Thread: 07 25hd towing

07 25hd towing

just a quick question. does anyone here have expierience with vvt tuning for TOWING. main complaint is lack of midrange torque to haul a trailer the is at the higher end of acceptable gvw for a gas job to tow. i am guessing to lower the cam advance? it's a stock 07 hd ly6 6.slow w a six speed trans. thanks in advance.

update now i won't get the truck until sunday because he needs it to haul saturday. i will be posting what i discover stay tuned for your regularly scheduled program.

wish i could give you insight, but i have none. You're pretty much my insight as i have just started reading up on the VVT stuff. I'll be following your findings and efforts.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

k so far took it for a rip spark goes WAY low in his area of concern which is the root of his complaint. increasing throttle, power declines up an incline until BAM is unlocks downshifts and screams like rob halford. I did warn him these things are meant to rev high while hauling. Nature of the beast but with 285s and 373s it almost feels like a clogged cat or restricted fuel filter..both have been checked. zero psi backpressure and 58 psi fuel pressure. you can watch the tps go up and spark go down. no kr to speak of. i think under max was 5 blocks of 1 degree of kr. so spark gets dialed up to start. i also am correcting for 2857516s being installed. i have 2 tunes to start one w high copied to low. then one w cam delete just to see. After i post this will then prepare a 4 degree cam decrease tune just to play. i will correct for spark if need be if the high octane is too much. also plan on carving up the stock air box to hopefully lower iats and also double check accuracy when i get to work in the am.davestocklog.hpl
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've had a few friends come to me with lack of power, just to find out they changed tire size and didn't adjust the ecm. Made all the difference on all 3 of them.

k so night log run and day one. to and from work 17 miles each way. Dave left 1000 lbs approx in the bed to help simulate a light load for the truck. this is a tow rig not a show truck or hot rod....yet. found lots of room for improvement in the lower left quadrant of the spark tables where his complaint occurs. tweaked timing about 6 times to bring it to the outer edge. 0 kr but only 1 degree from happening. corrected tire size and now i want to know what pattern corrects my towing tcc. stock intake save for a small airbox mod and stock exhaust. already can feel a difference. gonna run stock and finished back to back to feel for a difference. unfortunately i don't have a dyno. found not great info for the owner peak tq and hp are higher in the rpm range than he likes to wander.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...-what-ly6.html
    Last edited by Howes; 08-03-2015 at 07:53 PM.

Howes.....PM sent, i've got something for you!
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

so i think i have the spark nailed down pretty good only like 1 rogue degree once in a while because he runs 87 there isn't much wiggle room unfortunately. other than that i am trying a couple hack tricks to keep it in closed loop and just have a tiny touch more fuel. i was looking at hypertech's site and they can't get much out of this thing (15 horse 40 lbft higher in the range) until you buy stage 2 that is a cam. then HELLO it becomes a player. also note in MY findings they set the cam timing for vvt so well vvt did'nt affect anything that i could feel. also the vvt actuation is lower in the ve columns than where my customers complaint was. this motor trans combo is funky anyone driving one could tell you that. to me with the small tweaks i have made it feel less hurky jerky more fluid it takes less throttle to get the same effect . just w tire size correction it locks and unlocks at a lot better tp and speed much more fluid.it does have tcc adjustments on pattern b for tow haul which seem to help. i know someone will ultimately say tune for pe and my answer is that this is yet another vehicle tune not meant for it stock so when i tried envoking it i was doing the hokey pokey and my trans was as decisive as my wife.power was all over the place bad. i actually only made it about 5 miles and went and changed it back.vvt may have played a role in the really rolling wierd feeling in pe. i bet it could have fluctated 5mph at steady throttle. also note i did cut his air box up but everything else is stock so no extra air to play w either to speak of.. did the mod for heat soak issues.
    stupid simple tune i am dissapointed in.... ranger says he has a little sumpin to look at and review. not surprised in this result considering most of the posts said the same thing. it's a boat anchor...i mean motor.

how do u delete files in your manage file window. i have lots of old. this tune file won't upload again because it's named the same?

Hypertech gets their claim of fame by increasing rpm limit no gains in the real world

i see... hypertech still only claims not much increase..... edge has a programmer claiming like 40 horse and 50 lbft roughly. i know edge is good stuff and may do what it says but unfortunately it's prolly still up high in the rpm range. why on earth would you make a heavy duty truck motor with the max power around redline? WHY? released it back to the customer. explained what i did and tried told him to call me if he wants to go further and do some mods and run premium fuel or put a cam in it. i may attempt some cam timing changes if he brings it back but that will be a shot in the dark. it's nothing earth shattering but jist these small changes made the truck climb hills better and the transition on to haul tcc lockup less dramatic. i was hoping for more. i'll prolly try to get him back to add cam timing later. a little birdy gave me some ideas today. question... i know advancing cam timing is normally for egr but if u chase it up w spark will it really make more power cause ill just advance cam timing everywhere right?
    Last edited by Howes; 08-05-2015 at 09:16 PM.

I was kidding. I am hoping he gives me his truck next week again to see what I can do with mild cam timing.