Thread: Swapping to a card style maf

Potential Tuner

Swapping to a card style maf

hello, i have a 05 colorado with a p12 pcm and the same maf as the sc cobalt guys. i am beyond the limit of this maf on my turbo build. max freq. is 11khz and i hit and have to add fuel via pe vs rpm.

question is if i swap to the newer card style maf will i effectively raise the ceiling for how much air i can meter? or will the card style hit 11khz at the same point mine does now? or will the entire table be scaled? like 7khz on the card style is what the stock maf will be at 5.5khz?

thanks, cory

Tuner in Training
    While I can't answer your question, I can say that many guys that swap over to a turbo put in about a 6"long section of 3"piping around the MAF to slow the air down some and get back under the limit.

You couldn't increase your range seeing the tune has a max hz's already. Do like guy above me said and use a larger pipe for the maf sensor to help bring the readings down lower.

Potential Tuner
    Hmm. Im have 3" charge piping as it is. How does the output of the msg work? Is it just a 0-5v signal and the pcm uses that to determine a frequency? Or does the maf actually put out the frequency?

I believe the maf works by heating up the little electrodes or what ever the little bars inside it are called that you can see, then based on the amount of cooling it recieves "which would mean more airflow" changes the frequency of the output. So like what the dude said earlier, if you change the diameter of the section of pipe your maf is in then the air will move much slower "or less velocity for cooling the electrodes" which will trick the maf into using a lower frequency at higher air flows. Only issue You can have with this is idle. If you go with too big of a pipe then the maf will see little to no air change at idle and slight throttle cracking. Your basically numbing your mafs feeling so it cant be as precise.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Potential Tuner
    Well I wonder why people change to the newer style maf then? Its got to help out somehow

I don't see why you couldn't raise the maf fail high frequency to whatever the sensor is capable of reading since the maximum value that can be used is 16384 Hz. The stock 3.5 MAF can only go to 11000 Hz supposedly and the 08+ 3.7L MAF's can go to 14500 Hz. According to the tune at least.

Potential Tuner
    Well the table stops at 11khz. So anything above 11k is useless. I just need to do some research elsewhere to the people that have swapped. I figgured the tvs cobalt guys could max there's and see what they are doing

Your 2005 controller / calibration is hard-coded with a maximum MAF flow of 512 g/s - not way to change this limit. Most often tuners will "scale" the tune in a FI application as a work around.

Often a little more research before diving head long into a project will save you time and money in the end.

I see now what you're saying Cory unless you email support to see if they could lengthen the table to 15000 Hz to utilize the card style maf.

Potential Tuner
    512g/sec is like 67lb/min. Far more than I am going to move lol

I guess I wil just bite th bullet an try it out. I've wasted 50 bucks on worse I suppose