Thread: Performance Mode

Tuner in Training

Performance Mode

I've been editing my 2002 Impala (L36) for a little bit now. I took off the speed limiters, raised the park/neutral fuel cut-off, and adjusted the fans for an 180F thermostat (still got to remove the O2 code when I put in my three inch downpipe). Now, I've been looking at the transmission.

Really, I want to keep the stock transmission settings. I use my car for school and work, which turns out to be a lot more than times I would need aggressive transmission settings. I've came across articles explaining how to install a Performance Shift button (clear PCM connector, pin 21). I am wondering if adding this switch, and programming the performance tables differently would get the result I'm looking for. I've asked about this on another forum, where I was told to just adjust the normal settings, which is what I really do not want to do. It looks like it would work correctly, but I know sometimes things don’t usually go that route when you want them to.

I got my hands on two stock L36 Grand Prix files, which have the performance tables all filled out. Would that be a better place to start from (just the performance tables)? I figure that the stock programming for the same engine/transmission would be a halfway decent baseline to follow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry bud.... Not an option in the current versions. It is planned for future releases. Hooking it up (gnd to pin 21) will do nothing until this "trans mode" switch is added to the software.
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod

Advanced Tuner
    screwball, (its sfitter777) Like you stated above most people that dont have a performance option just change there normal settings. I did that with my impala and i loved it that way.
    As for wiring up a switch. It would be totally useless right now because hpt dosnt have the shift type switch parameter at the present time. If i could recall right it should be in the next software update.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by devildog9999
    Sorry bud.... Not an option in the current versions. It is planned for future releases. Hooking it up (gnd to pin 21) will do nothing until this "trans mode" switch is added to the software.
    Thanks for the info.

So, if I edit the performance table, then update when it is available, it will just be wiring it up?

Quote Originally Posted by ct06gto
    screwball, (its sfitter777) Like you stated above most people that dont have a performance option just change there normal settings.

I figured I ask here as well, since nobody really gave me a straight answer on NAIOA. Still, it always seems threads that try to be positive there end up lock by some moron. I don't think I was let down this time, as well.

yes, but youll still need to turn it on in the ecm when the option becomes available.

Tuner in Training
    I appeciate it. I guess I'll try to find a switch that will look somewhat like it belongs in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball216
    I appeciate it. I guess I'll try to find a switch that will look somewhat like it belongs in the car.
    Don't know if you found one or not, but if you can find a shift knob from a Grand Prix GTX, you might like that style button.
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Advanced Tuner
    The shift knob part numbers is 10224212. It is $92 from gm parts direct.
    Last edited by ct06gto; 10-30-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ct06gto
    The shift knob part numbers is 10224212. It is $92 from gm parts direct.
    Cool I was thinking junkyard, but $92 isn't bad, plus it comes with the shift button since the GTX had that.
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

I got one from Ed Morad for $35
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Dragon
    Don't know if you found one or not, but if you can find a shift knob from a Grand Prix GTX, you might like that style button.
    Haven't looked...

Not sure about the Impala shifter, but it wouldn't matter anyways. I got a column shifter.

My car doesn't have fog lamps, so on the dash, right next to the lighting controls, there is a 1 inch square. I have also been thinking about mounting the switch on the kick panel, but might just leave that empty until I through in the DRL/ALC bypass.

Still, I might not even get into it. I've been looking at the new Avalanche, and I will likely get one in 6.0L and then install a supercharger. I'll being keeping the Impala within the family, so I may fool with it.