Thread: -20% fuel trims on stock engine?!?!?!

Advanced Tuner

-20% fuel trims on stock engine?!?!?!

2005 GTP comp G

While doing a routine tune up my friends car I decided to scan it. At first things looked normal but then gradually the fuel trims went waaay negative. I also noticed misfires when I stab the throttle and let off quickly while at a dead stop. #3 cylinder misfires the most with # 6 being second (scan shows #4 on start up). I've exhausted myself trying to figure this car out.

At first the car ran like crap because the egr was stuck open. After pulling it off and cleaning it commanded % matched actual % so that's fixed.

Here's a list of things I've done

- replaced plugs/ wires/ air filter/ pcv
    - cleaned maf and TB
    - disconnected maf to see if trims changed which they didn't
    - swapped 2/5 coil with 3/6 (misfires did not follow coil)
    - tested fuel pressure (60 psi)
    - fuel pressure leak down test did not show significant loss of pressure
    - swapped O2 sensors to see if trims changed.......nope
    - check for vacuum leaks
    - unplugged evap
    - reset trims

The only thing I haven't done is plug the wideband in to see what the a/f looks like and swap injectors to see if the misfires follow. Not sure if the misfires and trims are related since there isn't a direct correlation between the negative trims and frequency of misfires. The strange part is, within the first couple minutes of starting the trims look almost fine. IS THIS NORMAL??

what the heck is wrong????

-leaky evap? bad injectors? retarded car?

the scan doesn't show -20% trims but I've seen up to that previously.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Senior Tuner
    Have not looked at log, but have you checked to see if Cat is plugged?

Advanced Tuner
    No I haven't, seems to be ok and the logged cat temp is acceptable. Would a clogged cat cause fuel to be pulled?

Tuner in Training
    Well I would assume if you block the flow of air that can exit, you are choking the engine. So it wouldn't need as much fuel.

If you block the intake limiting air flow in, you dont need as much fuel. This seems logical to me that it would work both ways
    -Patrick

2000 camaro: zzp xp-cam(130vs,dual timing chain,retainers),Hp tuners pro, LM1 wideband, pacesetter headers, custom true dual exhaust, full intake, stock lsd and 3.42 gears, !egr, msd wires, blistein rear and KYB front shocks.

Build in progress: Procharger P1sc-1 head unit, headunit rebuild kit, bosch by-pass valve, Walbro, progressive AEM meth injection, custom bracket, no intercooler.

PB 1/8th: only mod was Flowmaster muffler 9.94sec

Advanced Tuner
    If it's intermittent it sounds like the Evap is playing it's games.
    try unplugging the electric and quick connect (tank side) end on the evap sensor on the engine and see if the settles the LFT's down, Quell the OBD code. then give it a try.
    Last edited by GeoJB; 07-13-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Advanced Tuner
    I unplugged the electrical connector but didn't mess with the actual fitting. When/ if I see the car again I will try that.

Advanced Tuner
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Advanced Tuner
    cool, interesting read. However, this car isn't throwing a code. I wonder if this sensor is on the 04+ cars too.