Thread: 4L60 Shift problems

Tuner in Training

4L60 Shift problems

Looking for some help, I have a 4l60, It Shift's fine in all gears at light to med throttle, At wot 1>2 shift is fine. but 2>3 shift hits at the right time but immediately downshifts back to 2nd, then up shifts, then downshifts.....
    I watched this with LED's hooked up to the ecm outputs for the shift solenoids because it all happened so fast, and I couldn't figure out how to log it. I am including my HTP file.
    The pcm is a "411" form a 2002 savana van, 4l80 and has been rewired to a work with a 1997 vortec 5.7 and 4l60. I has had a segment swap to work with the 4l60. The swap info was from this thread http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...hlight=411+pcm

Tuner in Training
    Ok not sure the actual tires and gears you have but im assuming that the tune is right, that aside i see something that dont look good.

Auto Shift Speed>Full Throttle Shift Speed, 1-2 Shift is 73mph and 2-3 is 79mph, but your Full Throttle Shift RPM is 5k to me that seems like there is a issue between the rpm and shift speeds at WOT

Do you have a log of the issues you are having if not use this link and download Trans.cfg
    http://ls1tuningguide.com/files/free...s/cfgfiles.php

That may helps us see rpms shift pressures etc.

Tuner in Training

Finally back to my shifting problem

It's been Awhile, I finally got the jeep back for a few weeks, the customer has been playing with it all summer. I have posted the tune file and a log file of the issue.

A few problems i have had are getting the speed shift points correct, the jeep has 37" tires and 5.?? gears. this problem occers only at WOT, it is fine at anything but WOT.

In the speedo setup getting everything right has been a challenge for me, my shift speed vs where it actually shifts differ quite a bit, but at anything other then WOT, shifting is fine. I am assuming the scale is off but it seems to work, not to sure how to set it up correctly, with my extreme tire and gear combo it doesn't seem like I can change things far enough.. This is the first time I have done any tunning on a trans, and so far I don't like it to much.

Where the problem arises is in frame 64 to 69 of the log file, where I am at WOT at 60 mph and it shifts from 2nd into 3rd then 2nd then 1st, (still at wot)

Any direction you could point me in would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    K, ill have you closer Im pretty sure or fixed, when i get home later tonight. do you have a aftermarket Stall?

Tuner in Training

Converter

The torque Converter is stock.

My customer does a bunch of rock crawling and rock racing with this, it's a pretty cool rig, and it works well. If We can get this shifting thing worked out it will be great!

Thanks For the help
    Attachment 25622

Attachment 25623

Try this tune, I had a 2001 Savanna tune with a 4L60E trans that I changed to 37" tires/5:13 gears. Then applied the shift speed & speedo tables to your tune.

You will need the beta to use.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Russ K beat me to it, i was missing my system not using beta, but he hit it right on the money. I would say let me know if it dont work, but I learned from his posts, soooo...lol

Tuner in Training

Once it warms up. I will give it a try

Thanks guys, As soon as it warms up here i am gonna throw that in and see what happens. No windows or top makes for a cold test drive at 48 degrees F.

I noticed on the one you sent back I and change the tire size and gear ratio. That wasn't an option on the version I had, so guaranteed there is at least one step in the right direction. I will let you know how it works out.
    Thanks

Tuner in Training

Works perfect

Thanks guys, I flashed it in and it works perfectly, the nearest i can figure Is the original segment swap something went wrong. TCC slip is now reading right, i can edit tire sizes and gears and it doesn't try to throw itself into first right after the 3rd gear shift!

I owe you one
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Good to hear it worked out.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PWRVTEC View Post
    Ok not sure the actual tires and gears you have but im assuming that the tune is right, that aside i see something that dont look good.

Auto Shift Speed>Full Throttle Shift Speed, 1-2 Shift is 73mph and 2-3 is 79mph, but your Full Throttle Shift RPM is 5k to me that seems like there is a issue between the rpm and shift speeds at WOT

Do you have a log of the issues you are having if not use this link and download Trans.cfg
    http://ls1tuningguide.com/files/free...s/cfgfiles.php

That may helps us see rpms shift pressures etc.
    I was trying to download the trans config file from the ls1tuningguide.com, but I cant use it. How can you save it as a hpt cfg file so that I can open it with my hpt scanner?
    Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by buktooth View Post
    I was trying to download the trans config file from the ls1tuningguide.com, but I cant use it. How can you save it as a hpt cfg file so that I can open it with my hpt scanner?
    Thanks.
    Right click and save to hard drive somewhere, then rename the file extenstion to .cfg (it is .html when downloaded)