Thread: No MAF and no MAP readings on this 5.3L/e38 swap

No MAF and no MAP readings on this 5.3L/e38 swap

Hello HP Tuners Forums.

I have a friend who is working on a resto-mod. He got the complete (long block/trans/ECM & TCM) swap and has it installed in a 60's Impala. He used a pre-made harness and this isn't his first build, so I believe the wiring is done correctly.

The engine turns over but won't start. I have observed via the scanner that both the MAF and the MAP are not reading. The MAF airflow doesn't change much when cranking (stays right near 0) and the MAP is stuck at a low reading (21kpa) and doesn't change.
    The IAT reads -40F. My friend checked the pin-out at the MAF connection plug on the harness and reports that all the connections are good and voltage is being supplied.

I checked for spark and it is good and strong. I had him spray some carb cleaner into the intake manifold while I cranked the engine, and it started up and ran for a second. This proves to me that spark timing is correct.

But, I don't understand why the computer is not reading the MAF nor the MAP.
    Injector pulse widths are short and the commanded equivalency ratio is low. If we could get the load sensors (MAF/MAP) to work, I think the engine will run fine.

So, the installed tune/calibration, config, and a scan file are all attached to this message. Please ignore the wideband reading, as it is not installed or hooked-up.

e38 computer reports that the engine is from a 2007 Tahoe/Yukon, VIN 0, LMG engine code 5.3L FlexFuel - stock cam
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by KFZ)^; 06-24-2015 at 06:16 PM.
    2001 Corvette Z06

OK, so my friend just called to tell me that he figured out the problem.

The MAP wires were evidently mis-labeled on the harness. He fixed that and now the engine is starting and idling fine.
    2001 Corvette Z06