Thread: Should I expect to reach higher maf hz?

Advanced Tuner

Should I expect to reach higher maf hz?

Hello all, very new to tuning so I don't know what to expect out of everything. I'm using lambda error to dial in my maf (much like the banish dvd method) and I've taken my third drive in attempt to get it dialed in, with tonight being the first time I decided to do a quick 2nd gear WOT run and the highest I could get the maf Hz was 8700..just trying to see if I should expect it to go much higher into the 15k allotted.

My car is a 2012 base c6 with manual trans, airaid intake, ported tb, ported stock intake manifold, 1-7/8headers to stock z06 exhaust. I also just learned about the rich after flashing issue due to the evap test and I was wondering why my lower maf readings were never dialed in but now I understand that I need to drive a bit before starting my scans.

I've attached the scan from the drive including the wot run, my config, and my current tune (currently setup for e10..ish to tune the maf, and I use VCM controls to disable closed loop in the car..the naming helps to keep things straight sorry) which has already been adjusted based on the results of the scan. My MAF curve is starting to get a little wonky so I need to look into how to smooth it a bit I assume.

Basically my concern is that I want to tune WOT, but can't really do so in higher gears because of the obvious speed issue...is 2nd gear good enough? What should I do with the cells that are above what I'm currently hitting; I'm thinking that I should multiply those cells to make them more rich just to be safe.

I'm still very new to the tuning process so I haven't changed much yet .
    Thanks for your time!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    8500 is about right. I have a 2010 Camaro with a vortech supercharger and im just hitting the 9k range. I scaled mine to be a bit richer above what I am running

Senior Tuner
    I don't think mine gets much higher than 8700-8800 with my heads/cam LS3...a big part of that is the size of the tube the MAF is in, and what the air intake looks like...that's why you're tuning the MAF table, so the PCM knows the correct amount of airflow for the frequency range your sensor sees.

I do see higher ranges in higher gears as there's more load on the engine, and it's actually breathing in all the air it can when it's not revving so fast.

I look at the graph and shift the cells above the frequencies I can get to to continue a smooth polynomial curve...that way should I see a colder day with better air density, it still fuels ok...but even then, as it's a polynomial, more and more airflow is less and less change in hz in the sensor...the difference in airflow from 580hp to 600 is a very small increase in frequency on the MAF in these cars. The difference from 140-160 is quite a bit though.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 11-10-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat