Thread: PCM bench test

Tuner in Training

PCM bench test

I hope this is the right section..

I am having an issue reading a PCM after building a harness that would allow me to take a peek at the PCM I have. kevinc over on Thirdgen.org was kind enough to post a simple schematic that I built. Below is the error I get from HP Tuners.

I initially tried powering the PCM with a 12V 3A supply, and just tried it with an xbox 360 (12V 16.5A) supply. Same results shown below.

Could this be a locked PCM? or is the PCM fried?

Here are the connections on the one I made (tested on a 02 Avalanche PCM)

PCM connections
    Pin 1 to ground
    Pin 15 to DLC pin 9
    Pin 19 to 12v switched
    Pin 20 to 12v
    Pin 60 to ground
    Pin 59 to DLC pin 2
    Pin 58 to DLC pin 2
    Pin 56 to ground

DLC connections
    Pin 15 to 12v
    Pin 9 to blue PCM conn pin 15
    Pin 2 to blue PCM conn pin 58 & 59
    Pin 4 to ground
    Pin 5 to ground

Tuner
    Mate it is connecting but it is a blank pcm it will need to be tech 2 and have a valid vin programmed

Hpt doesnt allow you to write to blank pcm's which is a PITA as the other brand does. It would be good if hpt would allow a write entire or just vin update to blank pcm. As said before not everyone has access to a tech 2 nor a dealership willing to assist
    Last edited by STATESMAN; 12-15-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hmmm, that is interesting statesman. Considering where I got my LS1 long block from and its condition, it does not surprise me this thing is a blank canvas.

I might know someone with a tech 2. Would he be able to write a generic file for me or is it something I would have to supply?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Hmmm, that is interesting statesman. Considering where I got my LS1 long block from and its condition, it does not surprise me this thing is a blank canvas.

I might know someone with a tech 2. Would he be able to write a generic file for me or is it something I would have to supply?
    i would assume that the tech 2 will only allow valid vin/os combo so if had generic file wouldnt be a issue

All a TechII needs is a VIN and it does the rest. I hate this problem, I just don't usually bitch about it on the boards.

Without having a TechII, EFILive, or a friend who has one or the other, in order for me to help these customers of mine (who are in your boat), I have to literally disassemble the PCM, remove the SMD flash chip (really) and flash it with a bench programmer. Then I get to replace the flash chip and hope it didn't tank in the process. It's pretty ridiculous but it works into HPTuner's double-licensing somehow...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    All a TechII needs is a VIN and it does the rest. I hate this problem, I just don't usually bitch about it on the boards.

Without having a TechII, EFILive, or a friend who has one or the other, in order for me to help these customers of mine (who are in your boat), I have to literally disassemble the PCM, remove the SMD flash chip (really) and flash it with a bench programmer. Then I get to replace the flash chip and hope it didn't tank in the process. It's pretty ridiculous but it works into HPTuner's double-licensing somehow...
    I agree this is the road i have had to use a number of times but you come unstuck on anything other then a ls1 pcm

but the thing is HPT would probably miss out on a credit sale if you had to clone a vaild VIN/OS from a previous Bin file you have tuned, i would be happy to pay a extra credit if it would allow me to simply do a vin number change enabling pcm licencing