Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4l60-E TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING CORRECTLY HELP!!!! Please Any Advise, Input, Ideas

Potential Tuner

4l60-E TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING CORRECTLY HELP!!!! Please Any Advise, Input, Ideas

Hello, My name is Barry Knight and I am Brand New to tuning and to the Forum. I would be extremely grateful for anyone who can assist or help me in this matter. Please bear with me!

1985 CORVETTE
    LS6 ENGINE \ 4L60E TRANSMISSION Swap
    GM 411 PCM 2002 Corvette Platform

HELP!!!! Please Any Advise, Input, Ideas????

SYMTOMS:

The car starts off in 1ST gear, then swiftly shifts into second gear but If you floor the gas it will stay in second and will not switch to 3rd or overdrive. Sometimes it just slips from one gear to another as you are driving. At high speeds the torque converter just spins and sometimes at low speeds, it jerks in different gears.

I'm baffled? The TPS sensor was checked, not the problem. Changed all 4 switches in the tranny for safe measure, not the problem, check for codes, NO CODES

Keep in mind, this transmission is as good as new. It was totally rebuilt by our resident expert with all new parts at the chevy dealership that I work at.

We looked at a few stock automatic (and manual) tunes and noticed “PN Only” is never used. Seems that the single wire P/N signal, like the F-Body console switch, would have this as an option.

The F-Body has “None” selected for an LS1 with automatic transmission.

Using the “None” option should produce the desired result?

The car is wired to use the same type of gear select switch as the LS1 Camaro/Firebird.

I took the car ta a local tuner who is using hp tuners and we tried just about everything, Changing shift tables, we tried to used the f-body platform, and the corvette platform, the gear ratio and tire height is correct. We tried switching to the truck platform and at least the speedo read properly.

When your going 20mph for instance the laptop says your doing 90mph as an example!

There is a box in HP Tuners for the tranny trans-axle\ rear wheel drive which should be set on "NO" rather than yes but it keeps switching back to YES.

Bottom line is: The car will not shift into 3rd and 4th gear at and stays in 2nd

My Friend Bill Wright, who lives here in Erie, Pa. is an extremely Knowledgeable (HP Tuner) and he also cannot figure this out!! Is there anybody here who is a Master Tuner who this file can be sent to and looked at or tweeked?

I'm trying to get the car in drivable condition to take it over to Hutter Performance in Chardon OH. to have it dyno tuned by Trevor Hutter So it will be show ready in a couple of weeks.

Regards

Barry G. Knight
    Erie, Pa
    Last edited by iamc4crazy; 05-08-2015 at 02:42 PM.

post a tune and maybe a scan if possible.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Is it DBC or DBW?

Yes and logs and tune would help...but it sounds like you have had some great minds trying to figure it out,,,,

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 05-08-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    It's drive by wire

Potential Tuner
    I've have a couple others also look at this situation. Mike Noonan of EFIconnection.com, who by chance lives here in erie and who actually custom built the harness (Complete) Engine to fuse box has also had a hand in this as well.

Potential Tuner
    Bill wright of http://www.customls1tuning.com/ , also from erie, Pa has the latest screen shots and files! I'm waiting for him to chime in here and maybe slam the info up for me!

Advanced Tuner

Exclamation

Hi guys, Bill Wright here trying to help Barry out.

I have a theory of what's going on but not sure, here is what I found out so far.

Barry has a 1985 C4 that has a new 5.3L long block with a 4l60E, drive by wire. The OS he is using is from a 2002 C5 A4. Nothing special with the tune, just set up for the MAF, injectors, rear gear and tire, fans, and misc. emission codes deleted. When driving down the road, the scan shows the MPH to be WAY off. When my GPS shows 10 mph, the scanner shows 40-50 MPH, when your doing 60 mph, the scanner shows 150-160 mph. Since a C5 platform has the tranny in the rear, and his is like a Fbody/truck, I started thinking that he has the wrong OS.

I loaded a stock 2002 Fbody A4 OS in the PCM and made a few tweaks to make it work (delete VATS, MAF Curve, rear gear, etc). The car started up and had a high idle (1,500 rpms) for about 5 seconds then settled down. We pulled out of my driveway and to get the car to move, the throttle was almost to the floor. The scanner showed no TPS %, it stayed at 0% all the time like I thought it would but as we went down the road, the MPH in the scanner matched my GPS perfectly.

