Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wont start after writing tune

Potential Tuner

wont start after writing tune

Ok help please. This has happened a few time. I write a tune then it wont start. The only thing I am changing is the wot and in fact all I am doing is trying to bring it back to what the tune shop set it at nothing less. Either way after writing the tune it wont start I wait 3 minutes still issues. This has happened a few times over the last 2 weeks. first time thought it was the mass sensor so I replaced it. Today I ended up disconnecting the mass sensor reconnecting it then with some hesitation it started after that it has been starting ok. The 29th is what I was running 30th is new file. It needs to be noted tuner had all settings at 1300/1336 Also same thing happened when just downloading a tune. which should not effect anything. Any help would be great getting concerned on using tuner.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you tried doing a write entire?
    Precision Racing in San Antonio.

New shop better people, attitude, and TUNING...

Senior Tuner
    It's a known bug with the Camaro's only with HPtuners...HPTuners is not issuing a proper reset command or something along those lines to the CAN bus. EVERY time I flash I deal with the same problem. Either wait 10-15 minutes (maybe even longer) or pop the trunk and unhook the battery for an instant.

My car does not have this issue with 2 other software packages, but it happens every time with HPTuners.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Check out Bills post from 2009...http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post194135 it's been a known issue for years, and has not been fixed
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    It's a known bug with the Camaro's only with HPtuners...HPTuners is not issuing a proper reset command or something along those lines to the CAN bus. EVERY time I flash I deal with the same problem. Either wait 10-15 minutes (maybe even longer) or pop the trunk and unhook the battery for an instant.

My car does not have this issue with 2 other software packages, but it happens every time with HPTuners.

Thank you I appreciate the information. I was not sure if it was hardware or software. At least now I know what to do will try it next time.

Do you know if taking off fast write help reduce the issue?
    Last edited by macwest; 08-03-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I've tried turning that off, no difference, tried writing calibration only versus write entire, also doesn't help. Again, I know it's not my car as everything works fine with other software.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Potential Tuner
    I've tried turning that off, no difference, tried writing calibration only versus write entire, also doesn't help. Again, I know it's not my car as everything works fine with other software.
    Flashed it again yesterday. After a flash I get the air conditioning wont shut off error...Odd, this happens every flash. Anyways. from there I turned key off then back on then I used hp Tuner to download the flash. After it completed, it set the lower right display to "Cal", with no error, and my car started fine. I need to redo this a few times to make sure this was not a fluke but now that I have it flashed were I want it I really do not want to take chance.

I would seem, as you stated, the flash does not clean out the tables but by either disconnecting batter or re-downloading the flash it helps. I found if it does start after a flash with out a proper cleanup the car does not seem to relearn the cal correctly.

I would not dare try write everything until I understand this completely . I believe, and HP tuners can chime in, but I suspect a write everything would effect bootloader were write calibration only writes only a small memory segment and that is why they recommend the write calibration only.

Almost like to sign up as a programmer just to fix it. I program with both windows and embedded devices every day. This issue is annoying at best and makes me cringe every time I flash.

please email me directly regarding this issue. I've tried solving this problem around 5 times in the past but everyone who emails me about it cannot tell me why the engine won't start (eg. is it fuel pressure, spark, VATS or some other thing) or their problems suddenly "fix themselves". GM themselves have problems with some E38's but it seems the Camaro has an oddball issue. We see people not keying on/off correctly with push button start vehicles etc. I think I can solve the problem pretty quickly once I actually know what it is.

BTW, there is no danger of write entire vs. cal only. Both are fully recoverable in case of a write failure. The E38's have a boot sector that is not flashed.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    please email me directly regarding this issue. I've tried solving this problem around 5 times in the past but everyone who emails me about it cannot tell me why the engine won't start (eg. is it fuel pressure, spark, VATS or some other thing) or their problems suddenly "fix themselves". GM themselves have problems with some E38's but it seems the Camaro has an oddball issue. We see people not keying on/off correctly with push button start vehicles etc. I think I can solve the problem pretty quickly once I actually know what it is.

BTW, there is no danger of write entire vs. cal only. Both are fully recoverable in case of a write failure. The E38's have a boot sector that is not flashed.
    Glad to hear on boot sector. Most embedded device I program have their boot sector reprogrammed on a full flash.

ON the last bad flash you can see from what I have uploaded I just changed WOT nothing else when I brought it down issue started. I flashed it back to the first flash and it started finally. I will email mail you directly and send my number I would suspect a 5 minute phone call would give allot better insight then multiple emails.

Senior Tuner
    Chris, I've tried to send you an e-mail, I'll do anything I can to help fix this too. Please keep me in the loop guys. Thank you.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Potential Tuner
    ANy word from Chris? last was he would contact me never heard anything else

What I found to work so far was after a flash was turn key off and back on. Then download the tuen I just did. This some how sends a clear and then it started with no issues.

