Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Bar speed density

Tuner in Training

2 Bar speed density

Where do find the information needed to get a right 2 bar MAP sensor needed? Thank you.

what vehicle do you have??
    with a little research I can probably get you a part # for the right one that you need

In general you need a 2 bar MAP that has a 5v output and has a 5v reference
    -Scott -

www.SummitRacing.com
    PN# MSD-2313 3bar MAP
    PN# MSD-2312 2bar MAP
    PN# MSD-2311 1bar MAP

or

www.GMPartsDirect.com
    PN# 12223861 3bar MAP
    PN# 16040609 2bar MAP
    PN# 16137039 1bar MAP

heres some other GM stuff

1 Bar
    • GM part # 2503679
    • standard part # AS-5
    2 Bar3Bar
    • GM part # 16040749 or 12569241
    Extra info can be found here http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/mapsensor.htm
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 10-12-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    -Scott -

also on GM MAP sensors there is a 3 digit Identifier...

3 digit numbers for identification:
    1 Bar: 039, 460, 883, 876
    2 Bar: 886, 012, 539, 609, 701
    3 Bar: 749, 861
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    2002 Camaro

any of the ones listed above should work fine
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Where do find good information to get started with the custom speed density tune I did not see anything in the help file?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    its basically the same principles...just 2 bar & you'll want to run a safer a/f ratio...if theres anyone on the board that would like to do a writup or just change mine to reflect a 2 bar tune feel free to submit it to myself or hptuners. It took me about a week of writing, rewriting, modifying, editing the writup I did & that was with the help of a few board members. Im sure doing 2 bar would take about the same amount of time for most. Maybe sound engineer can do a flash program on that hehe.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I found this in the help file.

2 Bar MAP - Speed Density

This enhancement contains the following features:

2bar MAP sensor support (calibration capability for GM 0-5V linear MAP sensors)
    Extended Main VE table to 210kPa (2bar)
    Retains full 5 kPa resolution in non-boost regions
    5 kPa resolution in boost regions
    secondary VE table not used (if applicable)
    New MAP referenced "Boost Enrich" table
    New openloop MAP threshold
    Dual (High and Low Octane) Spark table support
    Speed Density mode only
    VCM Scanner histogram automatically recognizes and adjusts for 2bar feature
    New 2bar MAP PID for VCM Scanner
    NOTE: You must use a correctly calibrated 2bar MAP sensor for this application. The default MAP sensor calibration values may not be accurate for your MAP sensor.

Application Procedure

To apply the enhancement to you PCM please use the following procedure. NOTE: the procedure involves the use of the "Rewrite Entire VCM" process. This process is not guaranteed to be safe. Please do not attempt to rewrite entire VCM if you have had any trouble reading or writing the VCM in the past. If an error occurs during writing of critical operating system components and the VCM is powered down, the VCM will become unrecoverable via software methods.

Start with a stock or existing tune from the PCM.
    Open the file in VCM Editor
    Select Operating System, a window will appear with choices available.
    Apply the relevant modification by clicking the button.
    When prompted, save the file under a new name something like "XYZ_2bar.bin". This is now your new "Base" file that must be used for all future tuning.
    The editor will automatically close the file after saving.
    Open the newly saved file in the editor. You should see that the operating system ID has changed from your original file.
    (This step for 2bar and 3bar enhancement only) The VE table will be full of invalid data. You *must* create a valid VE table before writing the file to the PCM. It is a good idea to copy your previous VE table into the non-boost region and then copy and increase the last row of the VE table to the new boost area. It is important to start tuning on the rich side (higher numbers) and then work back to your desired AFR.
    Save the file in the editor, you are now ready to write to the PCM.
    IMPORTANT: The next step involves using the "Rewrite Entire VCM" option. Remember this option is not 100% recoverable on failure in some circumstances. Do NOT disconnect the battery if you have problems during this next step. Once this step is completed you can use the regular "Write VCM" function for all tuning changes.
    Connect to the vehicle and turn on ignition, wait 10secs.
    Still in VCM Editor with your file open, select Flash -> Write Entire VCM. The process takes approximately 2-4 minutes depending on vehicle type.
    When the write is completed, turn off ignition and wait 30secs.
    Turn on ignition, wait 10secs.
    The PCM should display the new operating system ID.
    At this point the VCM should be now running the new operating system and you can now use the regular and safe "Write VCM" for all future tuning changes.
    (This step for 2bar and 3bar enhancement only) Open VCM Scanner and connect to the vehicle. Open the Table display (Scan -> Table Display). Right-click the "Manifold Air Pressure (SAE)" PID and select "Delete". This removes the existing 1 bar PID from the table, if you don't do this the histogram will not function correctly.
    (This step for 2bar and 3bar enhancement only) Right-click again on the table display cell and select "Insert", go to the Engine -> Airflow section and choose either the "Manifold Air Pressure - 2 bar" or "Manifold Air Pressure - 3 bar" PID, double-click to insert it into the table.
    (This step for 2bar and 3bar enhancement only) Save the new scanner configuration using File -> Save Config.
    You are now ready to tune using your new enhanced PCM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    www.SummitRacing.com
    PN# MSD-2313 3bar MAP
    PN# MSD-2312 2bar MAP
    PN# MSD-2311 1bar MAP

or

www.GMPartsDirect.com
    PN# 12223861 3bar MAP
    PN# 16040609 2bar MAP
    PN# 16137039 1bar MAP