With that being said, I think Barry needs a truck OS that has drive by wire to make his combo work. I've tuned dozens of LS1 swaps for guys over the years but they all had cable throttle bodies. Since I don't have the unlimited truck licenses, we will have to buy one to try this. Before we buy the credits to try, has anyone ever come across this before?

Thanks,

Bill
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

Advanced Tuner
    The C5 completely relies on speed info for shifting.
    The speed sensor is on the ring gear in the diff.
    You guys are using the reluctor in the trans. So it's going 3.73, or whatever your rear end ratio is, faster than it would be in a C5.
    Try telling it you have a rear end ratio of 1:1 and see what happens.
    Or tell it you have a really huge rear tire.
    I think if you can get the speedo readings in HPT correct, per your GPS, it will start shifting correctly.

Isn't there a compatibility requirement for different DBW/TAC module combinations and the OS's used with them?
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Quote Originally Posted by RonSSnova View Post
    The C5 completely relies on speed info for shifting.
    The speed sensor is on the ring gear in the diff.
    You guys are using the reluctor in the trans. So it's going 3.73, or whatever your rear end ratio is, faster than it would be in a C5.
    Try telling it you have a rear end ratio of 1:1 and see what happens.
    Or tell it you have a really huge rear tire.
    I think if you can get the speedo readings in HPT correct, per your GPS, it will start shifting correctly.
    Right, The VSS has 40 teeth so somehow you need to translate the reluctor rate and modify the 40 in the vette file. Should be a percentage I would think derived from the actual speedo and GPS...could it be that simple????

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Billiumss View Post
    the MPH in the scanner matched my GPS perfectly.
    Why change the speedo pulses then?
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    Why change the speedo pulses then?
    Sorry, missed that.....my bad

Ed M

Advanced Tuner
    Modifying the reluctor teeth numbers doesn't work. It seems like a variable. It lets you change it. But has no effect on the speedo sadly.

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but wouldn't a segment swap fix this?
    My idea... Use the original C5 Corvette OS as a base and the 2002 F-Body transmission and transmission diagnostics segments for shifting.

In my warped mind this gives you the drive by wire control you need to operate the engine AND the transmission scale you need for the speed to read properly in the PCM. Since everything is based on speed you will be able to enter the proper axle information for your transmission shift points.

Advanced Tuner

Exclamation

Tried doing a segment swap, no luck... Trying either a 2001 or 2002 Tahoe file, but need to find out if those files are drive by wire or cable throttle bodies. Very interesting combo, just want to get this up and running for him.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-Wire-or-Cable

Quote Originally Posted by iamc4crazy View Post
    Hello, My name is Barry Knight and I am Brand New to tuning and to the Forum. I would be extremely grateful for anyone who can assist or help me in this matter. Please bear with me!

1985 CORVETTE
    LS6 ENGINE \ 4L60E TRANSMISSION Swap
    GM 411 PCM 2002 Corvette Platform

HELP!!!! Please Any Advise, Input, Ideas????

SYMTOMS:

The car starts off in 1ST gear, then swiftly shifts into second gear but If you floor the gas it will stay in second and will not switch to 3rd or overdrive. Sometimes it just slips from one gear to another as you are driving. At high speeds the torque converter just spins and sometimes at low speeds, it jerks in different gears.

I'm baffled? The TPS sensor was checked, not the problem. Changed all 4 switches in the tranny for safe measure, not the problem, check for codes, NO CODES

Keep in mind, this transmission is as good as new. It was totally rebuilt by our resident expert with all new parts at the chevy dealership that I work at.

We looked at a few stock automatic (and manual) tunes and noticed ?PN Only? is never used. Seems that the single wire P/N signal, like the F-Body console switch, would have this as an option.

The F-Body has ?None? selected for an LS1 with automatic transmission.

Using the ?None? option should produce the desired result?

The car is wired to use the same type of gear select switch as the LS1 Camaro/Firebird.

