Thread: Canyon I5 Tuning Questions

Question Canyon I5 Tuning Questions

Hello All. I'm new to this type of tuning - I'm one of those old school guys (I'm 45) and am extremely comfortable dialing in a carburator, distributor timing curve, and transmission shift points by changing governor weight springs. BUT, I'm new to flashing VCM's. I have a 1979 CJ7 w/a roller cammed, TPI injected 383 pumping out 379 Hp, but I had someone else burn a chip for me.

About 2 months ago, I bought a "07 GMC Canyon for my wife. I've installed a Borla exhaust, removed the second catalytic converter, and fabricated my own custom 3" high-flowing cold air intake. I'm now getting left bank fuel trim lean (0171 errors). I know with the I5, there is only "left bank" as only V6's and V8's have both a left and right bank. I'd like to get rid of these errors and improve the fuel economy of this pig! I've only been getting between 15 - 16 mpg. I don't need to make more horsepower or torque, it's a grocery getter for a soccer mom!

I'd like to get rid of the errors, the check engine light, and add some mpg to this hog. I'd appreciate your feedback. My full-size 1989 TBI injected 3/4 ton truck gets better gas mileage than this rig does! How do I go about dialing this thing in to eliminate the error codes and get the mileage up?

Thanks,

Jim

The stock ID of the tube where the Mass air flow sensor is mounted is 2.5" ID so going to have to rescale the MAF for the bigger tube. I put a k&n intake on for an '04-'06 3.5L on my '08 3.7L. This tube has a larger ID MAF housing that requires rescaling the MAF. I can tell you're oldschool by how you say "left" and "right" bank. I was getting the same lean code on my truck before it was tuned.

Talking I5 Canyon Tuning

EMAX - thanks for the reply. Did you wind up having to change your VE tables for the various cam lifts as well? To compensate for the increased airflow w/reduced velocity, you would have adjusted the "MAF airflow vs. output frequency", correct? How did you determine the correct % to adjust it by? Did you use a histogram of the MAF vs. LTFT? I've modified all of my VE tables for the various cam lifts and seem to have eliminated the P0171 errors, but the truck has a terrible stumble when you stomp on the gas from idle.

I have another question - I can't seem to configure the scanner to read either one of the trucks O2 sensors. I'd sure like to be able to see where they are at. I've also been getting P2A01 errors (O2 Sensor Circuit range/performance Bank 1 Sensor 2) since I made the modifications. Have you been able to configure the scanner to read both O2 sensors?

Thank you for your assistance.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a tune for an I5 colorado that I did, didnt change any maps but got it set up and ready to be tuned. It have the correct trans tables for a 4l60e, not the factory garbage and it has the PE enable stuff setup correctly. I didnt touch fuel because I had wideband setup and I didnt touch spark either. Give me a couple hours and I'll get around to opening my laptop and post it up.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Leafy, Thanks. I look forward to checking it out. I've been doing some studying and am going to install a wideband O2 sensor to aide in tuning as well. I was thinking about a Bosch LSU4.2. Which wideband are you running?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm running an innovate lc1 on my car. Oh and if you notice your map sensor reading over 105 kpa in the scanner you need to get the latest beta. I had that issues, it was kind of annoying.

Leafy, Thanks for the update. Can you post the tune you have for the Colorado/Canyon and the update for the 4L60E? Was the Colorado/Canyon tune for the I5 (3.7)?

Advanced Tuner
    No its a 3.5. I'm heading back to my apartment right now.

Here it is, This is correct trans tables, a setup but not dialed in PE section (delay brought down, target afr set conservatively, tps enable set to stuff that makes more sense than stock), Torque management disabled but not completely I believe it still has traction control and 4wd stuff (dad wanted tc just in case and I didnt want to risk exploding the transfer case might be fine though I didnt look into it). Everything else didnt get touched.
    Last edited by Leafy; 06-15-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcj72u View Post
    EMAX - thanks for the reply. Did you wind up having to change your VE tables for the various cam lifts as well? To compensate for the increased airflow w/reduced velocity, you would have adjusted the "MAF airflow vs. output frequency", correct? How did you determine the correct % to adjust it by? Did you use a histogram of the MAF vs. LTFT? I've modified all of my VE tables for the various cam lifts and seem to have eliminated the P0171 errors, but the truck has a terrible stumble when you stomp on the gas from idle.

I have another question - I can't seem to configure the scanner to read either one of the trucks O2 sensors. I'd sure like to be able to see where they are at. I've also been getting P2A01 errors (O2 Sensor Circuit range/performance Bank 1 Sensor 2) since I made the modifications. Have you been able to configure the scanner to read both O2 sensors?

Thank you for your assistance.
    Hmm sorry I'm subscribed to this thread but didn't get a notification of a reply. I'm not into tuning yet but I think my tuner just rescaled the MAF frequency. It's Bryan at reckartperformancetuning.com in Austin TX. He is a great guy and you can call him to see if he can help.

Leafy, what year 3.5 was that tune for?

And, Howdy Mike! (i use same ID on 355Nation)

Advanced Tuner
    Thats from an 05.

Sweet. Mines an 05. Gonna have check it out once i get my hpt working again.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a better one now. I need to pull up my laptop. No more throttle lag on this one (I found the table for that). It needs to be tuned in though, because right now if you arent used to driving the truck you will chirp the tires every time you start from a stop.

Nice. What kind of mods done to it, besides tuning?
    Nick
    1997 Grand Am 2.4L. (gaownersclub.com)
    2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 3.5L (355Naton.net)
    2009 Harley-Davidson XL883C (XLForum.net)

Advanced Tuner
    Drop in K&N and magnaflow muffler. I'm trying to get him to switch to the AEM dryflow so we stop needing to clean his maf though.

I hear ya. Jus cleaned my maf and tb couples weeks ago. Easy, but anouying.

OT, but ya even been on 355Nation.net?
    Nick

Advanced Tuner
    Nope. Havent had a need, the truck has been dead on reliable and that as far as the modding will go. Only issue we have is that the stereo changes the bass for every song no matter what we do in the head unit.

It is a mutant truck, single cab Z71 with the G85 locker. Back before GM even had an official Z71 package for the truck. I dont know what they did to the suspension but its ridiculously stiff, aka it rides like a truck is supposed to.

Yea. How mine rides. Tho now i got the TBs cranked and rancho shocks.

And 355Nation not just about modding or fixing, tho its great for those two. But great place to hang out and talk
    Nick