Thread: Tuning with dan Maslic's book

Tuning with dan Maslic's book

First tune after new injectors using book settings.hpt
    VCMSuiteInfo.txt
    More MAF increases.hpl
    After speedo and new injectors.hpl

I’m trying to tune my first engine build using Dan Maslics “Master EFI Tuner” book with HP Tuners (basic). I’m using Case Study 3 and can‘t get past the first step. I’ve set my ECM up by his criteria and am not having any luck tuning the Idle MAF AFR calibration. My target AFR is 12.5 and my actual reading is 14.5. I keep adjusting my “MAF Airflow vs. Output Frequency” (from 3,000hz and lower) to richen the mixture to equal 12.5. Each time I do, the STFT (reads -45 after 2 ) keep pulling more and more fuel out but my wideband always reads an AFR of 14.5. Does any know why this is?
    2012 ZL1 automatic, CAI intake,

Tuner
    I'm no expert but why would you have any fuel trims on? It's going to always try to add or subtract fuel to go back to stoich.

Click this link and go to page 13 http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2I&cad=rja

I was following the book, but it's either wrong or I did something wrong. Should I disconnect the MAF? Turn off fuel trims? What else?

Tuner
    Click the link and a PDF will pop up taking you step by step. MAF tuning starts at page 13. If you're trying to recalibrate the MAF then it needs to be plugged in.

Sorry, I missed the link, Thanks

Disable the STFT Openloop in the Closed & Open Loop tables. O2's will try and keep AFR to stoich. If at idle, why is the target afr 12.5? Need to be in Open loop, disable trims, clear them etc. so the pcm doesn't keep trying to compensate for you adding more and more fuel. You add it and the trims take it out.....

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 02-12-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

I was attempting to follow a book and lost site of the big picture. I'll look at this and see where it leads me.

Thanks to all

You are not reading the book careful enough or you would not be asking these questions. Dan's is one of the best and most informative tuning guides out there.

Study the tuning guide, make notes on the important steps and critical information presented, and then you should be able to perform open loop calibrations of
    MAF and VE and timing as covered in the book.

I recommend reading the entire book and making notes on it before attempting your first tune. Also, Greg Banish's 1st DVD would be very helpful to you in setting
    up the HP Tuners Scanner to record Lambda Error.

I got a lot of info from his book. The 12.5 target is a safety so you don't start out lean. As soon and you have some confidence in what your doing, adjust accordingly. I used the 12.5 and quickly was able to move it to my normal 14.22
    If you need pinouts for GM 98-09 PM me your email address with year, make, model and what you need.

2000 GMC Jimmy 6.0L w/ L92 heads and LS3 intake- Project has been parted.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula 411 ecu swap/ 6.0L w/ L92 heads and LS3 intake 224/230 595/595 cam. SOLD
    2006 Blue TBSS, 403 w/ Magnuson 2300 and 4l80e swap.