Thread: Fuel Guage ground for data logging

Fuel Guage ground for data logging

I just bought an Autometer fuel pressure guage so I could log the fuel pressure but I know some guages use a ground return signal. My question is do I have to input the guages' ground to the EIO plug & if so can i put it in the same slot/cavity that my wideband is in?
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Quote Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
    I just bought an Autometer fuel pressure guage so I could log the fuel pressure but I know some guages use a ground return signal. My question is do I have to input the guages' ground to the EIO plug & if so can i put it in the same slot/cavity that my wideband is in?
    the power ground can NOT go to the EIO
    the 0-5 volt ground goes to pin 5 of the EIO

because of how the MPVI was built it allows for a floating ground from the 0-5 volt inputs...
    so you can ground the gauges power and its 0-5 volt ground to the same spot and it doesnt need to connect the ground to the EIO...its actually better if you dont so you can avoid a ground loop/voltage offset issue
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    the power ground can NOT go to the EIO
    the 0-5 volt ground goes to pin 5 of the EIO

because of how the MPVI was built it allows for a floating ground from the 0-5 volt inputs...
    so you can ground the gauges power and its 0-5 volt ground to the same spot and it doesnt need to connect the ground to the EIO...its actually better if you dont so you can avoid a ground loop/voltage offset issue
    Thanks glad I asked.
    Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 03-23-2009 at 04:09 PM.

What exactly do you need to log fuel pressure? Can you buy just a sending unit? I really have no need for the gauge (monitor a/f via wideband) and no place to put another gauge but I wouldn't mind being able to log FP.
    2001 SS - 4L80E - Vigilante - Moser - APS Twins

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
    What exactly do you need to log fuel pressure? Can you buy just a sending unit? I really have no need for the gauge (monitor a/f via wideband) and no place to put another gauge but I wouldn't mind being able to log FP.
    Well I called Autometer and the only guages that have a data logging output are the analog guages & mine happens to be a digital. The tech I talked to said that the purple wire to the sending unit transmitts the 0-5V signal and that I could try tapping that so thats what I'm gonna do.

I want a guage in my car because I dont always have a laptop in my car to monitor things and I like to keep an eye on the vitals always.

Yep...just run the purple wire to the interface, and ground the gauge wherever is convenient (mine is under the dash somewhere). That's all it takes to log fuel pressure (besides setting it up in the scanner).

Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
    Yep...just run the purple wire to the interface, and ground the gauge wherever is convenient (mine is under the dash somewhere). That's all it takes to log fuel pressure (besides setting it up in the scanner).
    Did the preset autometer PID not work?

Quote Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
    Did the preset autometer PID not work?
    It didn't exactly match up to what the gauge was reading for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
    It didn't exactly match up to what the gauge was reading for me.
    Gotcha, thanks for you help