I took the car ta a local tuner who is using hp tuners and we tried just about everything, Changing shift tables, we tried to used the f-body platform, and the corvette platform, the gear ratio and tire height is correct. We tried switching to the truck platform and at least the speedo read properly.

When your going 20mph for instance the laptop says your doing 90mph as an example!

There is a box in HP Tuners for the tranny trans-axle\ rear wheel drive which should be set on "NO" rather than yes but it keeps switching back to YES.

Bottom line is: The car will not shift into 3rd and 4th gear at and stays in 2nd

My Friend Bill Wright, who lives here in Erie, Pa. is an extremely Knowledgeable (HP Tuner) and he also cannot figure this out!! Is there anybody here who is a Master Tuner who this file can be sent to and looked at or tweeked?

I'm trying to get the car in drivable condition to take it over to Hutter Performance in Chardon OH. to have it dyno tuned by Trevor Hutter So it will be show ready in a couple of weeks.

Regards

Barry G. Knight
    Erie, Pa

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

Advanced Tuner

Exclamation

If you check out the post above yours, I put a link in there asking about how to tell DBW vs cable. I posted 2 files to look at.

I took my bench harness and laptop to the dealership and they loaded a 2001 Tahoe file into a PCM I had, but when I went to license the file with HP Tuners, it wouldn't let me for some reason. So.... I got on HP Tuner site and found a 2002 Tahoe file. At the time, I figured if a 2001 Tahoe had DBW then a 2002 should as well. I licensed that file, tried it, and it didn't work.

So I did a post yesterday asking how you can tell if the OS has DBW and 2xLS1 was kind enough to show me where to look. The 2002 Tahoe file doesn't have DBW and now we are out $100.00!

Would it be possible to just turn on the DBW under the system options tab and just put a 1 under the ETC for GMT800?

As far as I know, the car has truck DBW TB and corvette pedals. I was looking at Mike Noonans book and on page 17,18 and 77 it says you must use a truck TAC with a truck TB. I do not know what TAC Barry has.

I've tuned a few hundred LS cars over the years and helped a lot of guys do LS swaps into older cars and trucks, but never came a across something so different and unique as this. As I told Barry from day 1, I wasn't sure how to proceed since I've never done a combo like his before.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    I'd like to help, but would like to see your calibration and possibly a scan of what you're seeing. Also would like to know what tire size and gear ratio you're running. With the custom harness, is the the the vss looking at the trans output shaft reluctor? If so you should be able to use either OS.
    I can help find a DBW os if you can tell me which ecm he has.

Yeah you're right about matching the TAC with throttle body. That's why I
    asked earlier about that. As for turning that option on.... Not
    necessarily, I have a list of ecms that tells me which ones you can toggle
    on and off. You need to send me the ecm gm
    part number and l can tell you if it's a dual capable one.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Tuner
    id say it could be the speed sensor but that wouldn't make sense its telling the scanner the correct mph. 3-4shift solenoid is worth checking out unless you believe its all tuning/swap issues. Id try and drive it manumatic see if everything shifts ok and make a log that way you shouldn't be hurting anything see if maybe speed will match up? worth a try

Advanced Tuner
    I know the PCM is a 411, I saw the sticker on it. When he came to me, it had a 2002 C5 A4 OS loaded onto it.

As for getting more info, that might be a challenge, he knew going in I wasn't sure if this was going to work or not since I've never done anything like this. He was ok trying and spending the $100.00 but once I licensed the file I downloaded from the HP Tuner site and it didn't work, he got EXTREMLY upset with me and blamed me for wasting his $100.00 for the credits. So...... we are not talking at this point. As everyone knows that works on cars, not everything goes 100% and with a combo like his that doesn't exist as OEM, its a HUGE learning curve.

With that said..... Any other info I can get, I'll pass onto him and he can go from there.

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry to hear about the falling out, that definitely sucks. That is pretty generous of you to continue forwarding the info. There's nothing more frustrating than someone not letting you finish what you started. Hope he gets it figured out. With a project like that, you've got to be prepared to pay some "tuition" and be patient through the whole process. Can't tell you how many things i've spent money on auto related that had resulted in no return on the build, but paid off tremendously later on with what i learned.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx