Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 silverado e38 no start - vats??

08 silverado e38 no start - vats??

6.2 from escalade in off road car with 08 silverado 2500hd 6L e38 ecu and pedal (dbw tb is oe escalade but same part as silverado) and it won't start.

there are no codes.

won't start because ecm won't give fuel. inj open time is 0.0 PERIOD.

attached is log trying to start it and the file.

vats isn't in system like usual, but in OS. both are now disabled.

still won't start.

is there something else i need to do? need to get this running ASAP.

thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    All the vats patches are set to disabled so thats not the issue, I assume you did a write entire?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

log the PID "Fuel Cut Type", it will tell you the reason. Probably related to the starter wiring check diagnostic.
    I count sheep in hex...

bill, wasn't sure about write entire, so tried that and no change.
    chris, thanks i'll try it in the morning. didn't even know that was a PID.
    also found a post where 12v constant and 12v ign were put together and only connected to constant. since it's a swap and i didn't do the wiring, i'll check that as well.

the starter relay can be either on the high side (12V) or the low side (GND). It needs to be wired the same way as the original vehicle was otherwise the diagnostic gets confused.
    I count sheep in hex...

ok, but the engine is in a rock crawler. there is no starter relay anymore.
    is that the problem?
    fut cut type says NONE. so no added info there.
    not getting spark either.
    i'm going to have to tear into the harness, not what i wanted to do....
    but please LMK about the starter relay and if i need to do anything there.
    this setup is 100% stand alone.

Can you get the fuel pump to run using the vcm controls?

Tuner in Training
    If you take the power train relay control to ground that will trip the computer out to think the relay was flipped. Its pin 59 in the black ecm connector, run that wire to good ground sourse. Who did the harness?

c.u - yes, but only with the pwm controls. the top 2 are greyed out, but with pmw, it will turn on. there is no fuel control module though and it's also setup for NOT having one in the calibration.

triple - there is nothing on 59 or 52 (starter relay) in the harness. any pins that weren't needed were removed. so to put ground to 59, i've got to find a pin someplace else to temporarily use since i don't have any extras. PRK in mesa, az did the harness.

cut 58 wire and moved it to 59, then grounded it.

no change.

at wit's end. going to have to get lingerfelter box and put this thing on an 0411 box and DBC. just no other choice.

12v ign and constant are isolated and where they should be. big boys say can't be vats and there are NO dtcs.

can't see how ecm would be bad if it can read and write and all sensors read including seeing the cranking rpm. can even go wot on the pedal and the TB does it.

ANYTHING ELSE????

don't know if it helps or not, but only other odds things are the vss is at 158 all the time despite there being no input to the ecu and there is also no spark despite confirmed 12v at the coils (all of them). you can see the 158 in the datalog above.

Tuner in Training
    have you gone through your dtc codes and shut off the imoblizer key codes and ALL the theft codes, is there a way to check your cmp and ckp codes, as well. This may be a dumb question but are you sure you have a 6.0l, the math doesn't add up. your program looks like its set for a 6.2?

yes, sorry, it is 6.2, it's from an escalade. my first post said that. 6.2 engine. 6,0 ecm.
    if you DL the file, you'll see all that is shut off.

going to 0411

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    One of the more concerning things in the file is that the electronic throttle axis type appears to be switched from the stock value for every 2008 silverado file I've opened(about a dozen now checking), altering this switch often sets a P0606 code in the pcm which can cause major issues including no start, limp mode, etc. to me. Theres a bunch of other misc stuff changed but that appears to be the most major issue to me.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

something weird is going on with the scanner, try deleting everything and only add the basic PIDs you want to log, remove anything that shows "unsupported".

Your commanded AFR shows 2.36 etc...

I can't believe the Fuel Cut Type shows None, try logging just RPM and the Fuel Cut type PID as a test.
    I count sheep in hex...

ok, 100% stock file, ONLY vats and theft stuff turned off, using default imperial config file in the scanner with just fuel cut pid added.

you can see cut is none. you can also see all the other sensors are fully active.

i'm willing to try anything you might come up with.

also included the file so you can see the throttle is back where you expect. NO idea how that was changed.

i don't know why you don't see the dtcs when it's cranking in the log, but there are the ones you'd expect from a swap and file with only vats off. the other screen shot shows these.

Tuner in Training
    Not sure if this is possible, but your vehicle PID says your are doing 158 mph, but on the tune, the limiter is set at 98 mph. Would that cause the injectors not to fire?

yes, mentioned that in post #11, but bill had found another problem to address as well as a new log file requested from chris.
    i'll disable the speed limiter and try again though.

Senior Tuner
    Start with the basics,
    Scan Crank and Cam sensors and check for Rpm during crank.

planethax,
    please see above posts. done all that.
    i've said multiple times you can see rpm during cranking. there are 2 datalogs to verify that.
    all sensors are checking out. all temps, map, tps, cam/crank, voltage, all of them.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.