Senior Tuner
    He has asked me to check some fuel pressure related things...I'm waiting for a fitting to arrive to I can connect a mechanical gauge (I don't have stock rails, and when I mentioned that the FPCM reports actual fuel pressure to the scanner, it sounded like they want actual mechanical gauge readings from the rail) and then report back to him.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    I had some time to troubleshoot some more and already sent this info off to Chris, but thought I'd offer it here as well. I finally hooked up a gauge, and verified I actually see the fuel pressure a little high before it starts. I also can make the fuel pump prime in VCM Scanner and the car still starts hard...sometimes it'll have an extended crank and then fire, sometimes I have to actually play with the throttle a little to get it to fire. I don't always hear the pump prime on its own with the key right after a flash though.

In order to test I flashed a new tune, when it said it was complete I turned the ignition off, removed the key and opened the door. I then timed 30 seconds, put the key in and tried to start it.

I did a little more playing around. If I flash calibration only, key off, wait 15 seconds, and try to restart the car, it starts hard. If I do the same thing but wait 3 minutes, same problem, if I wait significantly longer, there's no issue, the car starts right up.

If i flash calibration only, key off, wait 15 seconds, key on, read entire (takes 2-3 minutes), key off, wait 15 seconds again, the car starts right up without any issue at all.

Makes me think that something is reset different on a write versus a read?

I also tried write entire versus calibration only, and it did not appear to make any difference.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Potential Tuner
    I had some time to troubleshoot some more and already sent this info off to Chris, but thought I'd offer it here as well. I finally hooked up a gauge, and verified I actually see the fuel pressure a little high before it starts. I also can make the fuel pump prime in VCM Scanner and the car still starts hard...sometimes it'll have an extended crank and then fire, sometimes I have to actually play with the throttle a little to get it to fire. I don't always hear the pump prime on its own with the key right after a flash though.

In order to test I flashed a new tune, when it said it was complete I turned the ignition off, removed the key and opened the door. I then timed 30 seconds, put the key in and tried to start it.

I did a little more playing around. If I flash calibration only, key off, wait 15 seconds, and try to restart the car, it starts hard. If I do the same thing but wait 3 minutes, same problem, if I wait significantly longer, there's no issue, the car starts right up.

If i flash calibration only, key off, wait 15 seconds, key on, read entire (takes 2-3 minutes), key off, wait 15 seconds again, the car starts right up without any issue at all.

I also tried write entire versus calibration only, and it did not appear to make any difference.

After a flash if you key off then download just like you did it works fine for me. That is also the same information I relied to chris a while ago. By the way it would seem to work I suspect whatever reset commmand the read sends the write does not do.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by macwest View Post
    After a flash if you key off then download just like you did it works fine for me. That is also the same information I relied to chris a while ago. By the way it would seem to work I suspect whatever reset commmand the read sends the write does not do.
    A friend and I also tried flashing my car with the other software, and it fired right up after a 15 second key off...no codes, no issues...completely normal startup...did a calibration flash and a full flash to test.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I have a 2010 SS also, and flashed it probably 80 times, but it's always started after a flash. I do notice an occasional slightly extended start during crank after the first flash. Always starts up after flashing, sometimes I don't even turn the key off after a flash.

Wondering if it's somehow related to the version/Serial # of the hardware being used? (mine is pretty new).

I do sometimes see a "Stabiltrack" error message right after starting but not related to flashing since I haven't flashed it in over a month.. I might see it 1 of 10 startup's but it goes away pretty quick.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    I have a 2010 SS also, and flashed it probably 80 times, but it's always started after a flash. I do notice an occasional slightly extended start during crank after the first flash. Always starts up after flashing, sometimes I don't even turn the key off after a flash.

Wondering if it's somehow related to the version/Serial # of the hardware being used? (mine is pretty new).

I do sometimes see a "Stabiltrack" error message right after starting but not related to flashing since I haven't flashed it in over a month.. I might see it 1 of 10 startup's but it goes away pretty quick.
    Is your car a 1SS or a 2SS? Do you have back up sensors? There are some differences in the 2010's that happened mid model year, I wonder if the BCM needs special treatment??? If that matters, mine is a 2SS with backup sensors...but the first 2010 SS I tuned was a very early 2SS that did not have backup sensors. The SLPZL575 I tuned was also originally a 2SS, but I can't remember if it had backup sensors or not. None of this info probably matters, but I'm just kinda grabbing at straws to find an answer.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 08-19-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

2SS, yes I have backup sensors. Mine might be a later 2010... not 100% sure. Yea just figured I'd throw this info out there, maybe it will help someone.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner

Try aborting the read after a 20-30 seconds and see if it starts right up. That way you won't have to wait for the whole read and it may help provide some futher info.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    I'll try as soon as I can, might be a day or 2 though.
    2023 Durango Hellcat