Thread: SD Tuning on a C5 P1514

Tuner in Training

SD Tuning on a C5 P1514

I have been tuning on my C5 using SD. Everything is great until i try to go above 17lbs of boost. At that point i get a reduced Engine power at about 4800rpm. It sets the 1514 code. I have maxed out the table to 4.1 across the board, and even tried deleting the code.

When i deleted the code, it still went to reduced power, just didn't show the code anymore, but i am sure it would be the same. Is it possible i am going above the 4.1?

What would i need to log to check that, and how do i fix it?

thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1itldo
    I have been tuning on my C5 using SD. Everything is great until i try to go above 17lbs of boost. At that point i get a reduced Engine power at about 4800rpm. It sets the 1514 code. I have maxed out the table to 4.1 across the board, and even tried deleting the code.

When i deleted the code, it still went to reduced power, just didn't show the code anymore, but i am sure it would be the same. Is it possible i am going above the 4.1?

What would i need to log to check that, and how do i fix it?

thanks

That's why tuning from MAF tables alone is stupid. You should set maf tables closer to stock and adjust more by PE and injector tables, but a lot of people here would disagree because they always tune by mostly MAF alone...

Advanced Tuner
    At 17psi you have maxed out the MAF table completely. You need a 3-bar MAP sensor, go MAFless and upgrade your OS to 3-bar if you want to pull this kind of boost reliably.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry if i was unclear. This is a Speed Density (SD) tune. It does use a 3 bar map, does not use the MAF.

Thanks for the help

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    posting your .hpt file may help us help you.

Also a scanner log while logging commanded afr would be helpful.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Is your g/cyl airflow going above 2.32? If so I think you may get an automatic P1514.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    It could be, i didn't look at that while making dyno runs. If that is the problem, how do i solve it.

The car has never made this much power before. On 19lbs it will go into the Reduced power mode at about 5400, at which time it is already making 1050 to the tire. This is on a loaded mustang dyno. Have i reached the end of the stock computer capability?

Have you tried just setting the P1514 to no error reported? Clearly it's because there is just too much airflow which isn't really a 'problem' although the PCM thinks so. P1514 sounds much like the P0101 (max delta airflow) which needs to be increased for FI applications.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Yes, i have set the code to no error, it didn't help at all. I have maxed out the 1514 table to 4.1... now i am out of ideas

First off:
    Make sure your fuel pressure/volume isn't dropping off and you're ending up compensating with VE.

Then if you can't find a solution, try reducing the IFR table 10% and the VE 10% and see if you get below 2.32 g/cyl. If not, repeat the process until you can. This way is ugly in a *pureist* way but it works.

Tuner in Training
    Fuel remains at about 75-80lbs at that boost level. Regulator works off of vacuum. I am using an eliminator pump and the A/F ratio is great. I will give your idea a shot tomorrow... I hope it works.

Thanks EC

Tuner in Training
    was this problem ever resolved? i am experiencing the same problems

Advanced Tuner
    just started tunig my new set up here....same problem.
    427 CI and 96lbers.

Yep Nick,

You have the same issue... 2.22 at frame 552. It doesn't report 2.32: probably because it chopped it with the throttle before it reported it.

In your case though, you're super rich so I'd chop down the VE table where you go into the 10 AFR range. Get AFR's up around 11.5 AFR and that should bring down the dynamic cyl air quite a bit so you can rev it a bit more.

Tuner in Training
    Any more solutions to this? I'm smacking 1514 before WOT with my new turbo setup. So far the only way I have been able to keep 1514 from being set is to scale my IFR & VE by 50%. Now that prevents the code from coming up, but the car still hits a wall and it is as if the PCM is still cutting fuel but not kicking it into reduced engine power. It will break up like this every time. If I set the tables back for my 96lb/hr it will pull cleanly until 1514 comes into play. What else is there to change?
    Last edited by CrazyChris; 11-14-2007 at 03:24 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChris
    Any more solutions to this? I'm smacking 1514 before WOT with my new turbo setup. So far the only way I have been able to keep 1514 from being set is to scale my IFR & VE by 50%. Now that prevents the code from coming up, but the car still hits a wall and it is as if the PCM is still cutting fuel but not kicking it into reduced engine power. It will break up like this every time. If I set the tables back for my 96lb/hr it will pull cleanly until 1514 comes into play. What else is there to change?
    CrazyChris please email support with your .hpt file, this .hpl file you posted, a vcm suite infolog & a link to this thread & I'll handle your situation directly as you have a bug in your operating system that must be corrected.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

ttt

Hey Bill,

This post is the reason I e-mailed support (that being you). I did research this problem before I emailed you and I am a very competent tuner (ask Jay whom I just met at the Hot Rod power tour in Memphis on Tuesday). I am using your HPTuners 3 bar OS and am hitting this wall at 2.2 g/cyl ish even with the calc airmass table set to 4.1 (max setting). I have about $15000 invested with hptuners over the last 4 years and I believe I deserve a little more professional response than "Unfortunately we do not perform any in house tuning or calibration work. If you already own our product and are looking For free tuning advice please visit our user help forum at www.hptuners.com/forum".

I am not asking for tuning help. I only wanted to know if there is a bug in this operating system and if you can fix it because I am clearly not hitting 4.1 g/cyl and should not be setting this fault code.

Potential Tuner

Anybody find a fix for this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChris View Post
    Im having this same issue. Whats the fix?

Quote Originally Posted by jaked4484 View Post
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post108295

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jaked4484 View Post
    You need to scale it to lower than 50%. Try 25% instead.