Thread: VATS still on?

Potential Tuner

VATS still on?

I pulled my son's 6.0 out of his Chevelle to install a lumpy cam. After the cam installation we ran it on the dyno and dialed in the wot afr. The motor ran really well and made good power. It had some idle surge but because of time limits we put it in the car and while trying ot get rid of the surge, the motor began to start and die. I could not keep it running. Last summer, it did this every time the PCM was flashed. But after several tries it would start.
    So, when it wouldn't start this time, I decided the box had finally given up. Licensed another 411 box today and moved all the data. Same deal. It will start and die. I do not have a scan saved. But no DTC's in the short time I scanned. I flashed several very different tunes to it today and they all act the same.
    Could I have the tune so far off it won't run? VATS is not really turned off? This old rookie needs help! I have not used this forum before, but I think I have the tune attached. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You might also post a log file of it running and dying. That would help shed some light on why its dying. (.hpl file)
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...

Potential Tuner

VATS Still on?

Here's a scan. Had to give it a bit of throttle to keep it running long enough to get any data.

Looks like your Maf is unplugged or removed. And since your Maf codes are set to no error reported, the pcm won't default to SD mode. Set the Maf codes to no mil light. There has to be a Maf code in order to be in SD mode.

Russ Kemp

Your VE table and spark tables needs some work.

Looks like you need to do some more idle and part throttle tuning refinement. I would suggest you follow the advice of Russ K.

2 PCMs and the same problem, It may not be VATS.
    POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    I spotted the "No Error Reported" screw up last night and corrected it. Now I'm back to the original problem that I had before I pulled that stunt. It won't idle. Anything below 1100 it will surge and stall. Even @ 1100, if I put it in gear it stalls. If the fans start it stalls. It is not driveable the way it is so more tuning at part throttle is not possible.
    I have got to be a country mile off with some part of the tune. I have a 65 Chevelle with the same motor and even more cam and it works flawless (by my standards). I have done a file compare between the two and copied the tables and other settings to a new file and the behavior is the same.
    Another issue that is wigging me out: A couple years ago I sold a 408 but still have the box. I connected that box and it idles fine, in gear, fans on, it doesnt care. It still has LS3 injector data in it???? (I'm using LS2 injectors). Can't use it because it's for a 4L80E...and I don't want to give it up anyway.
    These are all truck boxes. The 69 ran all last summer with a 5.3 box. I've always assumed that I can just change the data and use any early box. I've used both 896's and 411's. I've had very good success with trans, VE and spark tuning and then I'm done, haven't got a clue. This one is kicking my butt. My son want's his car and I want my life back. I would pay a tuner to fix it but can't find anyone nearby who has time. If someone can help me make this damn thing run.....I have a paypal account.
    Don't give up on me ................. I love you guys!

Advanced Tuner
    Can you post the .hpt file for the PCM that idles well? That might help us help you.

Jason
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...

Potential Tuner
    Sure. The motor is nearly identical to the problem motor except it has more cam and a higher dollar bottom end. It sat in a storage bag since last November and started and idled fine when I got it out on Monday. I'm sure there lots of issues with this tune too. But it does everything right and goes like hell!

Advanced Tuner
    Those two tunes are drastically different. Compare the two and you'll see what I mean. If its the idle that concerns you, copy the Red one to the blue one. But it looks to me like most everything in that tune needs work. Look at the sticky at the top of this forum.

HTH,
    Jason