1 Bar
    • GM part # 2503679
    • standard part # AS-5
    2 Bar
    • GM part # 16009886
    • Wells part # SU-129
    • standard part # AS-4
    3Bar
    • GM part # 16040749

Hello Soundengineer,
    I ordered the 3bar MAP Sensor from GMPartsdirect.com, it looks like Part#12223861 replaced the other GM Map Sensor Part # 16040749.

I should have asked first but I ordered it based on the information on this thread. It is for my 01 Corvette which has an LS6 intake.

Will this MAP sensor just plug into the back of the intake like the existing one?

Also I was told to use an 89 Buick MAP Sensor, the Part numbers above for 3 bar goes to an 89 Trans Am. Are they both the same?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
    Hello Soundengineer,
    I ordered the 3bar MAP Sensor from GMPartsdirect.com, it looks like Part#12223861 replaced the other GM Map Sensor Part # 16040749.

I should have asked first but I ordered it based on the information on this thread. It is for my 01 Corvette which has an LS6 intake.

Will this MAP sensor just plug into the back of the intake like the existing one?

Also I was told to use an 89 Buick MAP Sensor, the Part numbers above for 3 bar goes to an 89 Trans Am. Are they both the same?

Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure on that....these are #'s I was given by a buddy who was a GM service tech...he no longer works there...he's at a much happier job for him now..LOL
    -Scott -

Hello Soundengineer,

Thanks
    The new and old sensors are basically identical just a connector change. They have the same transfer functions and Neither of the 3 bar sensors are the new manifold style.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NTIMID8
    The new and old sensors are basically identical just a connector change. They have the same transfer functions and Neither of the 3 bar sensors are the new manifold style.

So can I leave the stock one in place, connect a vacuum line to the stock MAP from the 3 bar MAP, but of course connect the 3bar MAP to the wire harness connector...instead of the stock MAP connector? Would this work?

Or does anybody have a grommet to plug in the back of the new manifold and then run a vacuum line from it to the 3bar?

How are people connecting the 3bar MAPs to the newer style (ls1, ls6) manifolds?

Thanks

Here's a verified plug&play 2-bar sensor P/N for an LSx style intake:
    GM P/N: 12580698 AC Delco: 213-1631
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Here's a verified plug&play 2-bar sensor P/N for an LSx style intake:
    GM P/N: 12580698 AC Delco: 213-1631

thanks, that is probably off of the cobalt...I need a 3 bar...2 bar isn't enough.

So can I leave the stock one in place, connect a vacuum line to the stock MAP from the 3 bar MAP, but of course connect the 3bar MAP to the wire harness connector...instead of the stock MAP connector? Would this work?

Or does anybody have a grommet to plug in the back of the new manifold and then run a vacuum line from it to the 3bar?

How are people connecting the 3bar MAPs to the newer style (ls1, ls6) manifolds?

Thanks
    Yes, but the connectors are different. Might want to think about a jumper harness. Something like, oh lets say the LS2 manifold map sensor extention and change the connector on it for the 3 bar end. Most good autoparts store have a Packard 3 pin weather pack kit on the shelf. This will allow you to remote mount and allow you to switch back and forth easily till your comfortable with the 3 bar tune.

Advanced Tuner
    ok one question if i go 2bar now and want 3 bar later do i have to pay to up grade? and i want 2bar but only need one bar now can i buy 2bar and only use one bar tuning until i get my turbo installed? it looks like i can just want to make sure.
    Last edited by 4.8t; 03-01-2006 at 04:49 PM.
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/turb...mph_741849.htm

If both are available for your OS you will receive both 2 and 3 bar at the same time.

Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    www.SummitRacing.com
    PN# MSD-2313 3bar MAP
    PN# MSD-2312 2bar MAP
    PN# MSD-2311 1bar MAP

or

www.GMPartsDirect.com
    PN# 12223861 3bar MAP
    PN# 16040609 2bar MAP
    PN# 16137039 1bar MAP

1 Bar
    • GM part # 2503679
    • standard part # AS-5
    2 Bar
    • GM part # 16009886
    • Wells part # SU-129
    • standard part # AS-4
    3Bar
    • GM part # 16040749

Will these work with a 2000 truck intake manifold?
    2000 EC, SB Z71 03 LQ4, 05 front clip with e-fans, STS turbo, GT67, Blow off valve, 170Kpa, Alkycontrol, 44lbs injectors @ 100% dutycycle, Comp 918's, HPtuner, 02 ECM, Dyno Jet Wideband, Eaton LSD, Speed Engineering 4l80e conversion, 2800 ART CARR stall removed now running stocker . 11.87 @ 114
    New times 11.41 @ 119.. look out 10's here I come.....