Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricked PCMs......what to do

Advanced Tuner

Bricked PCMs......what to do

I am probably not the only one who has messed a tune up, flash it on a car and caused a condition where HP Tuners had issues talking with the PCM. This past weekend I was working on a Roush M6 car, messed up some tables in the tune, flashed it on the car and upon write complete, all the lights in the cluster came on, PATS light was flashing, and there was a constant ticking noise. I tried to flash a known good file back on the car and received the attached error:

PCM locked.JPG

I then connected different hardware to the car and got:

IMG_20150501_235122.jpg

So what do you do when you get yourself in this situation? I got out of it by selecting a known good file to flash onto the car. You receive a write error and the dash will go dark. Allow a few seconds to pass and re-try the write, before the cluster lights back up and starts the clicking noise. Once I got a known good tune back onto the car I could write another file as one normally would.

Hope this helps if you find yourself in this situation.

Until that last paragraph, I was really bummed for you... Nice work getting it fixed! I wonder if there is a built in recovery mode you found.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by David Borden View Post
    Until that last paragraph, I was really bummed for you... Nice work getting it fixed! I wonder if there is a built in recovery mode you found.
    Thanks and I am not sure. I did a lot of searching after I got myself into this predicament to no avail. There is literally no information available on the mentioned errors.

Senior Tuner
    I've had one fail a couple times like that, but I usually just hit Write again without cycling the key first. I think it is difficult to permanently kill most of the Ford ECU's.
    Most people panic when it fails and start cycling ignitions and things and I think that causes more issues than just selecting "Write" again.
    Jaime

It's really hard to kill a Ford PCM. Not saying it isn't possible, but personally I do not know of one that has happened since I have been here.

Sometimes when the PCM seems dead, disconnect the battery, let it sit a few minutes, connect it back, and try again.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Senior Tuner
    And to clarify, mine were on a Green Oak ECU, not on a Copperhead.
    Jaime

Potential Tuner
    Had this happen when I flashed my first PCM using 2.25 on a Copperhead. I read the stock file saved it, made my changes saved as and when I wrote it I got the same error as the OP. I just about had a heart attack. I did the same method but I had to shut the ignition off and open the door and when I tried it again it allowed me to write back to stock. After that I wrote the modified tune and it took it.

When I tried to reconnect after the failed write I could not get it to work at all until I shut off the ignition and tried again.

Any ETA on when support for these PCMs will be out of Beta?

Senior Tuner
    I've got a 2011 Coyote I'm plugged into right now, flashes to 75% then skips to 100%, says complete, won't start.

I tried rewriting the file and it did the same thing. With the stock file as well.

Anybody have any ideas to help?
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    I hit write again then hit abort when it started. Waited for the dash to reset where the gauges bounce, hit write again and it seems OK.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Yup that fixed it. Not sure what went wrong. I tried to get an info log but all it said (below the normal info about my computer and licenses) was that it couldn't connect to the car...so I don't understand how it was able to write abort and write again... But it worked and didn't brick it.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 05-09-2015 at 05:07 PM.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Thats the random write failure that happens... sometimes you have to just wait 20 mins or so and try again to solve it.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    I am positive I was the cause of my issue. I haven't troubleshot it down to the exact table but I am sure I messed up some inverse TQ table.

Senior Tuner
    Does the random write failure happen with just the copperhead? With other software too?
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Does the random write failure happen with just the copperhead? With other software too?
    Yes
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Senior Tuner
    Long as it's not making me paperweights I don't mind lol...kinda sucks when the owner of the car is sitting there, and freaking out at you about how you just broke their cars computer...oh well. I looked like a hero when it took a complete flash and fired right back up again.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Potential Tuner
    This happened quite a few times on a 2012 Mustang i was working on. Glad to hear i'm not the only one who experienced this. Sometimes had to re-flash 4 times before it would take it.
    67 Ford Mustang coupe: process of being restored/restomodded
    05 F-150 xlt: custom exhaust, k&n, Tuned by Fling.
    09 G8 GT: pace setter longtubes, magnaflow mufflers, 230/240 591/608 LSA 114 cam, k/n intake, 3400 circle D stall, Home-built 6l80e, Tuned by Fling
    97 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS: Beater car/Houston road warrior

Tuner in Training
    This is a constant ongoing issue on my 2014 GT. Will fail over and over and over. Every time it happens I lose all motivation to do anything with the car... or it's time for a real ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    This is a constant ongoing issue on my 2014 GT. Will fail over and over and over. Every time it happens I lose all motivation to do anything with the car... or it's time for a real ECU.
    How is it failing? Are you confident in the state of your battery?
    There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroAviation View Post
    How is it failing? Are you confident in the state of your battery?
    Obviously the write fails.. 74.2%, stuck and immediately to 100%. Car won't start and dash is a Christmas tree.

There's nothing wrong with the battery. It's a 14 purchased brand new in 14 and this has been an ongoing problem. Putting a charger on the battery changes nothing, anyone who said it did just happens to be a coincidence as the ecu eventually takes the flash after a while of frustration and wasted time.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    Obviously the write fails.. 74.2%, stuck and immediately to 100%. Car won't start and dash is a Christmas tree.

There's nothing wrong with the battery. It's a 14 purchased brand new in 14 and this has been an ongoing problem. Putting a charger on the battery changes nothing, anyone who said it did just happens to be a coincidence as the ecu eventually takes the flash after a while of frustration and wasted time.
    Does this happen when loading the stock tune?