Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Anyone care to look over my current tune?

Quote Originally Posted by jpb1972 View Post
    Should my STFT be disabled as well? Should I tune the VE by the lambda error or the trims? Here my error is 1 and 2, yet STFT's are -16 and -18. Maybe i'm looking at this all wrong.

Edit: STFT's are decent at idle now. Smoothed out the VE a bit. Haven't driven it yet. Still want to confirm a few things with making adjustments. Screen shot attached.
    You need to disable the MAF totally first in order to tune the VE table only, if you haven't already.. Engine Diag-->airflow-->maf freq fail high--> set it to something really low like 2 hz

You can make adjustments using either fuel trims or wideband. If using the wideband you need to disable fuel trims completely, short and long.

If using fuel trims to do the adjustments there are differing opinions. I use long + short combined and leave them both on. Some people just use long, some people just use short with long disabled.. either way should get you close IMO.

If using fuel trims you especially need to get a good drive in before really using any of the data you get. Some of the calculated values like intake valve temp basically reset back to engine coolant temp every time you flash the computer, so you have to drive long enough for that to get back up to where it will normally be. I've also noticed that fuel trims on mine start out on the high/rich side then work their way down

After you get a good chunk of data you'll want to add / subtract your % values from the VE table. If you get +5% trims or error in a particular cell, multiply that cell in the VE table by 1.05. There's a built in paste special / multiply by % function built in that you can use. I did a quick thing in excel where I put the original VE, the correction data and it outputs a new VE table. That way I can change the corrections easily.. you'll never get to all of the cells in the VE table so you will just have to assume trends hold true for places you can't get to. I've found it easier to do outside of HP Tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    You need to disable the MAF totally first in order to tune the VE table only, if you haven't already.. Engine Diag-->airflow-->maf freq fail high--> set it to something really low like 2 hz

You can make adjustments using either fuel trims or wideband. If using the wideband you need to disable fuel trims completely, short and long.

If using fuel trims to do the adjustments there are differing opinions. I use long + short combined and leave them both on. Some people just use long, some people just use short with long disabled.. either way should get you close IMO.

If using fuel trims you especially need to get a good drive in before really using any of the data you get. Some of the calculated values like intake valve temp basically reset back to engine coolant temp every time you flash the computer, so you have to drive long enough for that to get back up to where it will normally be. I've also noticed that fuel trims on mine start out on the high/rich side then work their way down

After you get a good chunk of data you'll want to add / subtract your % values from the VE table. If you get +5% trims or error in a particular cell, multiply that cell in the VE table by 1.05. There's a built in paste special / multiply by % function built in that you can use. I did a quick thing in excel where I put the original VE, the correction data and it outputs a new VE table. That way I can change the corrections easily.. you'll never get to all of the cells in the VE table so you will just have to assume trends hold true for places you can't get to. I've found it easier to do outside of HP Tuners.
    Yes, MAF is disabled, forced open loop, DFCO disabled, LTFT disabled. Was going to use STFT to tune. Or maybe the lambda error. How do I disable STFT's if I decide to do that?

Guesing I will be using the interpolate function often? Either that or smooth. The spreadsheet sounds like a good idea. I'm not that versed in Excel Lol.
    Last edited by jpb1972; 05-08-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Yes, MAF is disabled, forced open loop, DFCO disabled, LTFT disabled. Was going to use STFT to tune. Or maybe the lambda error. How do I disable STFT's if I decide to do that?

Guesing I will be using the interpolate function often? Either that or smooth. The spreadsheet sounds like a good idea. I'm not that versed in Excel Lol.
    Engine-->fuel-->open/closed loop-->ECT vs. startup ET, max those out. Same for O2 readiness ECT. Then it sounds like you've already maxed out the LTFT enable temp ones. You can also force it into open loop in scanner, BUT you need to disable and reset fuel trims after you do that so it won't use whatever it's learned. I always log fuel trims anyways just to make sure they are zero while in open loop.

