Thread: lowest rpm for torque converter to be locked without damaging

Tuner

lowest rpm for torque converter to be locked without damaging

what is the lowest rpm I can have my tc lock up I had to raise my shift points a few because with bigger tires and a 3.42 it bogg down if its in 4ht gear from 26-32 mph when I get on gas after having to slow down so I had to raise my shift points and points for the converter but I heard it should never be under 1200 rpm or it will be slipping too much at low rpms anyone got a answer for me thanks guys

Tuner

Tuner
    guess no1 knows I heard it was 1200 rpm I need to stay higher than that but it could of been some bullshit I read it on the internet just wonder if anyone has anything to chime in with even if its an idk atleast you posted unlike the 30 others that viewed and didn't know

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know the answer for your specific car, but on my 2012 Impala (3.6L LFX, 6T70 6-speed), the TCC is active at RPMs below 1200...

I've personally never heard that you should only lock the converter above 1200RPM.

Tuner
    k thanks for the imput

I've not had any issues lugging it down to 1000 (knock on wood). I did have a truck that would still walk up hills in overdrive at 900 rpm. Sure miss the torque of that one!