Thread: Went to the track today. Loggin'... more ?

Advanced Tuner

Went to the track today. Loggin'... more ?

Went to the track today and ran a personal best. Old best was 13.36@104. Today it ran [email protected] and 13.05@106. I was logging a bunch of runs. I have some questions and I have attached some scans. Can someone look at them? I'm concerned about the knock retard at the top of 3rd gear around 100-105 mpg. I think its going lean. The air was cold so I'm really afraid when it get warm out that the car will be even worse. I used Tim's VE, PE, and MAF table. Any comments much appreciated.
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Should also mention I had COT disabled. Possibly that made it lean? I turned it off to make the car more consistant.

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    i wonder how lean you are if any...commanded afr of 12.7-13.0:1 with nothing but a cut/paste of a ve/maf table wouldnt be my first recommendation. Good times/mph though on way or the other.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Well here what I have deduced from the logs

Now 1st and 2nd engine revs too quick for knock to set in, but on 3rd which seem to spend all it time in peak torque. Now look at the O2's readings, yes I know that they "not excat" but look at the reading first two gears they read above 902 slowly slide to 880, but by the end of second gear there in 860-840 and 3rd spends all its time "working" or "lugging" at this time in the 840-850 range. So something getting hot(inside cylinder) by end of the run or going to lean around peak torque.

So add fuel around peak torque and test
    Or pulling timing around 4400 to 5200(around peak torque) repeat.

But .05 to 1.5 of knock not all that bad either, could be just gas you got that day too.
    2009 G8 GT ... stock... DD

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Sold: 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8100 vortec RCLB [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    How do you know where peak torque and peak hp are?

I think its running 12.7 up there, so what should I set it to? 12.6 for 4000+? Is it better to add fuel and leave timing in or pull timing and add fuel? Would COT being disabled make me lean?

I think I am only seeing 22-25 degrees at WOT.

Tuner
    I am assuming that your stock.

stock 05 m6 should be comparable.
    Dyno of stock 05 m6 factory tune.
    http://ls1gto.com/forums/attachment....4&d=1136078587

far as what to do, do a test and tune day. personally I would add a small amount of fuel in those areas. or pull timing and see if exist still. One reason why a dyno and WB are needed for preision tune.

Also went for a couple of rips tonight, other find that my rotors are glazed and junk. My O2s do the same as yours. but get random knock, can do 2-3 rips no knock, next rip that pesty little red line goes up.
    Try out the 6046 in the Brake Torque table you mention. I know want it does. Apparently controlls ETC opening rate or something to that affect. Never could get tire turn over from a 15 roll. no problem now. Got me wondering if one played with it enough, could one get it to do a control launch, so on the last amber, just press the pedal down. hmmmm.... good bracket racing idea???.....
    2009 G8 GT ... stock... DD

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Sold: 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8100 vortec RCLB [email protected]

Tuner
    You can try going richer (would not go below 12.5) but I would work the timing before going richer. Just log a histogram of knock retard and you will know exactly what areas need to be reduced. It may only be a degree or two off from where it should be for your conditions/fuel.

Ok... I just looked at the logs! You are worrying about nothing here. You might need to pull one degree of timing back... maybe two at the most in certain areas. When you used my corrected VE/MAF tables the reported air mass / cyl dropped (GM was over-reporting). This will automatically give you more timing. Just tweak the timing! Don't richen it up.

Also, never ever try to gauge the true AFR from the stock O2s. There isn't enough resolution that far away from 14.7 to determine what the AFR is... whether it read 920mV or 820mV. Temperature alone can move the #s.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim05GTO; 03-20-2006 at 06:54 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    just because 12.7 or 13.0 is his commanded doesnt mean its his actual...good luck.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    So that little bit of knock is ok? Will it get worse as the air temps go up?

Would COT have helped with the knock? Should I turn that back on for running around town.

Am I leaner because of the Spintech cat back vs your stock exhaust?

Thanks

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    just because 12.7 or 13.0 is his commanded doesnt mean its his actual...good luck.
    There is only one way to find out right? Even if it isn't dead on it will still be a hell of alot closer than what GM had given his car is essentially stock.

Purple, If you have a wideband then verify the AFRs and tweak the MAF table as needed. The timing is a piece of cake to fix... you just need to log some data and find out what areas need to be tweaked in the timing table. Your knock wasn't severe at all and from the looks of things you were only a degree or two high in certain places. If you had 4 or 5 degrees of knock I'd be concerned things were too lean or you were way overboard on timing but I don't believe that is the case at all.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim05GTO; 03-20-2006 at 10:56 AM.