Attached is a quick sheet I made. I'm not even sure what VE data is in there now so don't use it or anything.. cells that are white are ones you need to fill in or change or whatever

Ones in grey are either formulas or axis labels, etc., so you shouldn't need to mess with those

I'm assuming the the x/y break points are the same for yours as they are for mine. If not, you can change the RPM/MAP #'s at the top (starting point VE table) and it will change the next two tables for you

VE Calculator.xlsx
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Engine-->fuel-->open/closed loop-->ECT vs. startup ET, max those out. Same for O2 readiness ECT. Then it sounds like you've already maxed out the LTFT enable temp ones. You can also force it into open loop in scanner, BUT you need to disable and reset fuel trims after you do that so it won't use whatever it's learned. I always log fuel trims anyways just to make sure they are zero while in open loop.

Attached is a quick sheet I made. I'm not even sure what VE data is in there now so don't use it or anything.. cells that are white are ones you need to fill in or change or whatever

Ones in grey are either formulas or axis labels, etc., so you shouldn't need to mess with those

I'm assuming the the x/y break points are the same for yours as they are for mine. If not, you can change the RPM/MAP #'s at the top (starting point VE table) and it will change the next two tables for you

VE Calculator.xlsx
    Cool! I will check that out. Thanks

Is that half a table you are using? Even though I did chage my table to go to 7200, there are a lot more breaks than whats in your table on the form.
    Last edited by jpb1972; 05-09-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Why, according to my logs and histograms, are my STFT's and lambda error not consistent with one another? In tuning the VE table (non wot), with STFT's on, what should I rely on? Trims can show under 5% while Lam Error could show as much as 15%.

Why, according to my logs and histograms, are my STFT's and lambda error not consistent with one another? In tuning the VE table (non wot), with STFT's on, what should I rely on? Trims can show under 5% while Lam Error could show as much as 15%.
    Got a log you can show me? Sorry, haven't been on the forum in a few days. I would have to see it to be able to help

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Got a log you can show me? Sorry, haven't been on the forum in a few days. I would have to see it to be able to help
    No big deal. I can probably get you one later. I think it's boiling down to the difference between averages and also spikes due to transient fueling on decel. Im going to continue to tune it with all trims off and then go back and check things. (Once I'm finally done, whenever that will be)

No big deal. I can probably get you one later. I think it's boiling down to the difference between averages and also spikes due to transient fueling on decel. Im going to continue to tune it with all trims off and then go back and check things. (Once I'm finally done, whenever that will be)
    Keep in mind also that fuel trims will pretty much go nuts when you first re-enable them.

I was so mad the other day.. I had the VE table on mine within 2-3% according to the wideband, re-enabled fuel trims and they went to like 15-20%.. after driving 20-30 minutes they settled back down to around zero though, so sometimes it's best to give them a little learning time.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Keep in mind also that fuel trims will pretty much go nuts when you first re-enable them.

I was so mad the other day.. I had the VE table on mine within 2-3% according to the wideband, re-enabled fuel trims and they went to like 15-20%.. after driving 20-30 minutes they settled back down to around zero though, so sometimes it's best to give them a little learning time.
    Thanks for the heads up. I would be pissed! Haha

Anyone have an idea what would cause my fuel to go lean when temps approach 185 or so? At normal operating temps (around 175) the fuel is consistent. Sitting at idle as temps increase, my fuel starts to lean out. Tuning VE, trims are off, maf failed, OL Eq's at 1.0. Something is pulling fuel as either ECT temps or IAT temps increase.
    Saw this question, guess it got deleted?

Yeah..that's what sucks about SD. Mine does the same thing. I believe it's something with the temp bias table not being quite right but I don't know a way to adjust it. If I get any better results messing around with it I'll try to post some info on it.

This is one advantage of using the MAF instead of going SD... it does that much much less for whatever reason (if at all)

It thinks less air is going in as temps increase (air density goes down at higher temps), so it's injecting less fuel. Unfortunately, though, it's not quite right.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Saw this question, guess it got deleted?

Yeah..that's what sucks about SD. Mine does the same thing. I believe it's something with the temp bias table not being quite right but I don't know a way to adjust it. If I get any better results messing around with it I'll try to post some info on it.

This is one advantage of using the MAF instead of going SD... it does that much much less for whatever reason (if at all)

It thinks less air is going in as temps increase (air density goes down at higher temps), so it's injecting less fuel. Unfortunately, though, it's not quite right.
    Sorry about that. Deleted it and started a new thread. Guess you caught it first.
    I understand what your saying, just don't like it.
    Thanks again.