Thread: Weird runtime error with decimal values

Potential Tuner bluethunder2000's Avatar

Weird runtime error with decimal values

I'm using the VCM editor release 2.22.

I was working the primary VE table and needed to myltiply some cells with a given number, and whenever I entered a decimal number, I got a runtime exception complaining that the input string is not a number in the proper format.

Example: entering 2 as multiplier was OK, entering 2.1 resulted in the exception.

The details indicated that some runtime library could not resolve the input string, and convert it to a double format. I tried other things like putting a comma or other illegal characters in the input and the software remained robust, ignoring this input and not raising any exception. This happens only when using a number with the decimal point in it.

This problem seems to occur for all tables where I tried to enter a decimal number as add or multiply operator.

I'm stumped. I got a workaround, I work the tables back and forth with Excel, this allows me to tune the car by pasting the updated tables in VCM editor.

I realised that my PC was running the .NET framework 3.0 so I uninstalled that and reverted to 2.0, no change. The PC runs XP Home service pack 2.

I have a hunch that this has to do with local language settings. My PC is setup with a french version of XP, which expects the decimal numbers to be identified with a comma (example: 2,2 is the way to write 2.2 in french). My Excel license works that way. I suspect that HPT discards the comma and only accepts the decimal point, and when entering a number with a decimal point in my Excel I get very large numbers, so the routines will provide incorrect output with decimal point.

Any ideas ?

Patrick

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Contact support, I'll have you test 2.23 to see if its fixed.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

OK

Go to Control Panel and check you regional settings.
    I once had a very similar problem and it was because the number format was 2,1 instead of 2.1 (the decimal separator was a comma, not a dot)

I changed the settings and everything back to normal.

2.23 Beta fixed all my language settings(swedish with ",") problems.
    C5-2000 MN6 LS2 block Tony Mamo FAST90+Ported LS2 TB 100mm MAF AFR 205 59cc CompCam 921 Yalla Terra G5X1 LG Pro Headers LG G2+T1 Chassie LG ducts MOVIT brakes - HPT&NGK AFX
    //Sweden

Thanks guys - thats what I thought.
    Damn comma getting in the way.

Tuner in Training
    I had same problems for months, thank god I found this topic right now...

Language : Estonian

we use also comma