Thread: Tuning in 2 bar map on 03 cavalier

Potential Tuner

Tuning in 2 bar map on 03 cavalier

Hi, Im new to the threads here but im a hp tuners customer and I would really appreciate any help you guys have. I turbocharged my cavalier about a year ago and need to switch to the 2 bar map sensor. It has the 2.2 ecotec, 5 speed transmission, 42 or 46lb injectors(cant remember), and a saab 9-3 turbocharger running 11 psi. The car runs pretty well and is daily driven at least 250 miles a week, but the problem is that I am only getting like 16 mpgs the way the tune is and could have a smoother more powerful range with the 2 bar map. I have the 12580698 map sensor from the cobalt ss and have tried cutting the resolution in half with hp tuners but cannot get it to run right. It seems as if whatever I try it is always WAY to rich, like 10.5afr at idle. Also I noticed that the fuel trims are maxing out in the negatives and staying there. Im hoping I can find someone who has faked a 2 bar map with hpt or knows how to. I will attach my current tune with the stock map for reference. Any advice would be helpful and thank you for your time in advance.

I have not looked at your file, but its more complicated than what you are thinking. The injector constant has to be fudged, and any table that is referenced be the MAP sensor had to be modified. The fueling is still controlled by the TPS though.. (Alpha N)... Honestly, I advise against doing this as you are just losing resolution....

P&P Tuning

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    this 2bar fake is going to be a massive bandaid for the fuel map you should look into upgrading the map for better resolution as previously stated
    im with the lnf guys though so i dont know if your mapping allows map recallibration
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 02-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

there is no maf sensor on a j-body. i know the older 2.4l is alpha-n, however i was always under the impression the ecotec (at least 2003+) in a j body was map based fueling.
    2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged
    60lb injectors, 2.7" pulley, ported blower, dual pass intercooler with option B, cobra heat exchanger, devils own alcohol injection, clear image mid length header, 2 1/2" catless exhaust, zzp intake, powell motorsport "rotated" mounts, hurst shifter, Pedders springs, ss/tc struts, hawk pads and r1 rotors

yea i missed typed id upgrade to a 2.5 bar at the lowest

As stated, your fueling is controlled by the TPS. Only the idle fueling is based on the Map sensor. So a 2 bar map sensor won't do anything other than causing a tuning headache.

You need to lower the VE offset, as the lowest value allowed in the VE table is 100 with a 100 offset.

Also your IPW multiplier is backwards, and when larger injectors are used, the injector constant is lowered not raised.

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner

Unhappy

I understand I will be losing resolution but I thought my range of map based fueling would be twice as large because I would be squezing the original 0-100 into 0-50 kpa leaving me with another 50-100kpa to play with(which would now be atmospheric psi-12psi). My idle ve table ends at 1600rpms which i do see boost there, and my tps based fueling starts at 3800 rpms so whats in between?map or tps? i dont understand this hp tuners completly yet but it kinda works. Is there something i dont see in the editor or are the small amount of tables i do have to edit all i got?

Cobaltssoverbooster-Why would I use a 2.5 bar map at the lowest, im only using 12psi of boost max on the stock engine, plus everyone is now saying it wont make any difference with the 2 bar because its speed density and ill just lose resolution.

Russ K-The VE offset is at 100, I raised my injector constant to the max and lowered ipw(except at 95kpa which is the largest value it has) accordingly because I was trying to attain the most fuel up top without getting larger injectors, which worked and yes I know this increases duty cycle.lol What do you mean my ipw multiplier is backwards though, I kept the same curve it had just lowed the values the same across the table.
    I have 14.7afr from 30-5 in. vac, 5-1in. vac is 13.5afr when It hits atmospheric pressure it hits 10 afr instantly and slowely works to 11.5afr as boost raises to 12psi. Im trying to stop it from dumping fuel in when its at atmospheric pressure, so basically the map will do no good in achieving this or will it? I just want smooth fueling
    Please, Look at my file, I love constructive critisism.And thanks for the quick replys.

Tuner in Training
    Use my tool to have the right Injector Constant.

Take the Fuel Rail Pressure and : http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37279
    Boost Lover

I think Russ is the only one in this thread that "gets" it... To the OP, Read this... I put it together for the JBody crowd. Make sure you read the part about VE/VE Offset. Maybe it will help you understand more....

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...=23783&t=23783

EDIT.... I just looked at your tune... I would say its time to start from scratch.... There is a lot that needs to be changed.......
    Last edited by imphat0260; 02-19-2012 at 08:17 PM.

P&P Tuning

drop a carabine system in it a f* it lol all u need is is screwdriver, tps, engine coolant, baro, int charge temp and blamo tuning up to 8000 rpm

yea i know not helping....listen to russ and imphat and youll be done soon

Tuner in Training
    I look your tuned. The car start with that
    Boost Lover

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the help guys, that's a very good write up. Well ill keep working at it, I want to switch to the Saturn redline o.s. now tho.lol it runs beautiful though just runs rich when you first gun it until it builds. I might just go back to a rise rate for in boost fueling. Has anybody had a problem with oil/smoke coming out the exhaust side on a turbo 2.2 I'm on the 3. The first one lasted almost a year but they keep burning oil. I restricted the feed and can't figure it out. I'm very close to taking it all off and going stock but I don't want to give up just yet.

Advanced Tuner
    Tomorrow I'll shoot you something to look at and compare that was running great in a 2.5 bar SC setup car at slightly higher boost with bigger injectors so you can see 1 direction. There are 2 advantages to using the 2.5 bar. The small one is having timing control in boost, the big one is being able to use the IPWM vs VAC table to create the general shape of what you expect your speed density to look like and then tune the rpms and fine tune with the tps VE maps, its a silly silly way to tune a car, BUT IMO if done right will work better than using just the alpha-n maps with the IPWM vs VAC set to all 1. In all honesty the 1 bar setup is easier to tune and will yield results that most people would find acceptable. I went though ~20+ iteration of doing it with my 2.5 bar method, and it was almost perfect before I crashed it, but its a lot of work, a lot of trial, a good bit of luck, and a lot of miles to get that tuned in just right.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Potential Tuner
    Thank you, So i assume your using the original O.S. then right? adjusting timing in boost would be nice and if i cant get the fuel to do what i want then I will just use a rise rate for in boost. The biggest issue i had was that my fuel trims were all maxed out in the negitives like the ecm was tryin to correct what i was trying to do, when i started the car with the 2 bar. Maybe I just missed somthing or just needed to play with the pulse width multiplier and the injector constant a little.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EcoBoostCav View Post
    Thank you, So i assume your using the original O.S. then right? adjusting timing in boost would be nice and if i cant get the fuel to do what i want then I will just use a rise rate for in boost. The biggest issue i had was that my fuel trims were all maxed out in the negitives like the ecm was tryin to correct what i was trying to do, when i started the car with the 2 bar. Maybe I just missed somthing or just needed to play with the pulse width multiplier and the injector constant a little.
    Enter the right Injector Constant : http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37279

and Fake 2bar Map. Understand this : http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&t=10205&a=1
    Boost Lover

Potential Tuner
    Thanks yoecotec, i will be working on giving this a shot again. I think there is potential here compared to not reading boost at all. And I think I will try to flaten my timing in boost as stated in that thread, because I see spark knock up high as well and I know this will help.Thanks again

Tuner in Training
    I had the smoke problem with my turbo, thought it might have been because I did not prime the turbo before firing.