Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LS3 fan stays on.

Senior Tuner
    ooh mine might be different then mine is "discrete" fans 2, PWM 128hz

Tuner in Training
    Ok on Dyno today, it appears Jon S was on the money.

Fan will switch off after ~10sec once you start moving over ~40Kmph, but stationary fan will not switch off when it has switched on no matter what the coolant temp.

So i guess there isn't really a problem, i just find it weird that it would be set-up that way as sitting in traffic you get the fan roaring no matter what the engine temp is once its got hot enough to switch on. Can't be good to over tax the fan like that apart from making the engine run too cold/swing to far on temps. Guess it a hang over from the fans being PWM/variable speed...and if they were it would only run them real slow, maybe i need to complicate my life with a fan driver/what ever and run variable.... is that done in the fan or is there a module ??

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oversteer View Post
    Ok on Dyno today, it appears Jon S was on the money.

Fan will switch off after ~10sec once you start moving over ~40Kmph, but stationary fan will not switch off when it has switched on no matter what the coolant temp.

So i guess there isn't really a problem, i just find it weird that it would be set-up that way as sitting in traffic you get the fan roaring no matter what the engine temp is once its got hot enough to switch on. Can't be good to over tax the fan like that apart from making the engine run too cold/swing to far on temps. Guess it a hang over from the fans being PWM/variable speed...and if they were it would only run them real slow, maybe i need to complicate my life with a fan driver/what ever and run variable.... is that done in the fan or is there a module ??
    I have same situation with the fans. If this appears to be only right answer, then problem is that I don?t have speed signal in the vehicle.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahne View Post
    I have same situation with the fans. If this appears to be only right answer, then problem is that I don?t have speed signal in the vehicle.
    Yeah that's the thing i was going to mention also, if you have the gmpp kit it states all over it that the speed signal is optional....but then you'll have the fan issue and also you'll get the issue of not idling down correctly and or stalling when you come to a stop(what mine uses to do when i initially didn't have vss)....iirc it also through a code about it !

As i found also with this and my other E38 ecm car you must have a speed signal for everything to work correctly, i looked into gps vss options(as i also was using a gps speedo) but nothing i found will give a waveform speed signal like the ecm wants, only digital pulse stuff like the ecm spits out for dash etc(when you have a speed signal hooked up). I solved this with in my other car by installing a crank angle sensor into the side of the transfer case to pick-up the big pto gear spinning.

Good work GMPP...complete retro fit solution my arse.

Has anyone figured out a way to make it work without a speed sensor. We are using this setup in off road applications and we have no provisions for speed sensor. Also in a lot of instances we would not even be traveling at 40 kph.

Advanced Tuner
    See post #12.

The parameters required to make the GMPP fan function like a production vehicle, are not available in the software.

These yet to be uncovered parameters would likely include a speed component and a timer component.

GMPP made these changes in the later (newer) ECMs.

You (or multiple people) would need to contact HPT support, to see if these parameters could be added to the software. These are only in use (active) in the later GMPP E67 ECMs.

Tuner in Training
    Its either that or the simple and maybe quicker fix would be to rig up a speed signal off a wheel or driveshaft..... using a crank sensor with a magnet in it(this type of sensor will pick up moving metal, rather than the no magnet sensors which need to see a magnet flying past it) i use a subaru crank angle sensor.

....or install a separate fan controller module with it own temp sensor.

Yeah, any of those would work. Even if the speed signal isn't perfect.. at least if you can give it something it'll help turn the fans off once you're moving
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    these are my settings fan 1 is on at 81 deg fan 2 is on at 85 deg and then fan 2 off at 81 deg and fan 1 off at 79 deg

I used these fan settings on a 07 LS2 with an E38 ECU with only one fan controlled by a relay. They worked perfectly. I was experiencing an engine on fans running all the time condition, once I switched to a discrete fan setting. (I smoked a relay in PWM first) The fan now comes on at 203* and shuts of at 192*. Just thought I'd share my findings. This is my first post and there is so much info on here if you are patient and look hard enough. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Snakepit Customs; 12-11-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakepit Customs View Post
    I used these fan settings on a 07 LS2 with an E38 ECU with only one fan controlled by a relay. They worked perfectly. I was experiencing an engine on fans running all the time condition, once I switched to a discrete fan setting. (I smoked a relay in PWM first) The fan now comes on at 203* and shuts of at 192*. Just thought I'd share my findings. This is my first post and there is so much info on here if you are patient and look hard enough. Thanks everyone.
    Can you repost these settings, please? Or anyone else who found a fix... NOTHING IS WORKING and it is driving me bonkers. My SPAL fans run 24/7 as soon as the car is started. (photo not found)

Potential Tuner
    hi yep im keen to see these settings as well

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakepit Customs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_GenesisCoupe View Post
    Can you repost these settings, please? Or anyone else who found a fix... NOTHING IS WORKING and it is driving me bonkers. My SPAL fans run 24/7 as soon as the car is started. (photo not found)

BUMP

Can anyone help please?

See Above quoted text~
    Having the same dillema, GMPP E67 here .. controlling one fan .. Finnaly got it coming on.. but wont shut off ... runs all the time once the car is started.

TIA

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry6 View Post
    BUMP

Can anyone help please?

See Above quoted text~
    Having the same dillema, GMPP E67 here .. controlling one fan .. Finnaly got it coming on.. but wont shut off ... runs all the time once the car is started.

TIA
    BUMP...just bumping the post to see if any cure was found before I wire the fan externally.

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    See posts #12, 22, and 26.

The later CPP (GMPP) E67 fan controls have different underlying parameters than an OEM calibration. There is likely an additional speed parameter and a timer (or hysteresis) parameter that is not available in any tuning software.

The staff at HPT would have to review the code, in hopes of identifying these unique parameters. This is highly time consuming, and is only necessary for the later CPP (GMPP) operating systems - so doubtful this would happen.

Tuner in Training
    similar issue I posted days ago with E38 controls. Latent speed parameter is 16 kph for low end....if sitting still everyone should be under this parameter so there must be something else. Anyone try in gear / out of gear scenario? (tomorrows plan)