Thread: Cranks but won't start

Cranks but won't start

Changing things up a bit, decided to install a smaller boost friendly cam in my low comp 383. Just installed the new cam new lifters and new head gaskets. Got everything hooked up and turned the key and it just cranks, wont start. Checked for fuel, plugs were wet, put new ones in, checked for spark with an inline tester and its good, getting plenty of air, but no start. I believe the problem is in the tune any suggestions. File attached..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    " '01 SS "

I modified the cranking ve table and the stage 1 fa table some by lowering the values and no dice, but if I spray a shot of starter fluid in the intake it fires right up, what gives?

Forged 383
    3 Bar SD
    TU1 Cam
    79lb inj
    Dual Walbros return style
    43 psi
    " '01 SS "

Tuner in Training
    Cranking VE looks low compared to the regular VE table if that's accurate. Only thing that stands out to me.

*Derp, must have not read second post about you lowering VE. So IDk I cant help
    Last edited by david_viny; 11-19-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "cam only"
    228/232 110 cam, 10° overlap @.050" lift
    Edelbrock stepped headers, ORY, hooker catback

Advanced Tuner
    If it runs on starting fluid sounds like you aren't getting fuel even though you said plugs were wet. Make sure injectors are firing. Check all your grounds and wiring since you had everything apart. Unless for some reason to much fuel is being dumped and flooding out you plugs.

I was thinking that I 'm getting to much since the plugs were wet, so thats why I tried lowering the VE. I also lowered the crank FA tables by 20% and its still logging cranking afr at 6.56. The logs show the injectors are pulsing, plus if i step on the gas while cranking you can hear the difference in the way it cranks when the fuel is taken away.
    " '01 SS "

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano7 View Post
    If it runs on starting fluid sounds like you aren't getting fuel even though you said plugs were wet. Make sure injectors are firing. Check all your grounds and wiring since you had everything apart. Unless for some reason to much fuel is being dumped and flooding out you plugs.
    I pulled the intake and checked all the wiring and everything is plugged up, plus all the ground connections were tight.
    " '01 SS "

Advanced Tuner
    does it have a dizzy? is it 180 degrees out?
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Nope, no dizzy, I lowered my first stage cranking fuel tables and cranking ve tables again and still no change, my cranking AFR commanded is still 6.54, which table adjusts cranking AFR?
    " '01 SS "

Advanced Tuner
    You should do a compression test and leak down test just to make sure your install was good. If it ran fine before the cam change and the cam doesn't seem like anything crazy you should be able to get it to run on old tune. Sounds like something mechanical or electrical. If your pushrods are to long it won't start ask me how I know.

That actually was my next step, I can't see a smaller cam causing this much headache unless it was something extremely radical, and this isn't that extreme. I've seen much bigger cams crank even without a tune. I just wanted to make sure that I've done all I could before I start tearing engine parts back off. Thanks for the reply.
    " '01 SS "

Problem solved, it looks like 3 out of the 8 injectors had failed, replaced all eight and it fired right up. They all looked brand new, so I'm not sure what caused them to fail. But to make a long story short, there was fuel there, just not enough.
    " '01 SS "