Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4l60-E TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING CORRECTLY HELP!!!! Please Any Advise, Input, Ideas

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the kinds words. I too have spent money on a project just to find out it didn't work out as planned, that's a lessoned I learned when working on cars, especially with aftermarket parts. Sometimes you cant see all the variables. I do wish him the best and I really thought that we were getting somewhere but I guess all the hours I put in towards his project (even on Sundays) didn't mean anything.

If anyone else has any info that might pertain to his project, please post it here and I'll let him know to check this thread.

Thanks for all the help, very much appreciated!

Bill
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

Dump your stock tune back in, but try the following:

Since the vette tune has the ecm looking for the vss signal AFTER the final gear, you have to take the ring gear ratio and multiply it by the reluctor ring to get your vss pulse value. Worked on a 69 Camaro with a crate LS3 and 09 vette ECM, in that case he was using a Tremec Magnum T56 w/ 17 tooth reluctor and a 12 bolt w/ 3.90 gears. 3.90*17=66.3. Plugged 66 into the vss pulse value and was very close to what it needed to be. Had to fine tune it but got it where he wanted it.

So in your case it will be (YOUR GEAR RATIO) X 40 (4L60E reluctor tooth count)= VSS PULSE VALUE
    *Jeff*
    2002 4dr 2wd Blazer, 06 L33, LS6 cam, built trans, etc.. SOLD
    2008 Tahoe Hybrid 2wd, 6.0L LFA (stock dd)
    1964 Chevelle Malibu 4 door, 2003 LQ4, 06 GTO T56 swap -> https://www.chevelles.com/threads/19...-build.955866/

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you very much!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
    Dump your stock tune back in, but try the following:

Since the vette tune has the ecm looking for the vss signal AFTER the final gear, you have to take the ring gear ratio and multiply it by the reluctor ring to get your vss pulse value. Worked on a 69 Camaro with a crate LS3 and 09 vette ECM, in that case he was using a Tremec Magnum T56 w/ 17 tooth reluctor and a 12 bolt w/ 3.90 gears. 3.90*17=66.3. Plugged 66 into the vss pulse value and was very close to what it needed to be. Had to fine tune it but got it where he wanted it.

So in your case it will be (YOUR GEAR RATIO) X 40 (4L60E reluctor tooth count)= VSS PULSE VALUE

There's a lot missing in this thread that makes it a lost cause for those trying to help:
    1. No calibration is posted
    2. No tire size
    3. No gear ratio
    4. No given vss location (trans or axle)

Advanced Tuner
    Hook up the scanner and use the functions to command the gears manually. If you still can't get all the gears then unplug the main trans connector. You will have rev and third. That will let us know that 3rd gear works.

Advanced Tuner

Thumbs up

- The original tune file was a 2002 C5 A4 File
    - 275 40 17 Tire (24.91" ish)
    - 2.73 Gear Ratio
    - Transmission connected to engine like a truck/Fbody

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    There's a lot missing in this thread that makes it a lost cause for those trying to help:
    1. No calibration is posted
    2. No tire size
    3. No gear ratio
    4. No given vss location (trans or axle)

Also will try commanding gears when I get a chance.....

Thanks guys for the input!

Follow this chart when commanding the shifts in the scanner:
    *Jeff*
    2002 4dr 2wd Blazer, 06 L33, LS6 cam, built trans, etc.. SOLD
    2008 Tahoe Hybrid 2wd, 6.0L LFA (stock dd)
    1964 Chevelle Malibu 4 door, 2003 LQ4, 06 GTO T56 swap -> https://www.chevelles.com/threads/19...-build.955866/

Potential Tuner
    What's Up Fellas,

I guess I'm back from being so PISSED OFF at my car that i'm back in the game again! Any way, thank all of you who have been chiming in to help Bill and I figure this mess out.

Here is a short list of the cars info:

Year: 1985
    Model: Corvette
    Engine: 5.3L LM7 with 6.0 litre Camshaft
    Throttle body: 2002 corvette Drive by Wire
    TAC Module: 2002 Corvette
    Trans: 4L60E Automatic
    Gear ratio: 2.73
    Original tune file was a 2002 C5 A4 File
    Tire Size: 275/40/17 Tire about (24.91")
    VSS location: on Transmission tail shaft

411 PCM

Potential Tuner
    Here is a short list of the cars info:

Year: 1985
    Model: Corvette
    Engine: 5.3L LM7 with 6.0 litre Camshaft
    Throttle body: 2002 corvette Drive by Wire
    TAC Module: 2002 Corvette
    Trans: 4L60E Automatic
    Gear ratio: 2.73
    Original tune file was a 2002 C5 A4 File
    Tire Size: 275/40/17 Tire about (24.91")
    VSS location: on Transmission tail shaft

411 PCM

Advanced Tuner

Exclamation

*** Update ***

Hello guys....

Well both of us found the time to try again and made some progress but now have another issue.

The good news:

I adjusted the speedo settings and was able to get the MPH to match my GPS within 1 mph. The 1-2 shift is like a normal car, then once it shifts into 3rd, its like it just looses the gear, like we put it in neutral but then it kinda goes. Very similar problem that Barry was having before with it not shifting correctly. I have the scanner up and as we are going down the road, I select 3rd in the scanner and it does nothing. I select "on" for the TCC Solenoid and that doesn't make a difference either. So at this point, I'm thinking, ok, lets do a transmission segment swap of a 2002 LS1 F-body A4 file into his 2002 C5 A4 File.

