Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 08 silverado e38 no start - vats??

ok, here's with the speed limiter completely removed - or at least all i can do in the file.
    same result.
    guess it's time for new ecm.

you can also see me moving the throttle in this one. it responds completely normal as well.

Senior Tuner
    I am paying attention lol.
    You only said you saw cranking RPM
    nothing about logging Cam and Crank sensor data.

I thought the Vehicle Theft system only cut fuel and not spark???
    If you have set DTCs correctly as you say then it would have to be a sensor or harness issue hence I say start with basics.

Besure you have all your Bat/Ign feeds and grounds at Pcm.
    I would log only
    ign
    rpm
    cam
    crank

My gut feeling says it is a harness issue.

Senior Tuner
    sorry I dont see a log of the cam and crank sensors,
    and you you didnt say you had done a pinout test at pcm.

though I would also try setting dtcs 1631 633 615 513 to 3
    especially P1631
    Last edited by planethax; 01-16-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: edited due to OP's edit

i revised that post, it was a bit harsh once i'd read it. thanks for not firing back :-)

well, if i have cranking rpm, that at least means the crank sensor is working properly, yes? it will use the missing teeth as its rotation reference. should even start without the cam sensor. then give cam sensor code.

did try cranking with no cam sensor and didn't get smk code, but that seemed ok because it would take a switch from crank to run mode to trigger it i believe.

so only thing missing from my log you're asking for is cam-crank.

i thought it was harness issue, but sensors are saying otherwise. they're all there. constant 12v is right, ign is right. only 9.5v on cranking. 12v at the injectors and coils.

biggest issue to me is the ecu doesn't ever show inj open time. outside of vats, it should only need the map sensor and crank to try and start. other things like starter relay and main relay could be a part of that equation, even DBW, but all that is either disabled or a known working part.

One thing you can try is setting from gmlan to calibration in speedo. I no on the newer trucks even if you set the speed limiters all the way up it would still shut it down at 110 with the gmlan setting. If this does not work get the test light out and check with ing on motor off trans fuse,engine sensor fuse,inj/ign fuse even odd banks.

ok, i saw that setting for the limiter. i'll change it and see.

don't understand about the fuses though. ecu has power and so does inj/coils. we've verified that. the trans is manual valvebody t400 so it has no connection at all to the ecm.

Just to make clear to me you have verified that you have voltage off the inj/coils wireing harness when your cranking it over? i know you have it with key on motor off. Pull the fuel pump relay and then turn key on and tell me if the pump runs?

Advanced Tuner
    I've seen multiple swaps have the no spark issue from the coils not being powered during cranking like said above
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

ok, that is a good one to check.
    didn't check that during cranking, only key on, engine off.
    but that would only fix the no spark, still stuck with the ecu clearly not triggering the injectors.

but i do have to tell everyone thanks for the help, however, it's being converted to a mefi 4 because we're out of time. this thing is entered in the king of the hammers race and we're just out of time.

when it's gone, i'll pin the whole harness out and see if i come up with something and i had also planned to try the ecm in another customer's 08 silverado.

if i find a solution, i'll post it for certain.

what year esclade? If it ain't 08 and newer you may have wrong crank trigger 28 vs 58
    53 Mercury pickup triton3v V10 supercharged 150 nos 535rwhp
    71 Roadrunner gen 4 viper
    53 Chevy pickup 4x4 5.3L twin turbo

it's an 08 6.2L.
    don't believe there was ever a 6.2L with a 24 tooth trigger wheel.
    and i don't think we'd see cranking rpm that's correct (150-200) if the ecu was a mismatch to the trigger wheel.
    but i'm 1000% sure it's 58x because that's the cal file i loaded into the mefi and it started on the 2nd try.
    goes on the dyno monday.

Good to hear.

This is such a good thread.... and then it gets sent to pasture. I've got an engine swapped LS3 into a mustang with the E38 ecm I'm having a similar no start problem. My setup is 100% standalone as yours is. Read this whole thread and the only thing I haven't done to my tune was my P1631 code was set to 2-no MIL instead of 3-no reporting. However, I did find that my fuel pumps are powered up when key on, but shut off when i go to crank position. I have to diagnose this because I'm guessing my loss of IGN 12V in crank may also be killing my IGN 12V circuits for my ECM as well. I verified all my circuits with the key in the on position, but its difficult to do in crank mode without an assistant. I guess I could leave the key in ignition on position and just manually jump the starter solenoid circuit to see if this is my problem.

Anyhow, an update from the OP would be great!
    Matt

GM World Class Technician

Update:

I found that I was losing my IGN 12V when the key was turned to the crank position. Temporarily replaced the starter relay with a push button and the engine fired up.
    Matt

an ls3 into a ford. that could almost make a person consider a ford

we never had a chance to revisit this. could be the same thing, could have been something else. to go with the mefi ecu required a completely different harness so it wasn't just an ecu swap, it was the whole thing.

this was also a king of the hammers "truck" so it didn't have a key, had a button for start and switch for igition. we didn't touch any of that with the mefi harness so i don't think it was a problem with that portion of the truck's harness.

wish i had more info for you, but we had to move on because the race was right around the corner.

Thanks for the update. Hope the truck did well!
    Matt