Thread: Newbie to Tuning, A few questions

Newbie to Tuning, A few questions

Hey Guys, Ive been reading alot on the forums here and trying to learn, I havent changed my tune yet, Ive just been playing around with the software and the scanner. The car is a 2001 Camaro LS1, 6 speed. Im still confused about a few things though..

1. For a bolt on car (Headers, No Cats, Magnaflow Exhaust), is VE tuning necessary? Can I adjust the MAF table and be done, or should I do the whole disable MAF, dial in the VE, and re-enable MAF? Currently the LTFT are between 3-9.

2. How do I know what to change on the MAF settings? What should I log? How do I know when the MAF is dialed in, the LTFT should be closest to 0? How do I know what Hz need to be changed in the MAF table? Basiclly Im getting real confused with the MAF table, I completely understand (or so I think) the VE tuning and what not. What info should I log to fiqure out what I need to change? If you have a custom histogram feel free to post!!

3. I have the Pro Version of HPT, my WB02 should be here mid week, should I wait for that to come before I even start doing anything? Will the WB02 help me out a lot?

4. Ive been reading about differences in commanded AFR and actual AFR after VE tuning, and then you change the MAF settings to correct this? Im assuming I need the WB to know the differences? Ill be asking more questions once I get the WB up and running I am sure.

5. Should the PE table change much? When is the PE enabled? A certain MAP or TPS or RPM???

Sorry for all the questions, it just seems like the MAF portion kind of confuses me. Im sorry if these questions have been asked 1000 times, ive done numerous searches and just still am unsure. Please dont laugh too hard at me, again Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all help, thanks, Dave
    Last edited by Blue-Z; 08-26-2007 at 05:03 PM.

I'm sure you'll get lots of response from the 'pros', but here's my take on your questions.

Wait for your w/b. Set your PE table to what you want it to be. 12.8 is a good start. Log Maf Hz and Maf airflow g/sec in the scanner table in open loop. Plot AFR% error against your existing MAF table and correct it. Half a dozen third gear runs should get you very accurate.

Just on the off-chance that you don't have the appropriate histogram, I've attached the one I use.

Have fun!
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531
    I'm sure you'll get lots of response from the 'pros', but here's my take on your questions.

Wait for your w/b. Set your PE table to what you want it to be. 12.8 is a good start. Log Maf Hz and Maf airflow g/sec in the scanner table in open loop. Plot AFR% error against your existing MAF table and correct it. Half a dozen third gear runs should get you very accurate.

Just on the off-chance that you don't have the appropriate histogram, I've attached the one I use.

Have fun!
    X2

Finally got my wideband installed Friday, VE tuning is partially done (Keep overshooting AFR error correction, but getting closer to zero.)

Just copied the VE table over to an OL MAF tune just to see how things will run and what the MAF error will look like with the current state if the VE table. I'll log a few runs later.

Good luck with your tuning
    2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Thanks for the tips and info so far guys, anyone else?

Potential Tuner
    Is there like basic set of changes to make for a bolt-ons car? I have an m6.