When I tune older cars, I use version 2.24 of HP Tuners, for the segment swap, I used the latest beta (well about 2-3 months old).

So I did the segment swap using the beta software, did a full write and tried it again. Same problem, 3rd gear won't hold, etc just like before.

Now the bad.....

Shut the car off, checked a few things, went to go start the car, it ran for 4-5 seconds and then dies! Double checked VATS, its turned off. We tried to start it again and this time, nothing, Wouldn't start so I did a full write again, car started up just fine... Hmmmm.... So at this point we still have the 3rd gear problem so I figure I will just put the old file back in that Barry drove up on. I do a full write using the 2.24 version and car started fine. We call it a day and he drives home. I was going to pull the tranny electrical plug to see if we had 3rd and reverse as someone else suggested but we didn't have the ability at the time to get the car up and unplug it.

Barry gets home just fine runs "normal", parks his car and then an hour later, he goes to start it and the same damn thing, it wont start. I go over to his place later on to check it out. He goes to start it and it runs for 4-5 seconds and shuts off. Tried again and nothing, not even 4-5 seconds.

So I decide to do a cal write and nothing, car just cranks but wont start or run. I do a full write again using 2.24 version and it fires right up. So at that point I suggested he gets it in the garage till we figure it out. He pulls it in the garage, shuts it off then tries to start it again and the same damn thing, it wont start!

Why does it do that, is the PCM toast? Basically the car will only start and stay running after a full write but if you shut it off, your back to square one, have to do a full write to get it to run. ugh....

Any ideas?

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

I may have missed it, but did you mention where the harness was from? did it come with the 5.3? or was it bought off ebay? Or?
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Potential Tuner

Harness Info

I may have missed it, but did you mention where the harness was from? did it come with the 5.3? or was it bought off ebay? Or?
    Hi Ranger6202,

Barry here, the cars owner (or does it own me?)

The harness is a one of a kind custom built by Mike Noonan of EFIconnection.com. It is a full, complete harness from engine to tranny direct to the fuse box as if it were factory! There is a fraction, a minute chance that there may be a quirk in the wiring, but knowing Mike as well as I do, I'd almost bet my next years salary that there isn't!

I understand your feeling on the quality of the harness and the reputation of his establishment. However, you still have a problem, and if you're like me, you're probably lying awake at night staring at the ceiling going through a random list wondering what the hell is wrong. For peace of mind, I would go double check the pins @ the tran connector and the ECM pins. Since it's custom, i don't know if he kept the OEM colors, but that would be the easiest method to verify they're right......or it might just be a loose pin. I've watched our multi-million dollar facility at work lose thousands per hour due to a measly loose wire that was otherwise perfect for years. Best case is everything is right and in the end it'll be checked off the list.

One other thing i came across in my self-made trans reference book was the change in 4l60's over the years. I don't think i caught what year 4l60 you have. If it's a 97 and newer, the pin out and electrical hardware is the same up to about ~2006? If its a '95 and older, there were 2-3 years where they changed the TCC and 3-2 solenoid hardware and control method back and forth. With that info and that you are having problems with 3rd gear and TCC, i am curios to what year your trans is. Or if it was recently built, what year of hardware was used.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Potential Tuner
    I understand your feeling on the quality of the harness and the reputation of his establishment. However, you still have a problem, and if you're like me, you're probably lying awake at night staring at the ceiling going through a random list wondering what the hell is wrong. For peace of mind, I would go double check the pins @ the tran connector and the ECM pins. Since it's custom, i don't know if he kept the OEM colors, but that would be the easiest method to verify they're right......or it might just be a loose pin. I've watched our multi-million dollar facility at work lose thousands per hour due to a measly loose wire that was otherwise perfect for years. Best case is everything is right and in the end it'll be checked off the list.

One other thing i came across in my self-made trans reference book was the change in 4l60's over the years. I don't think i caught what year 4l60 you have. If it's a 97 and newer, the pin out and electrical hardware is the same up to about ~2006? If its a '95 and older, there were 2-3 years where they changed the TCC and 3-2 solenoid hardware and control method back and forth. With that info and that you are having problems with 3rd gear and TCC, i am curios to what year your trans is. Or if it was recently built, what year of hardware was used.

The 4l60E transmission came out of a 1998 2wd G Van. It was completely rebuilt like a s--- Brick house by our resident expert here at the Chevy dealership that I work at. The parts used to rebuild it are the EXACT factory parts! I'm sure of it, because I'm the parts guy that ordered them!

As far as the wiring harness, Mike ordered the 1985 vette Shop Manual and had it side by side with the 2002 vette manual. Every wire is color coded to the "t". This Guy is as Anal as anal can get and sharp as a tack. It was designed as if it were from the factory! But you are correct, It very well could be a loose wire or something! Nobody is Flawless!
    Last edited by iamc4crazy; 08-25-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    ********** Just an update on this project... ************

We got it working!!!

Barry pulled the tranny and had a guy go through it again and found things that were toast or not right (I'm not a tranny guy). Got it rebuilt and now it shifts like it should with the modified speedo values, just like a normal car. The speedo is within 1/2 - 1 MPH of my GPS.

Thanks to all that added your input on this matter, Barry is a happy camper now!

That's great to hear! Seems like a week or 2 ago this issue came across my mind, and i was curious to whether you guys fixed it or not. It was still haunting me that the math was not working after we knew for sure what everything was. Now i can sleep at night :-)........ Good deal!!!
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx