• NGK with NTK sensor

2 33.33%
  • Innovative LM-2

1 16.67%
  • FAST

1 16.67%
  • Zeitronics

1 16.67%

Thread: What's best WB for both diesel + Gas motors?

Potential Tuner

Cool What's best WB for both diesel + Gas motors?

I'm looking at buying a new Wideband O2 and want to have the option of switching it between my vehicles and friends' vehicles to tune them. I have a turbo car, motorcycle, and turbo diesel truck that I want to use on. Everytime I go to a turner (dyno) and ask which Wideband (retail ones $150 - $900) to buy they tell me none are worth buying that they are very inaccurate and tuning with them can lead to disaster.

So I've read many reviews on this board and few others and seems like many people are able to tune there cars accurately with a cheaper wideband. In my car and truck i have custom ECU setup so I can datalog but my crotchrocket only has a power commander so I'm also trying to find something that can do it's own datalogging like the new Innovative LM2, Zeitronics, FAST, etc...

From what I've read on this board the inaccuracy might be the Bosch sensor and to replace it with the NGK NTK, but do all these units support the NGK. I'm at the crossroads, do I spend the $500 and start datalogging and tunning with my own wideband or continue to goto dyno spend lot of money but can trust the high dollar equipment?

I need something that can provide accurate air/fuel data and hopefully also be a stand alone datalogger for use on any vehicle for under $500.

What is the best pick? PLX, FAST, Zeitronics, NGK, Innovative(I've read on there own boards the problems with the new LM2)

any wideband o2 will work for almost any fuel..
    they read Lambda...not AFR...
    AFR is a function of Lambda....
    Lambda 1.0 x 14.7 = 14.7:1
    Lambda 0.85 x 14.7 = 12.495:1

what you may need to do is make a custom AFR PID for whatever fuel you are using...(gas is different than diesel is dofferent than E85 etc...)
    -Scott -

Potential Tuner

re:

What do you mean by a "custom AFR PID"? Do you mean the box that plugs to wide band O2 sensor?
    2001 Z06, 1998 supercharged M3, 1995 Turbo Accord H22a, built 360 Jeep Wrangler, 2002 Duramax, 2003 R1

someone please correct me if im wrong (im still new to this whole tuning thing) but you will have a really hard time tuning a diesel with a wide band. the reasons... 1 diesels idle extremely lean. usually leaner than 16:1 AFR which i believe is the max on most wide bands. you must remember that a diesel idles on the least amount of fuel as possible because there is no throttle body to control airflow. 2 at WOT some diesels will actually be as rich as 9:1 AFR or more (high hp trucks will be way less than that) which i believe is the lowest on most wide bands.
    08 GMC rcsb 2wd. 4.8/4L80e with a dollar store turbo.
    best so far of 7.25 @ 97.4 1/8 mile