Thread: How long will hp run on xp?

How long will hp run on xp?

how far into the future do you forsee hptuners software still being able to be run on xp?

do you ever see it being phased out and run only on newer operating systems?

I have several xp machines and havent really seen a definitive need to get vista or windows 7 or whatever latest fanciest name of the microsoft's reitrement fund name is.

while on this topic, can someone explain to me the benefits of windows 7? im a mac user so im out of the loop.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Do we ever see it being phased out, yes.

When? I have no idea.

I will say we are phasing out win 98 support with 2.24.

Win 7 just has alot of neat features over xp and even has an xp mode installer that you can download/install, you really need to use it for 6+ months to find all the features as they are countless.

I wouldn't touch vista with a 10 foot poll.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 01-24-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

As an early adopter of Vista, I have been permanently scarred. I hope XP support never stops. I don't care how many people say Windows 7 is great, Microsoft can go to hell for selling me Vista. I hope I am never forced to give them any more money.
    Last edited by MikeGyver; 01-25-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    2000 GMC 2500 2-bar SD
    Stock LM7, LTs, TBSS intake manifold

Tuner in Training
    Dropping XP support would be a problem for a lot of people. Things have went downhill from XP on for a lot of people. MS is too big to care.

People eventually forget about things. Vista was not a horrible OS, the problem was that Microsoft didn't think about how important being fully backwards compatible with XP should have been.

I remember when Windows ME came out, it was the worst OS ever. One hundred times worse than Vista was. Alot of people had to reinstall the OS from the factory and even then it only worked half the time. But people have forgotten how horrible it was.

Of course the market share of any given product always accounts for how loud of a voice the "bad experience users" have as well. Back in the ME days there were 25% of the computers per household that there is today and the internet still had fairly small visibility outside the tech world, so people didn't hear about how horrible ME was. Nowdays the bad stuff always gets spread louder and faster. I am not advocating for MS, just pointing out that everyone makes mistakes, even big companies like MS, and that you can't always base all future decisions on one bad egg. In my opinion, Windows 7 is by far the best OS that MS has come out with yet. I run it on my old PC that used to run XP and Windows 7 runs faster than XP ever did, and I didn't change any hardware at all. I did have to write my own drivers for a few pieces of hardware that didn't have Windows 7 support, but other than that I have had no problems at all.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by rnjmur View Post
    People eventually forget about things. Vista was not a horrible OS, the problem was that Microsoft didn't think about how important being fully backwards compatible with XP should have been.

I remember when Windows ME came out, it was the worst OS ever. One hundred times worse than Vista was. Alot of people had to reinstall the OS from the factory and even then it only worked half the time. But people have forgotten how horrible it was.

Of course the market share of any given product always accounts for how loud of a voice the "bad experience users" have as well. Back in the ME days there were 25% of the computers per household that there is today and the internet still had fairly small visibility outside the tech world, so people didn't hear about how horrible ME was. Nowdays the bad stuff always gets spread louder and faster. I am not advocating for MS, just pointing out that everyone makes mistakes, even big companies like MS, and that you can't always base all future decisions on one bad egg. In my opinion, Windows 7 is by far the best OS that MS has come out with yet. I run it on my old PC that used to run XP and Windows 7 runs faster than XP ever did, and I didn't change any hardware at all. I did have to write my own drivers for a few pieces of hardware that didn't have Windows 7 support, but other than that I have had no problems at all.
    I don't think vista was horrible either...I used vista home premium on my personal laptop without issue for 2 years and it was rock solid.

With that said I had issues with vista buisness on my work laptop but it was simply because the laptop specs couldn't handle things...I don't think they and when I say they I mean microsoft & many pc companies thought about the minimum specs on these pc's much. I've found that anything less then 2 GB of ram on vista/win 7 and the computer will struggle running it, period. Add in any software over and above what came on the computer from the factory and it will be slow as molasses.

For instance microsoft windows essentials creates a process called msmpeng.exe that runs all the time eating up about 161mb of ram, add to that outlook, then firefox and any other programs you might run all the time like aim, hpt, etc. My laptop right now is using over 1.3gb of my ram and I'm just running programs that I have running all the time.

My work laptop only has 1gb of ram and my old acer desktop that came with vista home basic had 512mb of ram, these are the two computers that struggled to run it.

Our software designer was a huge XP fan for the past 7+ years and ran it on all of our developement pc's until recently he upgraded his personal computer to win 7 and has seen the light so to speak and is changing over all his other pc's to 7 now.

Its a solid platform and I've been very happy with it thus far(which has been a long while now).

-Bill

That was part of my problem, HP should not have offered the computer with less than the optimal amount of RAM.
    For you Mac guys, is Wndows 7 as good as the recent OSXs?
    2000 GMC 2500 2-bar SD
    Stock LM7, LTs, TBSS intake manifold

swebld

Well Vista was CRAP. That´s my opinion; from working with IT every working day for the last 25year. No big customers installed and used it as their platform. And i mean NO Customers. W7 is a different beast. We´ve seen customers with loads of applications having problem in XP moving to W7 being 100% happy with the result. An important factor when considering W7 is that you are protected by the UAC.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control
    I´d say thay if you have a decent PC , just go for it. RAM is cheap. And put in a cheap SSD disk too and you´ll never look back. On top, you get a working hibernate mode
    C5-2000 MN6 LS2 block Tony Mamo FAST90+Ported LS2 TB 100mm MAF AFR 205 59cc CompCam 921 Yalla Terra G5X1 LG Pro Headers LG G2+T1 Chassie LG ducts MOVIT brakes - HPT&NGK AFX
    //Sweden

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Hibernate mode worked fine for me on vista and it had UAC as well

We will do what we can to maintain XP support indefinitely.

That being said, Windows 7 really is nice for just about any pc hardware you have, from netbook, to laptop to development computer.

I was a huge XP fanboy. Once I started using Windows 7 though, 7 is now all I run.

All new development for VCM Suite, and future HPT products will be developed on 7, with 7 in mind. There are a lot of cool things that you can do with 7 that you can't do with older OS's.

Don't worry though, 2.24 will work on XP just fine.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Good to know. I just know that the more basic laptops people use outside, in their cars, etc are usually used because they are cheaper and older. That being said they might not be able to ugrade to 2-3 gig of ram and such. The min system requirements on the hptuners website would never run win 7. Yes, as Keith put it, XP support is planned. But it's more overhead and more testing by supporting XP. At some point all items are old and nothing can be done about it other than getting new and better.