Thread: Will HPT help me with motor diagnostics?

Potential Tuner

Will HPT help me with motor diagnostics?

Having issues starting my first LS swap. I need to shut VATS off and planned on getting HPT in a few months, but figured I may be able to use it immediately if it also will check other things on my swap. For example, since I cannot get the motor fired, can I run a scan and see if there is an injector not pulsing or sticking or if the cam or crank sensor is no good? This is a junk yard GEN IV motor so I am trying to look at everything while actually learn how to diagnose problems for future issues.

Thanks
    Greg
    LY6 6.0L with 4L80 trans
    8.5 w/3:73s
    http://www.fquick.com/87SS

Advanced Tuner
    Subscribing, having what sounds like similar issues with my sons car, totally different motor, an L4 with an able to crank & no start.
    My major Hiccup is the Beta 2.23 wont read the car, and 2.22 does not have credits available for that car.
    I am working with support.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Senior Tuner
    HPT is as good as any aftermarket(mac, snapon, ect.) scan tool out there if not better.There is more bidirectional controls then most aftermarket scanners. The ability to plot everything out in graph form is superior in most reguards. I would say it is second only to Tech 2 for gm applications. Its only down fall is its inability to talk to other modules, which most aftermarket scanners fall short on.
    As an example, HPT will allow you to perform a cylinder balance test that will help you identify which cylinder injector is not working. You cannot control that individual injector, but it cuts each injector for a short time period and logs rpm loss to see which injectors affect it the most. A degree of mechanical knowledge is required to use it successfully as a diagnostic tool, but the potential is definatly there.

Advanced Tuner
    The scanner is very good for things engine related. Like mecanicman said, there is no talking with other modules which is sometimes necessary, but not at all what HPtuners was intended for.
    I have another brand diagnostic software I use for module and pre-99 trucks because it will do more engine wise. I rarely use it for engine/trans related things on the GENIII and newer stuff though because HPT will do it and is easier to use.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks guys. I ended up ordering HPT and have had it for 2 days now. I read the entire pcm on the car and am learning how to navigate thru the different tabs. It looks like DTC is where I need to spend some time understanding what is going on. Still haven't found where the VATS is located and how to disable it. Think I am going to order the beginner Tuning School Home edition too so I can get a jump start.

I also have a 2000 Silverado which I also read the pcm tonight and since that starts, was able to scan a minute worth while the motor was running. Too cool how the parameters change when throttle is given, etc.

Can you run a scan without a motor running? For example, lets say I finally figure out how to disable VATS on the LY6 and it still is a no go, can I start my scan by hitting the space bar, then try starting the car. Then I can review the scan to see what may be causing the no start? Lots to learn, looking forward to every step though.
    Greg
    LY6 6.0L with 4L80 trans

Potential Tuner
    Never mind on the VATs issue. Read some posts before that it was under the OS tab, but couldn't find it. Looked again just now and nothing, then recall reading on another site a month ago that it does not show up on beginner view. Sure enough, changed that and there is VATS 1 & 2, along with starter checks. Not sure what starter check is. Will do a search. Man this is going to be a slow process.
    Greg
    LY6 6.0L with 4L80 trans

Potential Tuner
    Quick update. Disabled VATS and she started. Took a little bit to get her to go but she did. Running rough and will cut out after 10 secs or so, think the injectors really need to be checked/cleaned. Also need to check fuel pressure.
    Greg
    LY6 6.0L with 4L80 trans

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    HPT is as good as any aftermarket(mac, snapon, ect.) scan tool out there if not better.There is more bidirectional controls then most aftermarket scanners. The ability to plot everything out in graph form is superior in most reguards. I would say it is second only to Tech 2 for gm applications. Its only down fall is its inability to talk to other modules, which most aftermarket scanners fall short on.
    As an example, HPT will allow you to perform a cylinder balance test that will help you identify which cylinder injector is not working. You cannot control that individual injector, but it cuts each injector for a short time period and logs rpm loss to see which injectors affect it the most. A degree of mechanical knowledge is required to use it successfully as a diagnostic tool, but the potential is definatly there.
    IDK about all that, of the tools I have HPT is pretty far down the list as far as what I would use for diagnosing trouble codes.
    When will there ever be freeze frame & mode 6 data?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sreve View Post
    IDK about all that, of the tools I have HPT is pretty far down the list as far as what I would use for diagnosing trouble codes.
    I don't know what mode 6 data is, but I was using AutoTap for DOS to review freeze frame data back in the late 90's. I upgrade to other products and lose the feature. Many diagnostics listed in the factory service manuals request review of the freeze frame data on the Tech2.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sreve View Post
    Its an opinion, and you are entitled to yours. I am GM factory trained tech. I have had the oppertunity to use a lot of aftermarket scanners. They have come a long way since the 1st gen crap they released, but I still dont like them. The factory scan tools are always the best, but hpt does a damn good job. Depending on what I am trying to diagnos hpt is often my first choice to scan/graph the data. If you can catch the data live in hpt you dont need freeze frame data. But its all in what you are used to and are comfortable with.

Potential Tuner
    HPT Is very helpfull for diagnostics, One on the things i use it for in that aspect is reading the cam offset to set the distributor in the 1996-1998 vortec motors.

Potential Tuner
    I've got a simple question and it is how do I do a engine diagnostics check on my car with Hp tuners? I am at squaare 1 with this so it needs to start with turning the computer on. sorry
    Steve