Thread: Hptuners in a Virtual Machine (os X)

Hptuners in a Virtual Machine (os X)

I am thinking about running hptuners in a VM w/ parallels or vmware on my new macbook pro. I realize it isn't officially supported, but it seems to me that it would work perfectly fine.

I used to use bootcamp to boot to xp and it used to work excellent, I got a new computer though. Should I go with xp again or would it be better to try to get windows 7 (i believe my school has a certain number of student licenses to hand out).

Any tips/thoughts?

Do i have to worry about toasting my pcm if i only do scanning and calibration writes?

My SOM T/A's FQuick!
    2002 T/A: Torquer V3, Full Boltons, Suspension, M6, Lots of misc things.
    My Z/28's Cardomain (13.9 @ 101.1)
    1997 Z/28: A4, Some boltons, Lots of misc things.

Windows 7 for sure...I have Win 7 on 2 different laptops and a Netbook with the HP tuners software (2.22 and betas) installed, all work great.
    2006 HSV Dealer Team - Club Sport - Daily Driver
    Custom suspension, Custom dual stainless 3" exhaust, 1 7/8 custom ceramic headers, LS3 416ci, 2.3 Lt SC 13psi, Triple Carbon Extreme clutch, Dual Walbro externals, 80lb inj

Advanced Tuner
    If you are going to run a virtual machine for just HPT, just use XP.. It is a less demanding os that will get the job done just as well.. Will = less work on your real machine.. Honestly, if I was going to run a virtual machine just for this (actually... I already run one for a different tuner), I would just use windows 2000.. I have that virtual machine using 256mb of ram max.. Runs very fast.. No point in virtualizing a os that requires 512mb (min) or more to run an app that will run on os with less system requirements.

Oh.. Forgot to mention, virtual hd for this setup (with room to spare) is like 2gb... I can backup to the whole virtual machine (with a copy of installed for VirtualBox or other preferred virtualizaiton software) to a dvd.
    Last edited by bilemke; 01-04-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Potential Tuner
    HPTuners + XP + Virtual Software = Amazing. Parallels and Virtual Box are great virtual software to use by the way.

Tuner in Training
    I did this with virtualbox and windows2000. As bilemke said, I chose windows2000 because its the lightest windows version, and since I only wanted windows for hptuners, I didn't need any of the additional tools in xp/vista/7.
    2001 Z28 (slow)

Tuner in Training trx2stroke4life39's Avatar
    I run parallels and xp and havn't had a problem yet.
    2001- Silverado 4.8, coldair intake, custom catback, headers, Stohner Tuned
    2003- durmax dads truck.Yet to be tuned completely.

I can see running the applications (editor and scanner) not being an problem. However I'm interested if there are any special instructions installing the MPVI drivers? Do you have to have MPVI drivers for both the host and guest OSes?

Potential Tuner
    The driver only needs to be installed on the Windows side. It's a pretty smooth setup too. There are no hassles. The HPTuners software takes care of all it.

Tuner in Training
    I've run Windows XP and Windows 7 Pro(64 bit) successfully with HPTuners in both Boot Camp and with VMWare Fusion. For a while, I was triple booting Snow Leopard, XP Home, and Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Now, I've migrated all of my WinXP partition into Windows 7 Pro. Win 7 Pro includes a free WinXP virtual machine if you have software which isn't windows 7 compatible (but it only works under Boot Camp- you can't run a VM inside a VM). So far, I haven't needed to use it.

Tim
    1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34
    2004 Honda S2000
    2007 Saab 9-7X 6.0i
    2013 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT, Stealth Blue

Tuner in Training
    I have been trying to run HPtuners on parallels for a while now, and I have it setup and running.

Only issue I have been having now is getting the USB port recognized under the virtual machine. Any ideas on how to get this working. It just wont seem to recognize the MPVI, weather or not I have the USB port shared or not.

Please help. My new MBP 15" would be a perfect machine to tune on.. Especially since my Toshiba PC laptop just died completely.

If you are running winxp get the program xp-lite to remove all the junk you do not use, I did that and could actually run win xp from a CD-RW with room to spare. I do not recommend running windows from a cd.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Quote Originally Posted by trx2stroke4life39 View Post
    I run parallels and xp and havn't had a problem yet.

same here.... mac book pro using just bootcamp and no problems at all
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

I'm running Hptuners on my windows 7 VM using VM Fusion.

Win7 with BootCamp and rEFIt to boot between the 2 OS's. Been working great for quite a while.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by pHEnomIC View Post
    I am thinking about running hptuners in a VM w/ parallels or vmware on my new macbook pro. I realize it isn't officially supported, but it seems to me that it would work perfectly fine.

I used to use bootcamp to boot to xp and it used to work excellent, I got a new computer though. Should I go with xp again or would it be better to try to get windows 7 (i believe my school has a certain number of student licenses to hand out).

Any tips/thoughts?

Do i have to worry about toasting my pcm if i only do scanning and calibration writes?
    WIN7 by a long shot. Win7 is the best OS from Microsucks so far.
    96 Grand Prix 3100 5-Speed Turbo

T04E 50-Trim Internal WG @ 12psi, Intercooled | HM-282 5 Speed w/ EP LSD | Spec 3 Clutch w/ HTOB Port-Polish-Deshrouded Heads | Ported LIM | 36 lb/hr L67 Injectors @ 65 rail psi | Walbro 255 Pump | 2.5" Custom Exhaust w/ Dual Flowmaster 40s | 97 PCM w/ 2 Bar Map HPTuned | Synchronic BOV | 220A HO ALT | ARP Rods/Main/Pan/Studs/Flywheel Bolts

Gauges: Wideband (data logging), EGT, Boost/Vac, Turbo Oil Press, Oil Temp

Tuner in Training
    I should update my thoughts.

If you're going to use a virtual machine and only use it for HPTuners, go for Windows XP. It works great as a VM with only 512 mb of RAM. On my Early 2008 MacBook Pro, a Windows XP virtual machine is significantly faster than most of the Windows laptops we have at work.

If you're going to use Windows for anything else or anything intense, run Windows 7 in Boot Camp and get Parallels or VMWare Fusion to run it inside Snow Leopard. Just be aware that even with more memory, a Win 7 VM can be slower than a Win XP VM. The nice thing about running it in Boot Camp is that it will be at full speed and peripheral compatibility is more certain.

Tim
    1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34
    2004 Honda S2000
    2007 Saab 9-7X 6.0i
    2013 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT, Stealth Blue

does anyone know if one can just take a MBPro (newer) and run HPT within WINE? will USB compatibility work? I like the idea of not actually installing a VM with a full W7 installation.

I know someone got it to run in linux using wine but I have no idea if it will work with a mac.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

if you wanted to run just hp tuners, just make another partition and run it on there? i have my xp on one partition and 2 windows 7