Thread: Does an HPT file contain the entire ECM?

Tuner in Training

Does an HPT file contain the entire ECM?

My current OS is for an 03 GMC Sierra C3500, converted to an Enhanced 1-bar SD tune.

I'm having problems with my DBW setup, and I've recently acquired a take-out pedal, tac module and pedal harness from an '03 1500 Silverado with a Z-code vin.

I found a stock HPT file in the repository for an '03 silverado 1500 5.3 with a Z vin, and a matching BCC to what is currently in my HPT file.

Is it possible that doing a write-entire with this file will do whatever magic is needed to get my pedal working?

for the LS1 PCM's, yes, a write entire will write the entire flash chip.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Good to know. Now I just need to try to figure out how to confirm which '03 OS will work with my pedal and tac. I really don't want to license 3 different HPT files just to write-entire and say "nope! this one doesn't work either!"

Keep in mind that the 3500 will have a 4L80E trans vs the 4L60E in the 1500. I would just fix the issue with the truck's DBW.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Well, I don't know what the issue is (other than... something isn't compatible with the other) It's a '68 C10 with a T56, and all I know for sure is that the gas pedal and TAC module came from the same donor 2004 Yukon.

I've contacted the guy I got the pedal and TAC from and he says he still has the vehicle and can sell me the PCM from it too.

It seems like a very easy thing to do, but without me physically going to the yard and removing the parts, I almost have little faith. Nobody that I'm aware of locally has late-model wrecks, so you're stuck with taking things out of inventory most of the time, and who knows what the part actually came from.

What really blows is that I have to re-license another PCM and convert another to SD 1-bar tune, but it's either that, or give the vin out of my current PCM to the dealership and pay 500 or 600 bucks for a new pedal and TAC that matches my vin and I guess pray that it works.
    Last edited by Jim_PA; 12-07-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so I finally got the pedal working correctly by doing a write-entire with a 2006 truck HPT file.

My original 2003 GMC tune file was converted to a 1-bar enhanced SD OS.

I opened up the OS page on the 2006 file, and it says the 1-bar map speed-density enhanced conversion is "Not Available". It only shows me the option to convert to a 2-bar Map Speed Density.

What do I do next?

Thanks

I need to know how the SD OS is attached to the PCM?

I want to try a new build with a new OSID. Does the SD OS tag to the VCM ID?

I can edit the VCM ID, VIN, BCC, and the OSID to match the original

What's the problem you're having with the DBW setup? I've seen a ton of different issues that are easily fixed...
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jakebdb56 View Post
    What's the problem you're having with the DBW setup? I've seen a ton of different issues that are easily fixed...
    The butterfly is 100% wot at 1/2 the pedal travel. I think it has to do with adjustable vs. non-adjustable pedal travel differences.

The 06 uses a different Pedal than the 03-05... that's likely your problem. You can convert to the newer style pedal though. Same TAC, just different pedal and TAC to pedal harness. Some people have issues switching out TAC modules say for 03 to 06, but I haven't run into that issue yet. Used my 06 TAC on a 03 and vice versa without issues.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon