Thread: plx wideband vs narrowband

plx wideband vs narrowband

I have a PLX wideband hooked up to the EGR port so I can log it in hptuners.

My equation for hptuners is ([PID.2811]/0.5)+10.15, pid.2811 being the EGR.

Problem with this is, I am getting inconsistent results comparing my wideband logged error to the stock narrowband error. Shouldnt these be pretty close in non-pe areas, or at least, have some resemblance?

I made a ~80min log of interstate driving (approximately 9000 hits in the 6250 cell), and filtered out any PE or DFCO, then made a graph in excel, which looked like this:

I have tuned my MAF off the wideband, so naturally its pretty close, but the difference in not only the results, but the general shape bothers me since I will eventually be going FI and dont want to have to worry about if my WB is lying to me or not...

Accuracy at WOT is within .5%.

I am using the wideband to simulate that side narrowband, should I leave it like that or just use the other side soley for trims?
    The common concensus i get from reading here is the PLX isnt as good as other widebands, but its what I have and I was hoping I could modify the eqation somehow to at least get it close (say within 3%) of what the trims are telling me.

Any suggestions?

Tuner
    some say the plx (i have one) reads about .6 or .7 lean all the time. I am finding that they tell me to rescale it in hp tuners

many people have issues with the plx
    I tried it in my quest for a wideband that actually worked...
    I actually gave up on the plx after seeing the issues with it not being accurate
    -Scott -

Potential Tuner
    I tried it in my quest for a wideband that actually worked...
    So,what do you use in the time been?Do you recommend something specific?

I ended up settling on the NGK AFX wideband...
    its the same microcontroller as the AFM 1000 which is regarded as a very accurate wideband
    -Scott -

Potential Tuner
    I ended up settling on the NGK AFX wideband...
    Yes,i think most the pro tuners agree with your choice

Thanks

Tuner
    well your not kidding you should see last nites tuning attempt the afr reading was like a huge wave up down up down i couldnt get any meaningfull data from it i have a good bosch sensor just need to find a controller or install the lm1 i bought when i get back home from holidays

avoid the LM1!!!!!!

sorry..had a really bad experience with Innovate Motorsports....
    just search...you'll see why I dislike them...
    -Scott -

Tuner
    damn i can t win is there anyone here in south florida wants to go out on the road with me and some reads with a good sensor/controller i will pay

you can do it with the LM1
    just know that you WILL have to correct it for voltage offset(which is not always linear)
    bascially you need it hanging out in free air..start the vehicle...
    set the voltage to a fixed amount....note what it actually is...make a custom PID with data points instead of linear...its a pain in the ass...
    only reason for starting vehicle is so that you have the same voltage you would have while tuning..

then you need to make sure the LM1 is placed way downstream...cause it will overheat if you have done anything to the car at all....any mod changes the amount of heat you will get from combustion and makes it hotter...especially if you have longtubes...

anyways.....you see my dilemma...
    -Scott -

Tuner
    yes i do what do what a pain in the arse i do have mods 2 turbos makin me 700 at the wheels for now on 14 lbs boost so a good tune is vital i am trying to scale the maf and cant cause the error in the histo is way off due to the sensor so i am tuning by my ass and a educated guess on the readings i amgetting

I use an autometer cobalt series wideband with gauge. It has been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1x2 View Post
    I use an autometer cobalt series wideband with gauge. It has been excellent.
    Do you have it hooked up to the HPT and log it? Or do you just watch the gauge display?
    2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG, 2001 A4 3.42 Vert Vette

Tuner
    it is hooked up and reads .7 leaner all the time dont know how to correct that

Quote Originally Posted by TooMch View Post
    Do you have it hooked up to the HPT and log it? Or do you just watch the gauge display?
    It is hooked up to HPT. I've tuned a handful of setups on my car with it. We compared it to my friend's highend wideband that came with his dyno. It seemed to be dead on.