map. I know my injector data is correct. I would love to be proved wrong.. For some reason this file also has an issue with not ramping ignition timing in for an idle under speed event even though I have not changed the under speed ignition timing map from the factory cal...

Quote Originally Posted by rob82 View Post
    Look at my VE table and then my log file - it doesn't make sense. I have positive fuel trims at light to medium load. My VE map has no change in values from light map to high map. I know my injector data is correct. I would love to be proved wrong.. For some reason this file also has an issue with not ramping ignition timing in for an idle under speed event even though I have not changed the under speed ignition timing map from the factory cal...
    Change the VE table based on fuel trims / wideband error. That's tuning 101. I truly don't understand the problem. If it's wrong then fix it.

Fuel trims are like over 20% in some areas, negative in others. Fix it.

Your min airflow table looks like crap, that's probably part of the idle problem.

You also need to log VE airflow and delete out MAF airflow if the MAF is not being used. Otherwise the g/cyl calculations in VCM Scanner can be wrong.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 01-15-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Change the VE table based on fuel trims / wideband error. That's tuning 101. I truly don't understand the problem. If it's wrong then fix it.

Fuel trims are like over 20% in some areas, negative in others. Fix it.

Your min airflow table looks like crap, that's probably part of the idle problem.

You also need to log VE airflow and delete out MAF airflow if the MAF is not being used. Otherwise the g/cyl calculations in VCM Scanner can be wrong.
    You're not understanding the problem - look at 6min mark on that trace I'm at 3000rpm, 55kpa at light load, 38% throttle my fuel trims are centered about +2%. As I go onto higher load with the rpm fixed my map goes to 94kpa while still in closed loop operation my fuel trims stay around the same mark centered about +2%. Look at my tune at 3000rpm at 55 to 95kpa - it has the same value at 55kpa as it does at 95kpa.. If you understand the VE of any throttled spark ignited engine you would understand that this is not normal - hence I have spent very little time tuning the VE as I believe it is scripted incorrectly... I have not had this problem with early OS's...

Ok, I'll take another look in a bit and try to see what you're seeing.

Is the MAF unplugged or disabled or what?

Do you have the stock file for this vehicle?

Tuner in Training
    I update the post that I linked to with the two latest files. I have now replaced the ECU as I was working from a modified (non standard) calibration and was unsure if there was an issue with a table that wasn't addressed within HPtuners software. Both cal's have now done the same thing once updating to 2bar speed density tune..
    Last edited by rob82; 01-16-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Can someone reupload it ?

Senior Tuner
    Post 3 has the link. Still works.