Thread: WB Install Location

Tuner in Training

WB Install Location

I just purchased the NGK/AFX wide band and have a few questions about the location. Here is what they recomend.

"The AFR sensor should be located between 12” and 48” from the engine, upstream of any catalyst device if so equipped. The closer the sensor is to the engine, the more likely it will be overheated, possibly shortening its life."

Now when I had my truck on the lift getting ready to install the bung I had this feeling of how in the world is this going to work. My truck has the duel cats exiting right out of the manifolds so there really does not seem to be enough room to add the sensor before the cats especially since it already has the original O2 sensors there. Also based off of the instructions that would be to close to the cats and engine anyway. So I guess my question is how bad would it be to place farther downstream after the Y and before the muffler, how off will it truly be? They sell the adapters to place it in the end of the tail pipe so is it really going to effect my tuning efforts? What type of adjustments would need to be made if it does need to go in the alternate location?

Any info would be great

you need to relocate the cats further downstream...
    placing wideband after cats will yield a false reading
    your sensor has to be before the cats...
    realistically...the stock narrowbands probably wear out fairly quickly on that vehicle for the same reason stated above...just too dam close to the heat
    you can try to put on in as it sits, but you are going to need a heatsink (like the Innovate HBX-1) and you still might kill the sensor kind of fast...
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Thats not the answer I was hoping for, but sometimes the truth hurts. I really did not want to get into modifying the exhaust since it is an 08 sierra Denali with only 8000 miles.

I always install the WB in place of the stock LF O2 sensor when tuning.

Russ Kemp

I try to do it in in the rears when there are no cats....but then the cats exist I also just do a front one...
    personally I do the Passenger side O2....everybody has issues with the #7 cylinder....and 7 is last one on Passenger side...
    so I tune that side since its obviously the one that gets too lean if its blowing up pistons....better safe than sorry
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Well since the WB sensor NEEDS to be upstream of the converter I decided to bring it to a different shop to see if they could get the bung in. They lowered the exhaust did what they needed and put in the bung upstream of the cat on the driver side. But since the it was already on the rack I did have them put in another one past the cats and after the Y. That way once the logging and tunning are done I will be able to move it and use it ONLY as a reference to monitor any odd changes. Plus it should last longer away from the extra heat (I will not use this location for tuning purposes). Now I just need to get the wires run and from there to do a scan and start tuning the correct way. I will post a scan after everything is hooked up just to verify that nothing looks out of line before it start making changes.
    Thanks for the info guys