Thread: V6 Alloytech support or lack of.

Tuner in Training

V6 Alloytech support or lack of.

We are trying to tune a supercharged V6 alloytech and before we took the job on we enquired with vcmsuite australia if there is any possibility of any support once we started tuning to add some extra tables in as as soon as the car goes to 3800 rpm the injector duty cycle drops by 50% as it enters a hi speed or maybe SD mode.

[edited]

So my question is , if we purchase credits from the parent company does that mean we are no longer entitled to support ??

We purchased the cable from VCMsuite Autralia and most of our credits , but these credits always took a day or so to come through , with the new online credit system it is instant and we assumed it was all the same company so we have been using that.

Can VCMsuite USA help us with locating the switch point or speed density tables to enable this car to be tuned.

if we had of know this issue existed and there was not enough tuning capability we would never have taken the job on.

[edited]
    Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 11-26-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    We are trying to tune a supercharged V6 alloytech and before we took the job on we enquired with vcmsuite australia if there is any possibility of any support once we started tuning to add some extra tables in as as soon as the car goes to 3800 rpm the injector duty cycle drops by 50% as it enters a hi speed or maybe SD mode.
    there is no stock supercharged alloytech holden engine so what happens when you put a supercharger on one of these engines it is not surprising that there are issues. No research has been done on what is even possible with the stock ECM code in blown applications or what if anything can be changed to allow forced induction to work satifactorily.

So my question is , if we purchase credits from the parent company does that mean we are no longer entitled to support ??
    you can always get support from HP Tuners, but that doesn't mean this specific problem can be solved.

We purchased the cable from VCMsuite Autralia and most of our credits , but these credits always took a day or so to come through , with the new online credit system it is instant and we assumed it was all the same company so we have been using that.
    VCM Suite is our Australian distributor, HP Tuners and VCM Suite Australia are different companies.

Can VCMsuite USA help us with locating the switch point or speed density tables to enable this car to be tuned.

if we had of know this issue existed and there was not enough tuning capability we would never have taken the job on.
    as i mentioned above the capabilities of the ECM may be limited, there may be extra tables or parameters that can be added to help fix a few things. I don't know since i don't know exactly what your problem is and we haven't done any specific testing on forced induction applications using this ECM.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Good to know that the HPT will still support the product , it will be the last time I ever buy anything off a reseller as they appear to be , so definately a heads up to the Aussie guys to stay away from VCMsuite australia.

The problems occurs at approx 3800rpm regardless of load , it looks like it stops looking at the maf and reverts to a speed density calibration as the injector duty cycle goes from 80% to approx 30% at this point.
    We intend to take some severe timing out of it as you can see it was knocking as delivered to the customer.

The log shows as the car was delivered to us from a CAPA dealer who had fitted a Vortech kit to it and then shoved it out the door , we only want to help the poor smuck out , as we have now used a credit on it after the intial phone call to support , we need to sort it or we are out of pocket.

Is there a switch point we can lift higher to keep it in MAF mode or are there speed density tables we can change to suit.

Are there any forced inductions version in the USA

we don't control their policies but i think it's fair that if you bypass them and buy direct then it's reasonable for them to take the position they have. They provide excellent support to their customer base in Australia and many customers prefer to deal with them directly as it is local and in many cases telephone and tuning support is available. In the next few weeks resellers will be able to provide instant application keys and credits just as we can as we complete the second phase of our online system, so there will be no short delay as there is at present. I think this is a case of misunderstanding rather than any major shortcomings on their behalf.

Please email your files etc. to support so we can track it in our system. I can't promise a fast response to this problem as it really isn't a simple fix and it's not something we have had customers try before on this engine (that we know about) - although there is always a first time for everything

Cheers,

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

i can see that there are still a few torque management things enabled in the file, maybe want to switch them off. Does it feel like it's cutting cylinders or does it just lean out? You also have a lot of knock retard, maybe try pulling down the timing to get rid of that as well.
    Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 11-27-2007 at 05:24 AM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    i can see that there are still a few torque management things enabled in the file, maybe want to switch them off. Does it feel like it's cutting cylinders or does it just lean out? You also have a lot of knock retard, maybe try pulling down the timing to get rid of that as well.
    That is the std file the car arrived with , yes it needs major timing reduction , it doesnt drop cylinders , it just physically drops the injector duty cycle ( we have confirmed this with a third party injector scanner as well as the hpt scanning tool as posted )

changing the maf scaling has no effect at all over 3800 rpm which leads us to believe it is a high speed sd type effect .

The injector duty cycle drop also happens at 1/2 throttle as well

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Try logging commanded afr please in addition to the other PID's you have, I would like to see what the pcm is commanding at that point also if you could log the OL/CL status bit to see what mode its entering would be great.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Try logging commanded afr please in addition to the other PID's you have, I would like to see what the pcm is commanding at that point also if you could log the OL/CL status bit to see what mode its entering would be great.

I logged every pid which is supported , AFR doesnt seem to be.

It stays in open loop as changes to the PE mode are reflected in the outcome , by making it super rich after 3800 rpm I can nearly get the AFR right BUT it thn has a huge transition problem passing 3800rpm part load

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It might be labled commanded eq ratio or something to that effect.

Anyways try setting that injector cut table to 0 in the TM tab.

Either way your gonna be out of injector by 4300 rpms in my estimation as you were already at 85% by 3900 rpms and ramping up at a steady pace.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    It might be labled commanded eq ratio or something to that effect.

Anyways try setting that injector cut table to 0 in the TM tab.

Either way your gonna be out of injector by 4300 rpms in my estimation as you were already at 85% by 3900 rpms and ramping up at a steady pace.
    It is not a injector cut or a tm issues as it purely looks liek it is referenceing a different fuel calculation and then it follows the new fuel calc from that point on.
    EQ AFR or a heap of other pids dont seem to be supported at all on this model?

yep , injector change is on the cards but no point throwing stuff at it if it isnt tunable.

Rising rate was going to be a the quick fix to see if we can get past the tuning issues .

Advanced Tuner
    pm sent, it may be too little to late but it will get you out of trouble and you will be able to run up to 8psi with no problems providing your injectors can handle the power