Thread: Knock and Timing

Knock and Timing

Still been working at the tune for a while and as the scanner shows knock i pull timing in the affected areas, usually a couple of degrees extra just to make sure but the knock is still there and it sounds horrible coming through the exhaust. Im not sure if im missing anything or what else it could be. I edited the HO tables and copy them to the LO tables too so its not referencing low octane timing. Any help? It also shows KR reving it to 1500 rpm in park. Maybe i need to desensitize the knock sensors? Car is pretty loud (Heard that the sensors may pick up on it) X pipe through to glasspacks, no resonators or cats.
    2010 Camaro SS A6 Cam .278/.297 .625/.625 113LSA, Long tubes w/o Cats, UD Pulley, Tb spacer, CAI
    I'll attach a quick log i took where you can see some of the knock
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just looked at some of your other posts. It seems you have been chasing this problem for a while. Just to get on the same page a spark knock won't create a backfire. A backfire can and probably will create a knock retard event. If your car is backfiring you may have a problem non-related to spark advance. I recommend checking your valve adjustment, cam timing, maybe a leaking injector.

Yes, a loud exhaust, loose parts, noisy valve train or anything bumping around can cause a spark knock event.

When you figure it out let us know what it was.

Good luck!
    2006 LS2 Corvette
    Automatic
    2.56 gear
    600 HP Edelbrock E Force Kit
    No other mods

Quote Originally Posted by calvinespree View Post
    Still been working at the tune for a while and as the scanner shows knock i pull timing in the affected areas, usually a couple of degrees extra just to make sure but the knock is still there and it sounds horrible coming through the exhaust. Im not sure if im missing anything or what else it could be. I edited the HO tables and copy them to the LO tables too so its not referencing low octane timing. Any help? It also shows KR reving it to 1500 rpm in park. Maybe i need to desensitize the knock sensors? Car is pretty loud (Heard that the sensors may pick up on it) X pipe through to glasspacks, no resonators or cats.
    2010 Camaro SS A6 Cam .278/.297 .625/.625 113LSA, Long tubes w/o Cats, UD Pulley, Tb spacer, CAI
    I'll attach a quick log i took where you can see some of the knock
    Oh I meant to ask you to post your config file too. That makes it easier to see what you see on your scan.
    2006 LS2 Corvette
    Automatic
    2.56 gear
    600 HP Edelbrock E Force Kit
    No other mods

I seen it using the default config actually. I ran some octane booster and it took away a lot of the lower rpm kr and lowered others. As the kr hits it sounds like a gun shot going through the exhaust

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    ^I personally dont like aftermarket pully's as its always causing issue with the electrical system and i have seen belts slip and even jump out of it.

after reviewing your file here are some notes:

your timing table is strange to say the least. why you only have 11/12 degrees at peak .68 airmass (return to stock and rework it)
    your knock sensitivity needs to be adjusted as the DOD delete and cam package is creating a lot more valve train noise
    if you look closely at your bank2 Mv there seems to be a misfire seems like your targeting low 12's on your wideband which is fine.
    if your have colder plugs you need to run a couple more degrees advance then with your stock plugs
    also try to get your fuel trims in line as it seems to be running a tad rich
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Anybody have any other things I can check as a cause for backfire? I'll check the intake gasket in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    ^I personally dont like aftermarket pully's as its always causing issue with the electrical system and i have seen belts slip and even jump out of it.

after reviewing your file here are some notes:

your timing table is strange to say the least. why you only have 11/12 degrees at peak .68 airmass (return to stock and rework it)
    your knock sensitivity needs to be adjusted as the DOD delete and cam package is creating a lot more valve train noise
    if you look closely at your bank2 Mv there seems to be a misfire seems like your targeting low 12's on your wideband which is fine.
    if your have colder plugs you need to run a couple more degrees advance then with your stock plugs
    also try to get your fuel trims in line as it seems to be running a tad rich
    Thanks a lot, I'll try this in the morning and get everything double checked before I pull the heads and inspect all the mechanical aspects.
    The timing is so low due to the fact I kept pulling for kr after every log

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    ^adjust the knock sensitivity.

can you actual hear the car ping @12 degrees, if so you got some issues.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    ^adjust the knock sensitivity.

can you actual hear the car ping @12 degrees, if so you got some issues.
    No I don't hear it pinging it just shows up in the log. Maybe because the exhaust is too loud. It did ping once before so I'm familiar with the sound

Scanner for misfires this morning and there's miss fires all over the place not sure if it's the cam making fake misses or if it's legit

Also sprayed carb cleaner around the intake runners and throttle body, doesn't seem to be any leaks

Plan is to double check gap in the morning and possible run a colder plug.

And colder plugs are in, made a huge difference in popping. When slowing down not coming to a complete stop and then gunning the throttle I did have some hesitation and popping. Hopefully get it tuned out tomorrow though