Thread: TC shudder

Tuner

TC shudder

Installed a yank 3000 stall (slp spec unit) into my Buick GS. It shudders when trying to lock under light throttle. I've increased the lockup speeds to 50 min and up from there. On the DC tables i've tried setting them to 100 and 50 respectively, all it does is bang engage bang disengage. So i tried different values 80 and 40, same results. I then stuck the stock tables in and does the same thing under like trottle lockup, apply apply locked shudder at which time i let out of the throttle. At highway speeds, 60-70 it locks up fine, no shudder. Last night i took it to the guy who built the trans for me (hard parts etc.) he said it doens't feel like the TC. We can manually lock it with the tech2 and it works perfect. Only thing he noticed was the slip rpm, it would read masive negative numbers like -700 etc. Right now i have the DC tables set at 100 max and stock min, it works, not perfect but i get hardly any shudder, if any, at light lockups. Anybody have any ideas for me? I bought this converter 2 years ago and just installed it, i doubt slp would help me, besides they know SHIT about wbody cars.
    98 Buick GSX IS3 Heads/GenVblower/cammed/intercooled and stalled
    02 Collector Edition Trans Am WS6
    94 S-10 with Rancho 3" lift on 33's
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Senior Tuner
    Are your mounts all OK? Stupid I know, but have you checked that all of the mounts are bolted down nice and tight and you havent torn one to shit??

Tuner
    Haven't checked them, but they were all brand new when i put the new trans in two months ago. New solid trans mount and one new solid motor mount. I also installed new solid poly mounts for the uppers. I'm thinking about taking the cover off to see if the converter is still tight, it worked perfect for a month and now it is starting to do this. Driving me insane
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Senior Tuner
    Are you running the same tune as when the car felt good? If you've made any trans changes in the last couple of weeks, other than that I'd definately check the converter to be sure.

Tuner
    Yup, exact tune, that is why i'm lost.
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Set the P0300 code to no error reported. Any misfires detected will unlock the TCC.

Your cam could be setting false misfires.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Hmmm. thats not a bad idea. I do have it to not set a light, is that different?
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Senior Tuner
    yes, you need to set it to no error reported.
    Setting it to "no light" , the computer still sees it, you don't

Tuner
    I'll have to give that a try then, i haven't used it in weeks. The only time it would function correctly and not shudder is on the on interstate going 70+ other than that i leave it in performance mode where i have it disabled.
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe