Thread: Oh crap...what happened?

Tuner in Training

Oh crap...what happened?

I drove the car to work this morning logging everything to tune VE tables and had no problems. As I left work I started up the car and let it get warm and once it was good started logging again. I noticed some of the errors were much higher than earlier and thought it was maybe just because it had gotten hotter. Well I get within a couple miles of the house and my WB spikes and the car starts running like crap. I pull over and start checking everything out and don't see anything wrong. Car idles fine, but stumbles if you try to give it gas. I then plugged the MAF back in and reloaded the stock tune, and same thing. I just installed a Racetronix pump last week and am hoping that isn't my problem, but I was logging so I was hoping someone might could look and give me an idea of what is going on.

Fail1 is the drive home. Fail2 is after I turned the MAF back on.
    98 Trans Am, M6, 3.90's, Lid, Z06 MAF, LS6 intake, EGR & AIR delete, ARH LT's & ORY, Magnaflow CB, & a little giggle gas.
    I got 98 problems, but Vtec ain't one.

Your o2 voltages take a massive dive then seem to come back to life. They keep doing it, and that alone concerns me. I'd look into that one first, unless someone can offer an explanation as to why they flatline and then start bopping around again. Bad connection somewhere? It'd be odd for both of them to die at the same time.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.

Tuner in Training
    I just put in new Denso ones not 20 miles ago. What should they be at b/c I noticed when cruising they seem very low.
    98 Trans Am, M6, 3.90's, Lid, Z06 MAF, LS6 intake, EGR & AIR delete, ARH LT's & ORY, Magnaflow CB, & a little giggle gas.

Idealy, they should hover around 800mv. They should never really flat line like that and then suddenly start bopping around again. Low is lean and high is rich. So that pegged out pretty much pure lean. Not quite sure what stoich would read on an o2 though. Maybe 500-600mv.
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 06-24-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Well I fixed it. Not sure if it was bad gas, or just no fuel. I put a few gallons in and after a second it started running fine. I've ran the car out of gas before and it didn't do this, it stumbled a bit and then died. Tonight it never died, just bogged. Gauge read just under a quarter of a tank, so IDK.

Maybe change your fuel filter, just for hahas.

Tuner in Training
    Did that first. lol

Senior Tuner
    Racetronix pumps sometime loose their prime when run low,
    never let it go under 1/4 tank and you will be fine.

I guess top it off, and log again to see how your o2mv's act. Just to be sure low fuel was the problem.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, car runs great again. That sux because I never filled the tank more than about half full to save weight. Guess I don't have a choice now.