Thread: Hot Start Flare

Hot Start Flare

Hi everyone, I have a 2100rpm flare on a hot startup. I don't see any flare control tables anywhere that some have wrote about in a few threads. I tried taking 20% out of the startup airflow tables from 198 all the way to the high end of the table and it doesn't seem to change it. Anymore ideas what to look at?

Try taking out more and see what happens

There's also a cranking VE table you might try messing with
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Try giving it more ignition timing retard in the startup flare table...
    Look in Engine-Spark-Advance-Misc-Startup Flare Control and it's multiplier table.

Log your startups and see what ignition timing and airflow are doing. You can also try cutting back on Base Running Airflow ECT Multiplier in the hot cells, you may simply be getting too much airflow still. It's really hard to diagnose though without cranking and startup logs. It would be nice to know what engine/mods too. Startup flare is totally fixable, it's either airflow or ign timing that's too much right after the engine fires. Fuel mixture has an effect, but only if it's way off and running super lean or rich.

Thanks i will post a hot start log as soon as i can so you can see what is going on,most likely tomorrow. Engine is L9H 6.2 Mods= headers, cam, supercharged,90mmTB,Meth,850injectors
    Last edited by PDYoung; 11-29-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Can't figure out how to post a log !!!! I did find the Start up flare control table. I messed with the multipler,i changed the last two cells to 1.00 ,then changed them to .5, didn't seem to do a lot. How do i post a log ? I'm still going to take somemore air out of the start up table,just want to try the flare tables some more. If some one can look at one of my hot start logs that knows what to look for,i'll go that route before i try anything else.
    Last edited by PDYoung; 11-30-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Here is a short hot start,i think i figured out how to post a log
    Attached Files Attached Files

Finally got the hot start flare under control. I could not get it to hot start the way i wanted with the hot start flare tables. I kept tweaking the start up airflow tables until it was under control. It took about 15 changes to the 198 row of cells to get what i wanted, a lot of trail and error to find out, at which cells in the 4 second time spread that are given, did what. Thanks to schpenxel for your advice on keep taking away from the start up airflow table

Now if I could just figure this out on my own car, lol

I'm getting ready to add a cold air tube and go another 1/4 smaller on the blower pulley, i hope this doesn't upset all my start up tweaking,if it does,at least i have a better understanding of how to fix it

Mine has been fine except when starting after it's been off for about 30 minutes. It starts but starts out at very low RPM's and eventually works its way up. Hot restarts are fine.. cold starts fine.. just hot restarts. I'm assuming the IAT is heat soaked bad at that point

I started my truck cold and let it run until the ECT reached the next temp in the table, shut it off and tried to restart it, if it started ok i let it run until i was into the next temp range and so on. I did this up to the 198 range which goes up to the next temp at 211. Then i just made the rest of the table the same down to the end. Seems to work good from where ever i start it. Waiting for some freezing temps so i can check the low temps. But with this Global Warming, Climate Change happening so fast, it may never freeze here in Maryland again, that Obama is a smart guy,NOT.