Thread: Manually Shifting a 4L60e

Tuner in Training SMG Motoring Inc.'s Avatar

Manually Shifting a 4L60e

Im curious to see if anyone out there has messed with the shift points at all effectively making u shift the 4l60 through the gears similar to a manual valve body. I know rossler just came out with a small control unit to manual shift a 4l60 or 4l80 without an ecu...just thinking it could be done through HPT as well to effectively get the same result. If you havent seen it check it out on rossler's website.

Again just curious if anyone has messed with this using hpt

No one huh? Think i might try a few things and see what i result in... will keep the thread up to date if I get anything worth while

agreed, however im looking into this more so for a racing app for a customer who has requested it... I.E. where short shifting might be wanted due to wheel spin/shake etc.

Tuner in Training custosonlinux's Avatar
    Install the Performance Mode Switch and set up the Performance Tables to shift into the highest gear you allowed with the Gear Selector of the tranny (sorry I don't know the name for it. The selector for P,R,N,D,3,2,1)
    Set the downshift to the lowest speed, possible in the gear.
    Disable kick down at WOT.

If you need help to set the tables, please pm me......

Quote Originally Posted by SMG Motoring Inc. View Post
    agreed, however im looking into this more so for a racing app for a customer who has requested it... I.E. where short shifting might be wanted due to wheel spin/shake etc.
    I'd explain to the customer that the better approach would be fixing the shake. Tire spin happens on the street, no avoiding it if you are making power.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by custosonlinux View Post
    Install the Performance Mode Switch and set up the Performance Tables to shift into the highest gear you allowed with the Gear Selector of the tranny (sorry I don't know the name for it. The selector for P,R,N,D,3,2,1)
    Set the downshift to the lowest speed, possible in the gear.
    Disable kick down at WOT.

If you need help to set the tables, please pm me......
    I must be slow, I had to read that twice for it to sink in

That's pretty interesting, I have never thought of doing that to make it hold the current gear; that's definitely one to remember.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    They would need a Transgo Hd-2 kit.

Setting the shift points would work except for 1st or 2nd. The PCM can command 2nd gear even if the shifter is in 1st. However it physically cannot go into 3rd until the shifter is moved into drive (D3).

I'm playing with this myself, from my experience the shift is pretty harsh when done manually. I need to spend more time with my pressure tables. I'm also putting the TCC on a manual toggle on the shifter handle.

Custom PCM Tuning in Hollywood Ca

I am looking into this as well for someone I know. They want to be able to shift the car on command without a delay from the time you select the gear to the time it shifts just like a old style valve body.
    Chris

They will have to get an old style trans. Tuning won't make it happen and even the full MVB's don't shift as fast as those in the older 3-speeds.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

I have a HD-2 in my 60E and when I launch I just put it in manual 1st, float the throttle if I have wheel spin, and once it hooks a little or gets to a point where I know I can put it in 2nd and not bog it down I just throw it into 2nd.

Also, my shifts are instantaneous with no delay at all. I haven't seen anyone with shift delays using the HD-2 shift kit...
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Tuner
    Very interesting thread even thought it's a couple of months old, I stopped by radio shack and picked up the switch and LED today once i get my turbo kit on i'll be playing with this some.

anyone have any reports about it?

I've been successfully manually shifting my 4L60E with my B&M truck megashifter on a daily basis.

I've got all the upshift & downshift tables set to an extremely low mph, so the PCM is relying solely on the current selected gear. The TCC is on a manual toggle. So far my only complaint is the 2-1 downshift, it can be pretty harsh and will not downshift below 30mph. However, as of today I just installed a transgo HD2 shift kit and have yet to drive the truck let alone play with the tune

Custom PCM Tuning in Hollywood Ca

any updates 4-silveradlmykk

Got a customer with a HCI LS1 (2000 Truck ECU), he is wanting to manually shift it and when he manually puts it in first it will go to second soon after. Trying to figure out how to keep it in the designated gear.

Will a Performance switch have to be used or can I use the Upshift/downshift D2 option for 2nd and 3rd??

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Got a customer with a HCI LS1 (2000 Truck ECU), he is wanting to manually shift it and when he manually puts it in first it will go to second soon after. Trying to figure out how to keep it in the designated gear.

Will a Performance switch have to be used or can I use the Upshift/downshift D2 option for 2nd and 3rd??
    momentary ground switch. can't recall what pin on the pcm, but it will trigger tow/haul aka performance mode in the truck pcm. don't know if the same works for fbody OS's though. to have it stay in first until WOT shift RPM, make part throttle shift tables for performance mode the max MPH in that gear. IE, most truck setups with a 3.73 gear, 4l60e, and 29" tire, will be 40mph across the board for 1>2 shift, 78mph across the board for 2>3 shift, and just max out the 3>4 shift row.

or, just do a transgo HD2 shift kit.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

i agree with Jake, why not just put the max MPH per gear across the board in the shift speed section.

or HD2

I was afraid we would have to add a switch sense its a truck ECU (those came fctory with Tow haul/performance switch)

Going to try the upshift tables by maxing them out first just to try it.
    The trans has a shift kit in it, but not one one he can ONLY do Manual shifting.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C