Thread: '08 Mustang GT500 PCM swap

'08 Mustang GT500 PCM swap

I have a Customer's car in the shop that needs a replacemnet PCM. Just trying to figure out my options on compatible hardware. The car is an '08 Mustang GT500 with a Super Snake conversion. It is currently running some type of custom SCT tune. The shop that Installed the SS conversion is now out of business.

My thoughts are: 1)read the current calibration with HP Tuners. 2) return the current PCM to "stock" with the SCT handheld (customer supplied). 3) Replace the defective pcm.

This is where my question comes in. The part number on the PCM is for a Mustang GT 500 (8R3Z12A 650SB) which is special order. What other hardware is compatible to reflash (j2534) to "stock" file then reapply sct tune or previously read tune from HPT. Will any similarly equipped Mustang work? F150?

Alex

'99 silverado 2500 4x4, 408, inlet forward MP122HH, 60# mototrons, borla exhaust, HPT 2bar OLSD

Well, I tried a couple used PCM's nothing would communicate. first one was from an '05 v6. Checked schematics and CAN data communication pinouts were different so no brainer there. Second PCM, I don't remember what it was from but don't know why it didnt work pinouts SHOULD have been the same.

Anyway finally ended up ordering a brand new one from Ford. It came with the stock GT500 tune loaded already. I returned the original PCM to stock and loaded the SCT file to the new PCM. Reprogrammed PATS (had to get a second key made), and all i can say is that car is BADASS!

FWIW the FMP j2534 program sucks balls! Thats the only j2534 application i consistently have problems with. sorry just had to vent.

'99 silverado 2500 4x4, 408, inlet forward MP122HH, 60# mototrons, borla exhaust, HPT 2bar OLSD