Thread: Tip in lean problem

Tuner

Tip in lean problem

Hey all,

I've been noticing 2 small (hopefully) issues with my tune. The car runs great around town and at wot. Running clsd. STFT's only. WOT has been adjusted using my wideband of course.

Issue 1: If I quickly go wot there is always a lean tip-in issue. It shows up on my stft's and wideband. Tuning it out in the ve table doesn't work and would really only be a bandaid anyways. I do have a nw 102 tb and fast 102. I never did change the etc scalar area. Mine is stock. I simply installed and tweaked my tune. Is this the problem? I did try setting my etc scalar to 7200 (seems majority recommend that) the car would not run! So I set it back to stock etc scalar. If I roll into the throttle there is no lean spike.

Issue 2: Whenever cruising light part throttle...ie 40 mph in 3rd or 4th gear (a4 4000 stall) and I let off the gas to coast down at a stop light or what ever it seems the rpms will come down to 900 (idle setting) then blip up to 1400 like I just blipped the throttle. The rpm will come down to 900 quickly its just always a quick flash to 1400 and then back down. I have found that if I sloowlly let off the gas then it won't do it. What should I look for to correct that? It is possibly a tip-out problem related to issue 1?

My logs, tune and cfg are attached. Any recommendations would help!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    05 Torrid Red GTO- TSP 418, DuSpeed intake, ported fast 102mm, nw 102mm tb, TXGiant v2 112lsa, AI 243 heads, Kooks 1.875 LTs, Kooks 3" Street Screamer, UDP, KAAZ w/ 3.73's, gforce aluminum ds, M6 swap, RXT.

I haven't looked at the log yet. I looked at the tune. The idle is commanded to 950 in the first chart and 750 in the second. I have set both of mine the same rpm. Final base idle air table looks low for a 418 and your mods. I have attached a stock table for you to look at. I would have some numbers in the 1600 rpm to 8000 tables. Even if you use the number you have in the 1200 row and use 3.200 in the 8000 row and interpolate. That will let your throttle close a little easier without kickback. I'm sure that is not the correct term.
    The value in the 1200 row was quite a change from the 1000 row, you might want to smooth that a little. Did you log idle air?

I see the spike. I had a similar problem but it was the fuel pressure was set too low on my vacuum referenced regulator.
    Hopefully some of the professionals chime in. Looks like you have a nice setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 08-16-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Tuner
    Thanks for looking. I'll change the idle min to 950 also. I used the idle tuning guide and I think it said that no numbers above 1200 were needed.? You're saying having some values in there may help?

I tried all 0's above 1200 and I had idle surging problems. I have a blower, so I don't know if it affects you the same. One of the regular tuners on here recommended using values to keep the throttle blade from closing too fast and then correcting.
    Look at the dip in your 3d view of your VE table and see if that is the same area that you have the spike??
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 08-17-2015 at 09:03 AM.

About 11 posts down from yours is a post about scalar and includes a post with a calc file.