Thread: 5.3 tune problems

Tuner in Training

5.3 tune problems

I was curious if the pros around here could take a look and possibly see any blaring problems in with this tune.Its an 5.3 running on 01 5.3 os with the tables copied from an 05 5.3. I have done this before and its worked fine but for some reason I can't get this engine to run properly. It ran great one time with the current tune. I shut it down then restarted a few minutes later and it does not want to run right. Also the timing is jumping everywhere at idle, and for some reason its not populating my fuel trim tables, just getting 0's. Any ideas?

Hope someone can help. Thanks
    Life is short, have fun and go fast! DONT WORRY!

1964 C10 6.0/T56 - Twin Turbo in works
    1984 Z28 LS1/T56
    2003 Dakota RT - Long tubes true dual all the way

Senior Tuner
    get out my soapbox,"YOU CAN NOT STEAL DATA FROM ANOTHER VEHICLE AND EXPECT IT TO WORK FOR YOURS!", put soap box away. If you took a ls6 engine and put it straight in the data from an ls6 could go straight across, but if you have a 2001 engine and a 2005 engine tune will not be accurate. Different camshaft, different engine. Put the stock data back, tune it if required.

You have no IAT and no ECT which is why you cannot get into closed loop and have no fuel trims.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 10-23-2011 at 04:48 PM.

^^ This

Not to mention there are a few, rare, tables in the PCM's we don't even have command over in HPTuners and settings from one vehicles tune might not jive with these unchangeable settings in the original PCM.

Custom PCM Tuning in Hollywood Ca

Tuner in Training
    Ok, well I have done this before and the engine ran great. I have an 05 engine and put the 05 pcm tables onto a pcm from an 01 5.3. So y'all are saying with this setup there are tables different in the pcm which we can't access with hptuners therefore cant copy that specific data over? So no matter what tables I change it may have specs for the 01 still in it?

1984 Z28 LS1/T56

Senior Tuner
    Ok, you did not provide all the info. You could copy across the VE and timing tables. You are not running a maf, but if you were that should stay 2001. This all assuming everything is totally stock. Your main problem right now is you do not have an ECT sensor. I would also recommend getting a stand alone IAT if you are not putting the maf back on.

Advanced Tuner
    ...And why are y ou doing this? To go drive by cable? Why not use the 05 PCM with info from an Express van?

Tuner in Training
    Not going DBW, I got rid of all that and I have a bunch of 0411 pcm's which I use for custom engine swaps. This is the first time I have ran into any issues. I have found another issue I need to get fixed before I continue with the tuning part.
    Fuel pressure is outrageous, putting in an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator tonight. That should fix most of the problems.

I like the 0411 pcm's and every time I hit the junk yard I pick up everyone I can find. Very versatile pcm.

1984 Z28 LS1/T56